Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Agressive shifting .... ever had this happen?

background: My camaro lives in downtown/midtown Houston. I rarely get to do any highway driving or really any driving above 30-50 mph .... I hate tickets so I putt like a grandpa most of the time

So this past weekend I went to my hometown temple tx for the wife's baby shower. Small town. Lots of country roads. I was feeling like it was time to "stretch" the camaros legs a little. It's friday afternoon, i'm in that good mood you get when you know the weekend is just starting. Put on some heavy rock and stepped out 20 miles deep into the country to the middle of nowhere. Like no one can hear you scream middle of nowhere.

I had just watched lizard lick towing thursday night. Some d*ck in a ferrari tried to outrun the tow crew and got boxed in. He did a sweet 180 tail whip on a two lane road and started running the other way. I chuckled to myself when I watched it thinking "I can do that better than you." Well here was the opportunity to put my money where my mouth was.

Tapped the TC button once. TC off. Revved up dumped the clutch pitched that bitch sidways and pulled off a beautiful 180. Than it kept going to about 225 than 270 than I overcorrected back straight and took off hard. One fluid motion. Ok, guess the ferrari driver made it look prettier, he must be able to afford driving school or I am just rusty. W/e. Back to punishing those pirellis

So I thought i'd run it to the top of third gear off that tail whip. 1-2 shift lost a little traction *cool* kept going in 2nd. Get to the top of 2nd and shift WOT into 3rd. Shift into third and the tires light up zero traction and the car cuts power and wham my head nearly went into the steering wheel and I get off of it. Slow down to stop.

What the hell?!? I have shifted this car before numerous times 2-3 WOT and it never broke loose before. 10,000 on the pirellis very light use. I was really surprised my car didn't break crazy loose on the 1-2 shift if it lost so much traction on the 2-3.

So I go home change my undies have a cold one and never thought about it again until now.

I say all of that to say this. I've noticed people on the forum commenting that their cars "breaks loose" in 3rd gear if they downshift on the highway. Mine has never done that or been able to. I was pretty shocked that it roasted them in 3rd on a straight line pull.

Anyone else have traction issues shifting WOT 2-3 3-4?

Also

I'm guessing stabilitrak cut my power? I am not sure why the car just fell on its face like that. Never done that before. Anyone else ever experience this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
If spinning that hard you might have bounced off the rev limiter.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
If spinning that hard you might have bounced off the rev limiter.
This is the only time i have experienced what i think you described.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yea, when you bounce it off the rev limiter, it will fall flat out of power, happened to me many times, and your stibilitrack will keep the car kinda in control but when I want to get crazy, it turn both off and you have more control of what YOU want the car to do, not what the computer says you can't do..More fun.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Pretty sure I didn't hit the limiter at the top of 3rd. I was fast on my way though. The car just has never "roasted" them shifting WOT into 3rd. Maybe when I lost traction it just happened so fast I missed it.

And

Maybe my pirellis are junk already 10,000 easy miles and they cant handle an occasional WOT run ... Sure isn't the amount of horsepower I'm putting down

Vararam
Muffler Delete
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Try to duplicate the "Roast" in third gear, it could have just been the conditions at the time. Your numbers are typical LS3 numbers with what mods you have done.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Uileat

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
If you want to turn off everything you need to hold the TC button for several seconds. One tap turns off TC, two taps turns on Launch Control, holding it down for 5-10 seconds disables everything.
Uileat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I can break mine loose from 2-3 every time, even with TC on (though it tames it very quickly). Without TC, it's roasting and wheel hopping all over the road. It'll do more than chirp on a 3-4 also at WOT.
I have a Dusk edition with the 21" wheels thought, so I'm probably more likely than most to lose traction.
Car only has 5200 miles on it so tires still sticky.
Dupree878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I'm guessing that when the rires broke loose, the rev's went up so quickly you hit the rev limiter before you realized it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
background: My camaro lives in downtown/midtown Houston. I rarely get to do any highway driving or really any driving above 30-50 mph .... I hate tickets so I putt like a grandpa most of the time

So this past weekend I went to my hometown temple tx for the wife's baby shower. Small town. Lots of country roads. I was feeling like it was time to "stretch" the camaros legs a little. It's friday afternoon, i'm in that good mood you get when you know the weekend is just starting. Put on some heavy rock and stepped out 20 miles deep into the country to the middle of nowhere. Like no one can hear you scream middle of nowhere.

I had just watched lizard lick towing thursday night. Some d*ck in a ferrari tried to outrun the tow crew and got boxed in. He did a sweet 180 tail whip on a two lane road and started running the other way. I chuckled to myself when I watched it thinking "I can do that better than you." Well here was the opportunity to put my money where my mouth was.

Tapped the TC button once. TC off. Revved up dumped the clutch pitched that bitch sidways and pulled off a beautiful 180. Than it kept going to about 225 than 270 than I overcorrected back straight and took off hard. One fluid motion. Ok, guess the ferrari driver made it look prettier, he must be able to afford driving school or I am just rusty. W/e. Back to punishing those pirellis

So I thought i'd run it to the top of third gear off that tail whip. 1-2 shift lost a little traction *cool* kept going in 2nd. Get to the top of 2nd and shift WOT into 3rd. Shift into third and the tires light up zero traction and the car cuts power and wham my head nearly went into the steering wheel and I get off of it. Slow down to stop.

What the hell?!? I have shifted this car before numerous times 2-3 WOT and it never broke loose before. 10,000 on the pirellis very light use. I was really surprised my car didn't break crazy loose on the 1-2 shift if it lost so much traction on the 2-3.

So I go home change my undies have a cold one and never thought about it again until now.

I say all of that to say this. I've noticed people on the forum commenting that their cars "breaks loose" in 3rd gear if they downshift on the highway. Mine has never done that or been able to. I was pretty shocked that it roasted them in 3rd on a straight line pull.

Anyone else have traction issues shifting WOT 2-3 3-4?

Also

I'm guessing stabilitrak cut my power? I am not sure why the car just fell on its face like that. Never done that before. Anyone else ever experience this?
I had the same experience trying to break loose. You only turned off your TC so looks like your stabilitrack kicked in.
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
you bounced off rev limiter ... pirellies also dont like cold roads ... traction not nearly as good as on hot or warm road ...
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

not to side track the thread but what does WOT mean ... i can guess it something something to do with "power shifting" .. please keep abuse to minimum as i am very sensitive
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
WOT mean wide open throttle
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
WOT mean wide open throttle
thank you. not sure i like the term "dumping" the clutch, I have always associated that term with poor driving skills, i know the op didnt mean it that way. I always cringe when i hear that phrase.