Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
torque to yield? blue loctite?

Hello fellow members,
Why is it that suspension instructions, bmr, pfadt,hotchkis and others never mention using blue loctite or throwing away your bolts because they are only "supposed" to be used once? I was not worried about my install (bushings,tie rods,trailing arms,lowering springs) because it was done with 2000 miles but should I be concerned??
The only bolts I thought to change out are the caliper bolts. Am I wrong? Alignment shops or dealer for sure does not change the bolts or even put loctite. A lot of them don't ever use a damn torque wrench unless you give them torque specs and insist.
What have you guys done with your personal installs?
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I have only done brakes, not suspension (yet). So I can't fully answer your question...

For any parts swap work, I obtain a print out of the Chevrolet instructions for the parts involved and determine if any of the bolts (or other parts) are single use only. If so, I order them.

On my brake caliper installation that meant caliper bolts (come with Loctite on the threads) and axle nuts.

I would hope that if you ask the aftermarket vendors they will tell you if you need to buy any additional single use items. That information should definitely be in their instructions.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I have taken my suspension and brake caliper bolts in and out several times. Never replaced anything. But I always use blue Loctite on the threads and torque to the proper values. If you buy the new bolts from GM, they will have a dry form of thread locker on the threads, that is only good for one use. Personally, I think it's just a way for GM to make more money off the customer!!! It's easier for them to say just replace the bolt rather than try to explain what type of thread-locker to use!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
camaro500

Thank you for the feedback. I have blue loctite and will use it next time i remove a suspension bolt. Some of my bolts still had plenty of that blue loctite left on from the factory. Maybe i should have applied a tad extra?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Some bolts are TTY (torque to yield) and should not be reused. You can get away with using TTY bolts with loctite once, but it's still not the best solution. TTY bolts will have a certain torque specification you reach, then you have to do an additional 90-180* rotation to stretch the bolts.

Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
camaro500

Damn what a PITA
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
camaro500

Thank you JDP
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
camaro500

Sorry about the bump here but I am still fascinated about the fact that I need to replace 10 bolts on my car because of lowering springs. The bolts are brand new! The car is new! How could they be garbage after 1 use? How has such a large bolt been streched under such little torque? Lower control arm to knuckle 30 ftlbs plus 120 degrees and the bolt is strecthed. Garbage? Have all of you ordered 10 bolts for your cars for springs plus 4 bolts for rear cradle for bushings?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Here is a document discussing torque to yield bolts for head gasket applications.

If I read between the lines correctly, it sounds like bolts that operate in high heat conditions provide better overall (hot/cold) clamping force if they are torque to yield.

I'd like to see pics of the before/after of our torque to yield caliper bolts. Do they become visibly longer in the unthreaded shaft? I don't see how the thread pitch could change otherwise they would be hard to remove.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Torque To Yield Headbolts.pdf (10.6 KB, 310 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
camaro500

I will buy the bolts for peace of mind when driving fast but I think it is ridiculous that GM puts bolts in the suspension that are massive, galvanized, yet can only be used ONCE! What a waste of time and money.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
camaro500

Update! Spoke to the parts guy and the service manager at chevrolet and they confirmed with me that they never replace any bolts in the suspension linkage because they DO NOT STRETCH. The only bolts they tend to replace are those for the callipers. Bolts and gaskets on the MOTOR (heads,intake,pulleys ect.) are ALWAYS REPLACED. Again, confirmed by chevrolet.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
Hello fellow members,
Why is it that suspension instructions, bmr, pfadt,hotchkis and others never mention using blue loctite or throwing away your bolts because they are only "supposed" to be used once? I was not worried about my install (bushings,tie rods,trailing arms,lowering springs) because it was done with 2000 miles but should I be concerned??
The only bolts I thought to change out are the caliper bolts. Am I wrong? Alignment shops or dealer for sure does not change the bolts or even put loctite. A lot of them don't ever use a damn torque wrench unless you give them torque specs and insist.
What have you guys done with your personal installs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I have taken my suspension and brake caliper bolts in and out several times. Never replaced anything. But I always use blue Loctite on the threads and torque to the proper values. If you buy the new bolts from GM, they will have a dry form of thread locker on the threads, that is only good for one use. Personally, I think it's just a way for GM to make more money off the customer!!! It's easier for them to say just replace the bolt rather than try to explain what type of thread-locker to use!!!
I totally agree on using Loctite on all your After market axles and suspension bolts. You should check and re-torque them after driving around. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329371

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote