Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
raymurda215

Drives: 2010 ss2, summit white,full body ki
problem need some advice

ok well im having a prob with my new camaro and need some advice. First i would like to say i traded up a 2009 caddy CTS-4 for this car. My caddy had a 3.6L direct inject enigne, $14,500 in options. This Car had EVERY thing.... 250g HD, 14" pop up Nav system, heated,cooled seats EVERY option you could get. BUT i owned a 1988 iroc z28 and have always loved camaros. i bought the 1988 in 88 with 14 miles and feel in love with the car. ALWAYS said im gona get that new camaro when it comes and and did. i got a summit white with inferno orange stripe,full body kit and waiting to add exhuest and headers.

Now to the problem, my car sits in a grage. not gona lie i dont really drive it often it has 1410 miles and i got it in may.... 600 of those miles i put on in the last month. Just now i decided to take the beast for a spin B/c its about 45 deg and sunny here in PA. As im driving things are goin well untill i see a big cloud if smoke comming out exehuest. now i had this problem about 4 months ago and took it straight to the dealer and they told me it was b/c i wasnt driving the car enuff. so i said ok thats prob it.... well now im second guessing these guys. car is bran spanking new and when i baby it or im at a light ( not every time) smoke will come out back end and i will hear some backfire. i slam the shifter into S mode and start gettign on it and all is well. Im starting to get pissed off and want some advice as to what to do or what could be the problem. any info be great thanks.
raymurda215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
I am assuing that you are using 93 octane in your SS. Take it to another dealer or call GM customer service. Some smoke is normal, especially when it is cold. Backfires are another issue. This could be anything from bad timing, spark plug, computer etc. Good luck.
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Is it black smoke? If its black smoke it could be a bad gasket.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
K my car does this also...i see smoke coming out of it when im always at stop lights and its not even cold outside...i also hear random pop sounds...does anyone know what that is? i do put supreme gas in it sometimes...and its a v6...
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Do you put Stabil in the gas when it sits for a long period? I'm wonderin' if the gas you have in it is not up to par....

Run a tank of new stuff thru it. Do it in short fashion if you can. Also, you might want to do some compression seating of the rings. Keep the car in second gear and run up to say 3k rpm and let the throttle slam shut (read: remove your foot from the gas in a rapid fashion) and allow the car to slow under its own compression down to idle.

Alternate between this and normal accelerations with shifting (6 or so times) and see how things are afterward.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Is it a manual or automatic. If I remember there were some that had bad valve lifters that were replaced. I believe there is a bulletin about it.

If it is an automatic trans it could be a problem with the AFM (DOD) which uses different lifters in the center 4 cylinders. Blue smoke would be caused by bad lifters and or seals.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Is it a manual or automatic. If I remember there were some that had bad valve lifters that were replaced. I believe there is a bulletin about it.

If it is an automatic trans it could be a problem with the AFM (DOD) which uses different lifters in the center 4 cylinders. Blue smoke would be caused by bad lifters and or seals.
Appears to be an automatic... "i slam the shifter into S mode"

And yeah... i remember there was a know problem with some of the early motors and lifters/valves... just don't remember the details...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post

Can't be the lifters. They are down within the engine valley. Any excess oil that is not pumped up thru the pushrods to lube the rockers, drains directly back into the engine. It is more likely bad valve guide seals as these have a direct path into the intake and exhaust via the valves stems. It could also be the guides themselves. If they are out of spec/damaged, the seals can no longer maintain a good contact to make a good seal.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
nassau97

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 97 Vette 91 Vette
Here is a bulletin from GM on excessive smoke issues:

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke - Inspect PCV Baffle Drain Holes and Valve Train Oil Flow

Models: 2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2004-2009 Cadillac CTS-V
2003-2009 Cadillac Escalade
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2003-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer
2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2003-2009 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon
2003-2009 Hummer H2
2008-2009 Hummer H3
2006-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2005-2009 Saab 97x
With Any of the Following V8 Engine RPOs:
L33, L59, L76, L92, L99, L9H, LC9, LFA, LH6, LH8, LQ9, LMG, LM7, LMF, LQ4, LQ9, LR4, LS1, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS6, LY2, LY5, or LY6

This PI was superseded to suggest replacing all 16 lifters if there is no problem found with the PCV system. Please discard PIP4492G.

Important: For 2007 Full Size Trucks and Utilities with the 5.3L Engine (RPO LC9 - VIN 3), please refer to the latest version of PIP4574 for recommendations. For all others, refer to the recommendations below.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption and/or blue exhaust smoke. Upon inspection, obvious oil will be found in the intake manifold and/or PCV vacuum tube.

This may be the result of:

A PCV fresh air hose that is pinched or restricted by plastic casting flash (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs).

Plugged PCV baffle drain holes in the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe attached to it (this would normally be a concern at high mileage).

An improperly sealed PCV valve cover baffle (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after valve cover replacement).

Over-aggressive valve lifters (generally occur at low mileage - less than 10,000 miles or so).
Recommendation/Instructions:

Important: For 2007 Full Size Trucks and Utilities with the 5.3L Engine (RPO LC9 - VIN 3), please refer to the latest version of PIP4574 for recommendations. For all others, refer to the recommendations below.

If bulletin 01-06-01-011 identifies excessive oil consumption but SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of it, inspect the PCV vacuum pipe to see if obvious oil drips out of it and look through the throttle body opening to see if there is obvious standing oil in the bottom of the intake manifold (normally a 1/4 quart or more if this PI applies). If there is obvious oil in the PCV vacuum pipe or in the bottom of the intake, perform the steps below and re-evaluate the oil consumption concern:

1. Inspect the fresh air hose/pipe and all related connections to make sure that no restrictions exist (plastic casting flash, pinched hose, etc.), which may cause excessive crankcase vacuum. Repair the restriction as necessary. Generally, the oil consumption would have been a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs, if this is the root cause.

2. Inspect the PCV baffle drain holes shown below to see if they are plugged with hardened oil deposits. These are located in the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe attached to it. If they are plugged, replace the valve cover, ensure that the customer is changing their oil according to the maintenance schedule in their owner's manual, and re-evaluate the concern. Generally, the oil consumption would not have appeared until several thousand miles accumulated if this is the root cause.

Important: If this step leads to valve cover replacement, perform step 3 on the replacement valve cover before installing it.

Object Number: 2195879 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

3. Inspect the PCV baffle to ensure that it is properly sealed to the valve cover by flipping it over and adding a little oil to the baffle to valve cover joint as shown below. The oil should stay in place as shown on the 2 outer valve covers below. If the oil drains into the PCV baffle as pointed out on the middle valve cover below, replace the valve cover. Generally, the oil consumption would have been present early in the life of the vehicle or shortly after valve cover replacement if this is the root cause.

PCV Baffle Comparison

Object Number: 2245145 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

4. If there is no problem found above but there is obvious oil in the PCV vacuum pipe or bottom of the intake manifold, this may be the result of the PCV system ingesting excessive oil due to an over-aggressive lifter. Sometimes this may occur intermittently so inspecting the lifter flow may or may not isolate the suspect lifter. As a result, all 16 should be replaced if steps 1-3 above do not isolate the cause of oil in the intake.

Important: If Step 2 or 3 leads to valve cover replacement, perform Step 3 on the replacement valve cover before installing it.

Important: Drain/clean the oil out of the intake manifold and install the intake with new intake gaskets before releasing the vehicle to the customer. If this is not performed, the customer may return with an exhaust smoke complaint even though their oil consumption complaint may be repaired.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Warr3nc
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Warr3nc
Find More Posts by Warr3nc
Add Warr3nc to Your Contacts

09-19-2009, 03:42 PM #3
camaro5

This was posted in the warranty issues section of camaro5. Hope this helps
nassau97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
hypurone

Can't say as I have ever replaced a lifter and had it stop oil consumption in the 20+ years I was in the business. But ok....
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
raymurda215

Drives: 2010 ss2, summit white,full body ki
hey guys thanks for all the advice. i am running only 94 octane in my car. Its been sitting like i said i got like a 1/4 tank of gas right now ill run her down and refill and go for a nice cruse with a new tank of fuel. Its just pissing me off because first i got the body kit on and there was a tiny gap in front bumper so i had to take it back to dealer for 2 days. Now this problem AGAIN last time i got a POS loaner it was a 1999 van... unreal really considering i drop off a 40k dollar car and these jerks tell me they got nuttin i can use as a loner but some shit box van. The thing is i dont want to mess the car up. It does sit ALOT ( like all my cars haha) My 1988 z28 had 75k miles after 18 years before the kid got it. Just dont wana mess things up and have to pay any more money. ill go for a nice ride tommaro and update tommaro, thanks guys!
raymurda215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymurda215 View Post
ok well im having a prob with my new camaro and need some advice. First i would like to say i traded up a 2009 caddy CTS-4 for this car. My caddy had a 3.6L direct inject enigne, $14,500 in options. This Car had EVERY thing.... 250g HD, 14" pop up Nav system, heated,cooled seats EVERY option you could get. BUT i owned a 1988 iroc z28 and have always loved camaros. i bought the 1988 in 88 with 14 miles and feel in love with the car. ALWAYS said im gona get that new camaro when it comes and and did. i got a summit white with inferno orange stripe,full body kit and waiting to add exhuest and headers.

Now to the problem, my car sits in a grage. not gona lie i dont really drive it often it has 1410 miles and i got it in may.... 600 of those miles i put on in the last month. Just now i decided to take the beast for a spin B/c its about 45 deg and sunny here in PA. As im driving things are goin well untill i see a big cloud if smoke comming out exehuest. now i had this problem about 4 months ago and took it straight to the dealer and they told me it was b/c i wasnt driving the car enuff. so i said ok thats prob it.... well now im second guessing these guys. car is bran spanking new and when i baby it or im at a light ( not every time) smoke will come out back end and i will hear some backfire. i slam the shifter into S mode and start gettign on it and all is well. Im starting to get pissed off and want some advice as to what to do or what could be the problem. any info be great thanks.
I didn't think Summit White was available in May?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
It wasn't....hmmmmm.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote