Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #43
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
I ordered the car a few weeks back. I would expect it in early december. But as I'm doing more reading on here, I'm not feeling so confident in my decision to buy this car. I'm starting to hear more and more things I don't like. This whistling sound with the windows rolled down has me a bit bothered. In addition, I'm reading several members describe their brakes squealing. The response of "That's how they're designed" does not give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. And finally the tires are beginning to concern me. I don't want to have drop $1500 every year to buy new shoes for this thing. A 220 treadwear is extremely soft. I see people showing significant wear after less than 10,000 miles. No bueno. I mean I'm still on my original set of tires on the GT and I've got almost 60,000 on them. But of course they are 400 treadwear.

All of this has me second guessing actually buying this car. When things aren't perfect, it bothers me. I'm difficult to please I suppose. I tend to be picky on things. Maybe I should wait a year until things get ironed out?

Although, I'm now considering remaining on the dark side and going with a new GT and having the dealer install the FRP 550hp S/C kit. Oh the decisions in life.

I'm confused and displeased at the same time. Anyone done the 60 day return on a GM car yet? I suppose I could go that route if I needed to.
When the car comes in, test drive it. If the test drive doesn't convince you, buy it and don't take the 500.00 off to opt-out of the 60-day return. If after a few weeks you are not convinced, take it back.

There is really no reason to be concerned with the options you have
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #44
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
Mustangs are "good cars".. to some I can agree...

But

A Camaro.... is a GREAT car... theres a difference.....

AND again:
All he has to do is take the 60 day.. no like.. take it back.....simple

I dont see Ford having that
Ford doesn't have to. The ONLY reason GM is doing this is that they need to sell cars to help offset the money you and I both spent to keep them afloat. This is simple marketing...sucker people into the showroom with some promise of "if you don't like it, bring it back." Statistically, the people who fall for this ploy will not use the return feature as they just don't want to mess with the hassle and they will keep their car. It's the same reason there is a price-point for all that as-seen-on-TV crap...they know statistically that people that buy at that price point won't mess with returning the crap they bought.

Personally, I think the buyback offer cheapens the General Motors brands as it says "maybe our car isn't good enough for you" vs. not having a buyback and presenting you make the best cars out there.

The other "cool" feature of the buyback is the one that many here took...the $500 "I won't bring it back option"...this is a selling point (rebate) that GM offers the person that comes in looking at a car based on the buyback offer. This lure is dangled and hopefully the customer bites and takes $500 vs. a potential buyback and GM is off scott-free.

Don't mislead yourself into thinking the buyback is anything but another gimmick to get people into the showroom. Looking at Ford's profit that was just released...I'd say they don't need a gimmick....
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #45
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMO View Post
Bo Yo... I'm put this plain and simple... Mustangs make you look gay and Camaros get you laid. Can I get an amen?
You can get a "FANBOY"...we need an emoticon for that one for sure!

Mustangs make you look gay and Camaros get you laid...that is one of the most sayings I've seen in quite some time.

I'm sure "everyone" here bought their car as some extension of the sexuality. For those of you that did...the car won't make any piece of your anatomy larger or more attractive to the opposite sex. Anyone that will crawl into bed with you for your car...I'd have them tested first!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #46
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post
When the car comes in, test drive it. If the test drive doesn't convince you, buy it and don't take the 500.00 off to opt-out of the 60-day return. If after a few weeks you are not convinced, take it back.

There is really no reason to be concerned with the options you have
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #47
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
you've also got to remember that Camaro5 is more than a Camarorgasm of positive enthusiasm.
I had a Camarorgasm one hour ago. It was fabulous.

That is all.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #48
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've never noticed any whistle with the windows rolled down.

My breaks squeak a little. Nothing crazy. Typically when there's friction, things make noise.

My transmission just blew up (I had one of the earlier bad ones) and I still love my car. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #49
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Bo Yo - for what it's worth, I have heard no whistling nor squeaking of brake pads. The tires may be soft but as stated, there's no reason you have to put the same exact ones on when you replace them. I wouldn't let those things keep you from getting the car.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #50
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I can appreciate your apprehension at doling out that kind of $$$ for a car you haven't been able to get your hands on before, but for what it's worth my 2SS/RS M6 hasn't had any of the issues that you speak of (I have 2500 miles on mine) and I probably will go with a more sensible tire when the time comes. Bottom line keep an open mind until the yours arrives or test drive a rental to prove or disprove your concerns. Good Luck!!!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #51
WySilverado

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro M6 Synergy Green
I was starting to second guess taking our car,I'd like to again thank my wife for insisting we still get it..........I'm blown away by how frikken awesome this car is!
WySilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #52
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I was one of the preorders. Never sat in or drove one.

Took a chance.

No whistling, no unusual noises, no squeeky brakes, no unusual wear on my tires (but then I don't beat the bejeesus out of it either).

Bottomline, I spent my hard earned money for one of the best cars I have ever owned. That's it plain and simple.

Have there been issues, heck yes. Minor problems handled by one of the finest dealers I have ever had the good fortune to deal with.

Virtually every brand of car, has had some sort of problems. How would you like to be the vaunted Toyota Brand right now. And having to deal with the acceleration problems being reported. Sounds just like Audi way backin the '80's with their unintended acceleration problems.

It happens to the best of them.. Buy the car, do the 60 day return if you are that uncomfortable, and see how you like it.

If that doesn't work for you, stay with what you really want to do.

And by all means ----Happy Motoring!

Last edited by greenrail; 11-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #53
JamesMO
I WANNA GO FAST!!!

Drives: blazer soon to be 2lt/rs m6 IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
You can get a "FANBOY"...we need an emoticon for that one for sure!

Mustangs make you look gay and Camaros get you laid...that is one of the most sayings I've seen in quite some time.

I'm sure "everyone" here bought their car as some extension of the sexuality. For those of you that did...the car won't make any piece of your anatomy larger or more attractive to the opposite sex. Anyone that will crawl into bed with you for your car...I'd have them tested first!
well considering the forum is called CAMARO5, why wouldnt I be on here, and gary tucker anybody that drives a camaro right now that isnt God awful ugly is experiencing some kind of rockstar effect, as dumb as that sounds, but its true. I've drove my parents camaro and ive been stopped at a redlights and gas stations people always commented on the maro, the fact is it's sexy car, its whats hot right now, and yes quite literally girls flock to this ****ing car, i know for a fact. You make it quite obvious of what little knowledge you have of women.
JamesMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #54
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
2SS/RS M6, 3800 miles no strange noises and the tread on the tires looks great.
It's my DD a little over 80 miles round trip.
I have not been smoking the tires off , thats going to reduce the ware of any tire!
And being in Texas I have did many trips with the windows down no whistling either.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #55
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMO View Post
well considering the forum is called CAMARO5, why wouldnt I be on here, and gary tucker anybody that drives a camaro right now that isnt God awful ugly is experiencing some kind of rockstar effect, as dumb as that sounds, but its true. I've drove my parents camaro and ive been stopped at a redlights and gas stations people always commented on the maro, the fact is it's sexy car, its whats hot right now, and yes quite literally girls flock to this ****ing car, i know for a fact. You make it quite obvious of what little knowledge you have of women.
I want no knowledge of the kind of women you are hanging out with...believe me.

It's nice to know there are chauvinistic pigs such as yourself still around. I thought this type of behavior was on a decline. What would all the trashy women of the world do if your breed died out? Maybe they would figure out that guys like you have some inadequate feeling about your manhood that has to be supplemented by a car. If you can't get a woman any other way than owning a "hot" car...I truly pity you.

I'll be sure to pass on the fact that I have "little knowledge" of women to my loving wife of 14 years. You know what? She's the love of my life. I wouldn't trade her for some white trash bimbo that would date me for my car. If I wanted to do that I guess I could go troll bars with a picture of my 2009 GT1 Corvette Convertible on my shirt so I could bring home the sluts. My wife could care less about the house we live in or the cars we own...and you know...that makes me want to make her happy even more. We both have very nice cars, I am able to buy and sell cars when I want (I currently have 6 in my posession) and we live in a nice historic home in our town...but if those left tomorrow-she wouldn't leave.

I love watching the "in-guy" that gets women this way...they age so ungracefully and usually end up driving a car "like they had in high school" because it was what made them "cool." These guys usually have been divorced numerous times and resemble Joe Dirt more than they resemble Sean Connery. I find it amusing to visit with them from the stand point that I learned long ago what makes life worth living and they never have. They are still out there searching for the "next thing" that will bring them back to "rockstar" status.

I honestly do hope that you figure out that these "women" you speak of aren't the ones you want to spend time with...because as soon as they figure out you are out of money...they are on to their next set of pockets...and they'll leave you with a nice little gift that you just can't seem to get rid of.

Your statement about a camaro getting you laid was crass and uncalled for and it TRULY demonstrates your maturity level.

As far as this being a Camaro site...yes it is...but that doesn't mean that you can't speak of other cars does it? Does it mean we bash every other car mentioned? If so, then this might as well be called Fanboy Central versus being called a forum for discussion.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #56
Ablue1

Drives: 2010SS2AquaBlue
I owned an 2009 Challenger R/T and I've read about and test driven the Mustang GT. For the money, you will get a lot more value with a Camaro SS than either of the other brands. To buy a comparable challenger, you have to get an SRT. The SRT challenger will cost you low to mid $40's. The mustang GT is a nice vehicle but overall I feel the Camaro is a slight leader in performance, h/p etc, standard accessories. When it comes down to it, you sound like a person that does not make decisions easily and often has buyer's remorse. Buy what you like and can afford, don't sweat the future, we all die. The camaro holds it value really well right now. If you get it, don't like it, sell in a couple of months. I made money on the chally. Good Luck. I ordered a Camaro SS last week, can't wait to make the brakes squeal and melt some rubber.
Ablue1 is offline   Reply With Quote