Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: Help
Vinyl 19 59.38%
Having them painted 4 12.50%
Buying a pair from Gary 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
a sign shop... just put in "sign shops in (your city)" in google and you'll come up with a bunch of locations.

Almost all vinyl adhesives are pretty much the same so you should be fine getting it from any sign shop listed.

take a look at my vinyl mods and see if you like them. And Im not even good at these type of things lol
Attached Images

ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
a sign shop... just put in "sign shops in (your city)" in google and you'll come up with a bunch of locations.

Almost all vinyl adhesives are pretty much the same so you should be fine getting it from any sign shop listed.

take a look at my vinyl mods and see if you like them. And Im not even good at these type of things lol
oh alright, ill do that and stop by one whenever i have time. thanks your mods look nicely done, did they only take you one try and how long did it take you?
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

yup only one try, but I saw a video on how to do it somewhere on the forum too.

but it's really easy, basically for the emblems when you get ur vinyl start sticking it to the middle of the emblem and then stick the rest of the vinyl outward (towards the sides of the emblem) from there. apply a decent amount of pressure while sticking to get creases out and if you get a crease just peel of that part and restick. Then use a sharp razor or exacto knife and cut out the edges. The emblems even have a little indent on the very edge where you can stick the razor in.

Some ppl recommend heat gun or blow dryer but I didnt use anything like that and I like how mine turned out, so that is up to u.

rims are almost the same but no indent and if you mess up you will probably scratch your rim, so be careful. also the rims are really small logos so they are much harder. You can use a q-tip to apply the vinyl since your fingers are probably too large to really get the vinyl to stick really well. I would definitely do the emblems before rims so you can have a little practice, but when you feel comfortable doing emblems, you should be ready to do the rims =) Good Luck!

emblems took me 15 mins each and rims took 45 mins total for all 4
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Luttinger

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush View Post
oh alright, ill do that and stop by one whenever i have time. thanks your mods look nicely done, did they only take you one try and how long did it take you?
Nice sig....
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
If you only want to do the center, where the gold is, go with vinyl..its cheaper and wont chip and if anything happens you can redo it again easily
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
cnrad

Quote:
yup only one try, but I saw a video on how to do it somewhere on the forum too.

but it's really easy, basically for the emblems when you get ur vinyl start sticking it to the middle of the emblem and then stick the rest of the vinyl outward (towards the sides of the emblem) from there. apply a decent amount of pressure while sticking to get creases out and if you get a crease just peel of that part and restick. Then use a sharp razor or exacto knife and cut out the edges. The emblems even have a little indent on the very edge where you can stick the razor in.

Some ppl recommend heat gun or blow dryer but I didnt use anything like that and I like how mine turned out, so that is up to u.

rims are almost the same but no indent and if you mess up you will probably scratch your rim, so be careful. also the rims are really small logos so they are much harder. You can use a q-tip to apply the vinyl since your fingers are probably too large to really get the vinyl to stick really well. I would definitely do the emblems before rims so you can have a little practice, but when you feel comfortable doing emblems, you should be ready to do the rims =) Good Luck!

emblems took me 15 mins each and rims took 45 mins total for all 4
cool, yea i saw a vid on youtube of how to do it, it looks fairly easy on the rear bowtie and harder on the front. i dont think i am gonna do my wheels though. oh and when you went to buy the vinyl, when you walked into the store did u just ask if they had adhesive vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luttinger View Post
Nice sig....
haha thanks, im guessing it's your car i love it, it looks awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
If you only want to do the center, where the gold is, go with vinyl..its cheaper and wont chip and if anything happens you can redo it again easily
yea thanks to everyone i decided to go with vinyl, just gotta get some time to go down to a store and pick some up.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
cool, yea i saw a vid on youtube of how to do it, it looks fairly easy on the rear bowtie and harder on the front. i dont think i am gonna do my wheels though. oh and when you went to buy the vinyl, when you walked into the store did u just ask if they had adhesive vinyl?
actually I thought it was easier on the front and harder on the rear, but I mean on a difficulty scale from 1-10, front was a 2 and rear was a 3 lol. Not much harder.

yup! just walk into the store and ask if they carry (color desired) vinyl adhesive. If they ask what you're going to stick it on just say plastic. also they're used to selling whole rolls of the vinyl which go for 50+ dollars, so when they ask you how much you want just say however much 5 dollars (or whatever amount) gets me. I got around 8 square ft of orange vinyl for 5 bucks, and the white vinyl for free since i needed very little.

The orange roll has lasted me 2 bowties, 4 rims worth, a couple gills, and I still have about 80% of the roll left. So even a little money can get you a lot. Have fun!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
^^ You really had an easier time on the curved front than the completely flat back? Man you should've done mine. The front can be a real b**ch to get completely flat due to the fact that it has a peak in the middle, but with patience it can be done.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
cnrad

Quote:
actually I thought it was easier on the front and harder on the rear, but I mean on a difficulty scale from 1-10, front was a 2 and rear was a 3 lol. Not much harder.

yup! just walk into the store and ask if they carry (color desired) vinyl adhesive. If they ask what you're going to stick it on just say plastic. also they're used to selling whole rolls of the vinyl which go for 50+ dollars, so when they ask you how much you want just say however much 5 dollars (or whatever amount) gets me. I got around 8 square ft of orange vinyl for 5 bucks, and the white vinyl for free since i needed very little.

The orange roll has lasted me 2 bowties, 4 rims worth, a couple gills, and I still have about 80% of the roll left. So even a little money can get you a lot. Have fun!
haha most people think the front is harder

cool, so any sign shop should have some vinyl adhesive in stock right? for example fastsigns?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
I say buy them from Gary !!! that guy does some awsome work.
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange10s.c. View Post
I agree! Got mine today and they look fantastic! I have tried the chromed outside with a red vinyl insert on my black SS/RS but decided to go with Gary's black bowtie with red outlined insert. Will put them on tonight.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
KATCMRO

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange10s.c. View Post
LOL! Agree, I love mine!!
KATCMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
^^ You really had an easier time on the curved front than the completely flat back? Man you should've done mine. The front can be a real b**ch to get completely flat due to the fact that it has a peak in the middle, but with patience it can be done.
funny I got the front down in one try but I did the back twice since I didnt like how it turned out. I guess I just liked the front since it was bigger and somehow for me easier lol
Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
haha most people think the front is harder

cool, so any sign shop should have some vinyl adhesive in stock right? for example fastsigns?
yup