Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
zackzl1

Drives: 2013 black on black ZL1 6spd man
Is this worth the $ ?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=63-3079

what is better, roto fab or this?
zackzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my .02 is this no it is not worth $799. Some have said they got it cheaper though so this is how I would decide.

1. rotofab if you don't want the carbon finish.
2. k&n if you do as it is real carbon fiber.

sombody said they paid $590 for a k&n. the rotofab can be had for $399 though without the carbon hydrodip finish.

then again I am not huge hydrodipped carbon fan but to each there own.

I just went normal rotofab but I am not spending money to bling this car out all funds are going towards making it faster period.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
CAI inc is a lot better and cheaper. $399

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession

2010 Camaro V6 1LT | Kooks Catback Exhaust + MBRP exhaust tips | TF3 Stripes | GM Transformers Emblem and Door Sill | Stillen splitter | GMX rear diffuser | K&N CAI | Pulstar iridium spark plugs. | Gm High Wing Spoiler | BBK LT Headers | BMR 4 Point Strut Bar | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | ZL1 Side Skirt | Black Ice-olator | Trifecta Tune |

My Build Thread
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
my .02 is this no it is not worth $799. Some have said they got it cheaper though so this is how I would decide.

1. rotofab if you don't want the carbon finish.
2. k&n if you do as it is real carbon fiber.

sombody said they paid $590 for a k&n. the rotofab can be had for $399 though without the carbon hydrodip finish.

then again I am not huge hydrodipped carbon fan but to each there own.

I just went normal rotofab but I am not spending money to bling this car out all funds are going towards making it faster period.
Word, I love how they get away with calling it a Carbon Fibre Lookalike, Real Carbonfiber doesn't look like crap
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
CAI inc is a lot better and cheaper. $399
They don't make one for the ZL1 yet. IMHO, the Roto-Fab is priced right, the build quality is top notch and it dynoed an extra 25-30 RWHP too. It was easy to install and really makes that supercharger whine. It's your choice. OP, if you can find the K&N for cheaper, maybe check it out.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Hands down Roto-Fab !!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have used K&N products on all my vehicles for many years with great results. HOWEVER!! I purchased the Roto Fab cai for my ZL1. I have to say first off the customer service is top notch and the product and the quality is excellent! They are the little guy so to speak but they have earned themselves a pretty strong reputation. Also it's nice to see the support and feedback they have given to the forum members here! It shows they care about your business! To me it's all about how you treat people in this world and Roto Fab most definitely has displayed the proper way to do things! Both products perform well but the staff at Roto Fab is hard to beat! Plus I got a complementary kick ass tee shirt with my order!

Last edited by Tyler H; 03-06-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Vyscera

Drives: 07 K2500HD
heat barrier

Doesnt CF absorb less heat, making it a better barrier from the warm air around the engine?

If it goes vroom or boom I'm interested.
Vyscera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The sweet thing about the K&N is the tube and the heat shield are both made or real Carbon fiber. This drives the cost up quite a bit. Is it worth it? to some yes, to others no.. That said, we have them for cheaper than the K&N site has them listed.

The more cost effective alternative is the Roto-Fab. Roto-Fab makes excellent intake systems and you will not be disappointed with their system. We have great deals on this system as well.

The Airaid is also a great choice, however that system does require tuning..

Please feel free to call, PM email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
http://ecustomhitch.com/i-11945499-k...mance-kit.html has it for $572.10

Will price match that and you get a free recharge kit: http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3477523.aspx
Also today they have a 15% off sale, you might be able to get that idk. I've bought from them before, they're legit.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
I have used K&N products on all my vehicles for many years with great results. HOWEVER!! I purchased the Roto Fab cai for my ZL1. I have to say first off the customer service is top notch and the product and the quality is excellent! They are the title guy so to speak but they have earned themselves a pretty strong reputation. Also it's nice to see the support and feedback they have given to the forum members here! It shows they care about your business! To me it's all about how you treat people in this world and Roto Fab most definitely has displayed the proper way to do things! Both products perform well but the staff at Roto Fab is hard to beat! Plus I got a complementary kick ass tee shirt with my order!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I bought mine from Maryland Speed for $589 shipped before the crazy price increase. It's a real nice piece. I should have dyno numbers in the next few weeks or when the snow melts.

DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I bought mine from Maryland Speed for $589 shipped before the crazy price increase. It's a real nice piece. I should have dyno numbers in the next few weeks or when the snow melts.

Look at the upper right corner of the air box. There is a gap where it is not sealing out hot air from the engine compartment. How can it be a true efficient CAI?
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
We sold 5-6 at the low $586 price...then we realized that this part is special, and K&N's normal discount does not apply. Needless to say, the price got jacked.

In terms of the part itself...I have owned lots of cars...including now this ZL1...and there is NO WAY...I would spend $800 on an intake...real carbon fiber, solid gold, or whatever. There is not much value there.

I think K&N is pretty silly for not offering this in normal plastic.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote