Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
GM takes two spots in WARDS 10 Best Engines

Quote:
The Ten Best Engines According to Ward's AutoWorld

Ward's has released its list of Ten Best Engines, and this time over half of them are six-cylinders. There's few surprises to be found in the actual picks - perennial favorites such as Nissan's VQ V6 and Ford's 4.6-liter V8 are still listed, as is VW's turbo four. Making the list for the first time are GM's six-liter V8 hybrid drivetrain from the Tahoe and Yukon, and the 3.6-liter direct-injected V6 from Cadillac's CTS.

To be qualified for the list of Ward's best engines, the contestants must be available in a regular-production car in the U.S., with a price under $54,000 to prevent the list from being dominated by ultra-lux powerplants.

NEW YORK--Penton Media's Ward's AutoWorld® magazine has named the winners of its annual listing of North America's "Ten Best Engines." Amid high-profile national debate over automotive fuel-efficiency, these engines reflect the automobile industry's success at improving fuel economy without compromising performance. The awards will be presented at a January 16, 2008 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show. Details on Ward's "Ten Best Engines" will be featured in Ward's AutoWorld magazine and on www.wardsauto.com in January 2008.

Selected by Ward's AutoWorld editors, the 2008 list is the magazine's 14th annual ranking; the list is North America's only awards program honoring powertrain excellence.

The 2008 winners are:

• Audi AG: FSI 2.0L turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)
• BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (335i Coupe)
• Daimler AG: 3.0L DOHC V-6 Turbodiesel (Mercedes E320 CDI)
• Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang Shelby GT/Bullitt)
General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
• General Motors Corp.: 6.0L OHV V-8 Hybrid (GMC Yukon Hybrid)

• Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
• Mazda Motor Corp.: 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed3)
• Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.7L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G37)
• Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

"The auto industry is in an era that will force enormous powertrain engineering advances," said Bill Visnic, Ward's editor for technical and special projects. "New fuel-efficiency standards are on the horizon, an improvement the public seems to demand. The fact that more than half of this year's 'Ten Best Engines' winners are six cylinder engines mirrors the shift occurring in the market and on engineering drawing boards."

This year, six Ward's editors nominated 37 engines for the competition. Over two months, editors scored each engine against all others in a number of objective and subjective parameters. Each engine must be available in a regular-production, U.S.-specification model on sale no later than the first quarter of 2008 in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.

Ward's Automotive Group, a Southfield, Mich.-based division of Penton Media, has been a world-leading provider of auto industry news, data and analysis for more than 80 years. Ward's AutoWorld is a monthly magazine serving more than 68,000 automotive professionals globally. WardsAuto.com is an online subscription service delivering virtually all the industry news, data and analysis Ward's produces. Other Ward's titles include: the weekly newsletter Ward's Automotive Reports, monthly magazine Ward's Dealer Business, and a wealth of reference annuals, online databases, and customized data reports.
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/news/Th...oWorld_i.shtml
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Awesome!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
that list is a bunch of crap....to be brutally honest
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

and...why do you say that?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
the two gm engines are the only new engines on the list, all those other engines have been in production for at least 2 years

when you think about all the things that GM does with pushrods, all other companies should be ashamed.

on a bright not think about how amazing it will be when gm goes to DOHC....

correction: Turbo 6cyl by BMW was new Last year so this is its second year
Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
redneck13
Gear Head

Drives: 1998 Chevy Silverado
thats BS... the 572 shood have made the list, sure its not "fule economical" but who gives a crap, its fast as hell[IMG] [/IMG]

Red Neck
White Trash
Blue Collar
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Um...I'm pretty happy that GM took 2/10 when you think of all the automakers out there...
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck13 View Post
thats BS... the 572 shood have made the list, sure its not "fule economical" but who gives a crap, its fast as hell[IMG] [/IMG]
I believe its for either
a) production engines or
b) new engines or
c) new production engines

in any case, the 572 doesn't count, as awesome as it is in its big block glory
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The Ecotec 2.0 (turboed) 2.2, and 2.4 liter engines should have made it. 130 hp/liter for the first one is just fantastic, and the other two are pretty good for their class (the 2.4 just stomps all over Toyota's 2.4) and have decent mid-range power levels, rare for 4 cylinder engines. I wonder why the Ford 4.6 made it. It has to have one of the lowest power per displacement ratios out there. I mean only 300 hp from a V8? That might have been acceptable 10 years ago, but it simply doesn't cut it today. I mean even Hyundai makes a V6 that makes better numbers than that now. Otherwise the list is pretty good.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I recently read an article in one of the automotive magazines, comparing the V8 offerings from Aston Martin (DB9), Ferrari (F430), Chevrolet (Corvette), and Audi (RS8).

In summation; the car most desired to take home - the Ferrari.
the best V8 for performance and drivability - the Corvette.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
When I drove the Corvette I was pleasantly surprised by its drivability. Sure it felt powerful, but it also struck me as something I could commute with every day. I've heard the same about the V8 in the Audi R8. That is my dream supercar.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote