Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Angry Paint Scratches From Nowhere

I already know the paint issues on this car.

That said, the past few days I have been noticing new scratches on my car. All of them are easy to spot....around 6 inches or larger...and all can be felt by using my fingernail...they don't appear to be surface scratches, but rather "deep" ones.

I have had one on the top of the hood that's about 6 inches, I've had one on the back above the rear diffuser that's about 7 to 8 inches, and now today I've got multiple marks on my driver's side front quarter panel over the wheel well that are at LEAST 7 inches long. It's starting to make me .

I Turtle Waxed the heck out of the car this past weekend and was able to get the hood scratch looking better...but now its back like I did nothing, and seems to have brought cousins.

Being that the car is black, everything shows...I knew that before I bought it and I'm not griping about that so much as I am just wondering...how does a car that goes almost nowhere and parks next to nothing get scratched?

My car doesn't even see parking lots at stores....my '07 Mustang GT has that duty, and doesn't have scratch one either.

So now I've got fish-eyes on the paint that's left on the car, and scratches everywhere else. It's enough to piss off a preacher. To top that off, I don't even touch the car when I wash it. I have a water softener attached to a spray wand that switches between soap and rinse...so the car has NEVER even been touched with a cloth! And I dry it with a leaf blower, so no chance there for scratches either.

My car just hit 2100 miles...at this rate, it's going to look like crap at 5000 miles.

Has anyone else out there noticed scratches appearing randomly in their paint??
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Is it kept inside all the time? Is there a cat in the area? When I had a dark car, there was a cat that liked to climb on it to warm itself.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
I Turtle Waxed the heck out of the car this past weekend and was able to get the hood scratch looking better...but now its back like I did nothing, and seems to have brought cousins.
Step 1: Throw turtle wax in the trash.

As for the other stuff. The scratches are coming from road debris or your wash habits. Since you don't touch the car, its either things being blown around by the leaf blower or you just have bad luck with rocks.

Mine is a daily driver and I don't have any "random" scratches. I have nicks in the gills that are worse because I have wider after market wheels.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
No cat is doing it. I've seen the same scratches.

Mine is locked in a garage and on security camera at work and parked away from others in parking lots.

It's either shit flying around in the air when we are driving (like someone mentioned), or some twisted fuk going up to it in open public and scratching it.

Only two such deep scratches on mine, but that's two too many.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Turtle Wax products work just fine, just make sure you are using polish to remove the scratches.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
No cat is doing it. I've seen the same scratches.

Mine is locked in a garage and on security camera at work and parked away from others in parking lots.

It's either shit flying around in the air when we are driving (like someone mentioned), or some twisted fuk going up to it in open public and scratching it.

Only two such deep scratches on mine, but that's two too many.
I was wondering if someone was doing it intentionally..but the thing is..my car sits under a carport. The leaf blower isn't doing it...I'm super-anal about my wash process. Heck, I'm using a leaf blower....to dry my car....that should say enough right there.

Turtle Wax...I dunno. I'm not their spokesman or anything like that. My car doesn't go to shows so I'm not trying to make it showroom shine all the time.

If debris is causing this much damage, I'm concerned. Not sure what else it could be because at work, I've got my own assigned spots...yes, I got assigned two so I could double park way out in BFE as I have in my other cars for three years now...and I don't think anyone here has any vendetta with me. I'm the freaking I.T. guy....half these people forget I exist.

I'm just venting I guess because my car is just 3 months old and it's really starting to look bad.

I guess SSBlack and I are just really unlucky with road debris.

Side Note: Forgot to say, there are no pets around the car and no trees to speak of...but I won't rule out animals causing it. Though the carport would prevent anything falling from overhead and hitting it.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Squirrels, I been on a personnal rampage to kill everyne i see, I found some scratches from one trying to get on my hood ,bit it was so slippery he kept sliding off,uugghh, Also what are you using to wash it, I would be using one of those microfiber wash mitts,Also agree with the other guy, throw away grandpas old turtle wax , There are many better brands out there , also what are you using to dry it? Microfiber once again i hope.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Squirrels, I been on a personnal rampage to kill everyne i see, I found some scratches from one trying to get on my hood ,bit it was so slippery he kept sliding off,uugghh, Also what are you using to wash it, I would be using one of those microfiber wash mitts,Also agree with the other guy, throw away grandpas old turtle wax , There are many better brands out there , also what are you using to dry it? Microfiber once again i hope.

I am not using anything that touches the car during my wash or dry process.

And I just had to use the "read the thread" guy because I haven't had many chances...plus I did mention it in my OP.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Turtle Wax products work just fine, just make sure you are using polish to remove the scratches.
That was what I did...but I can see the scratches starting to show back up...the one on the hood isn't as bad yet, but you can tell it's starting to show back through.

Never had issues with Turtle Wax before...and I'm not splurging for Adams.

Worst products I have used were all Meguiar's. Freaking horrible and not cheap...so I've stuck to what I know.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
nm1458

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
I used quixx scratch remover to remove what I would describe as some pretty major scratches. It worked awesome and did it once and haven't had to do it again, i have washed the car at least 10 times since then. Like everyone else said don't bother with the turtle wax.
nm1458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
welcome to the world of black cars
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
There's a reason Turtle Wax is carried everywhere in auto parts, lowes, home depot, walmart... they didn't get to where they are by producing inferior products. But I will say this, Turtle Wax is what you pay for. If you get Turtle Wax (which is generally somewhat cheap), you are getting cheap protection, but protection none the less. No one can produce 20 or 40 dollar high quality wax and sell it for 5 to 10 dollars.

ShowSStopper, the only real thing you can do is buff them out and hope they actually come out. I literally finished my car a month ago to the point it was scratch and swirl free, and so far I have found about 3 more scratches on the paint. So the sad part is, if you drive it, scratches are going to happen. Unfortunately, that is just how paint is going to be.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
I feel your pain with the black. I also experience "spontaneous scratch emergence" I have no idea where they come from. But its not from washing, as I inspect every inch of my paint after washing. If I find a new scratch I whip out the porter cable and take care of it.

I think its just road debris in my case. But since I take care of new scratches right away, my car is in pretty good shape after 25k miles.

My wife take crap care about her black volvo, and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Camaro paint is down right shit! Next free weekend I get, the whole car is getting a fresh buff, and opti-coat 2.0 applied.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by whemming View Post
I feel your pain with the black. I also experience "spontaneous scratch emergence" I have no idea where they come from. But its not from washing, as I inspect every inch of my paint after washing. If I find a new scratch I whip out the porter cable and take care of it.

I think its just road debris in my case. But since I take care of new scratches right away, my car is in pretty good shape after 25k miles.

My wife take crap care about her black volvo, and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Camaro paint is down right shit! Next free weekend I get, the whole car is getting a fresh buff, and opti-coat 2.0 applied.
Do it and don't turn back! I put on opticoat on my car http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250319

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote