Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
War in Russia

Anyone heard about it, For those who had heard about it, I'm not a fan of war but who does American government think they are for saying the Russian's are wrong for fighting off the edge of there border, does anyone remembers ""operation Iraqi Freedom"

But... If Russia is conducting ethnic cleansing, the U.N. should act

Link

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Call it a war in Georgia. That's more correct. Russia has yet to be invaded.

For political correctness, allow me to reiterate what is happening.

South Ossetia seceded from Georgia, much like the Confederacy seceded from the Union in the Civil War. In this case, South Ossetia succeeded. Apparently, Russia either wants South Ossetia to remain independent or to be part of Russia. South Ossetia seeks to be included in Russia. Georgia wants to maintain its territorial integrity by maintaining South Ossetia. Before this, Georgia was part of the Russian mainland for over 200 years.

Georgia contains a major oil pipeline that feeds oil to the West. In addition, Georgia has been seeking to partake in the NATO alliance like its southern neighbor, Turkey. NATO has not yet accepted Georgia's application. Additionally, Georgia is a nation supported by the US. In effect, the Russian invasion of Georgia polarizes the United States. This is a unique situation for both countries and the world since this potentially violates Democratic Peace Theory, a theory that concludes that no democracies will declare war on one another since democracies are naturally allied. By creating this conflict, Georgia poses the US and Russia against one another.

Now you ask: "Why did The_Blur put the blame on Georgia?" Georgia began a serious intrusion into its renegade province of South Ossetia. Russia, a country that has granted Russian passports to most civilians in the region, has sought to protect the region. For the civilians in South Ossetia, Russia is the good guy. The United States seeks to keep Georgia allied for economic reasons, specifically regarding oil.

Below are possible outcomes of the current situation.

If Russia annexes only South Ossetia, it will create temporary hostility between the US and Russia.

If Russia annexes Georgia, oil prices in the US and Europe will rise, creating tense relations with Russia and a possible second Cold War.

If Russia seeks to annex multiple former Soviet republics, Russia will be seen as an empire and war will be imminent. Europe and the United States will be forced into a conventional war not unlike World War II. It is important to note that no nation has successfully invaded Russia and caused it to surrender via Moscow due to climate conditions and a strong defense near the capital. Such a war would likely involve nuclear arms at some point early in the war, plummeting the US and Russia into a violent exchange, likely involving catastrophic casualties.

Below is some final analysis.

The US is likely to give diplomatic opposition to Russian tactics regarding the Georgia issue. As a result, Russia will continue its push into Georgia until the nation is totally subdued. Until then, no one will truly know Russia's intentions.

The US is not likely to engage Russian troops since they have the upper hand. Neither country seeks nuclear confrontation. Despite this, Russia has more to gain by being involved than the United States. As a result, expect the US to stay out of the conflict but maintain staunch opposition to Russia in the meantime. Unfortunately, the US is not likely to get involved directly.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
I think America has no bussiness in other countries affairs. We dont need another Iraq situation. its brought nothing but hell.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
I think America has no bussiness in other countries affairs. We dont need another Iraq situation. its brought nothing but hell.
This is far bigger than Iraq. Getting involved could be worse than World War II. This would be the most costly war in world history if the US got involved against Russia. I'm not saying that Russia is a superior power, but Russia isn't exactly a less-than-equal match. Russia still possesses the necessary units to bring America to its knees. If we get involved, I'd recommend everyone get out of major cities.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is far bigger than Iraq. Getting involved could be worse than World War II. This would be the most costly war in world history if the US got involved against Russia. I'm not saying that Russia is a superior power, but Russia isn't exactly a less-than-equal match. Russia still possesses the necessary units to bring America to its knees. If we get involved, I'd recommend everyone get out of major cities.
Do you know how much the Russian population out number us and with today's technology its going to be crazy, I hope this never happen but If we do go to war Russia could kick our asses if we invaded, .no if the U.N. invaded

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
Georgia-overrun-Russian-troops-scale-ground-invasion-begins

i'm not taking sides just, saying that the daily mail is reporting the ground invasion has begun.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

If Russia declares war on America(or vise versa) I'm grabbing my PS3, diecasts and Camaro and am fleeing to Armenia where I wont be vaporized by Russia's Hidden Nukes

Quote:

Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Oh crap.

This won't end well.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This will be interesting to watch...I'm not convinced any World War will start...Problem is; I haven't a clue what's going on in that region. So I don't know who's the 'good' guys, but I've read in reports that Russia isn't gunning down civilians on purpose.

But I found it VERY intriguing how Putin shoved Iraq into Bush's face when Bush condemned what Russia's doing.

EDIT: This is a pretty good article.
Russia Orders Halt to Fighting
"In Moscow, Medvedev said on national television that Georgia had been punished enough for its attack on South Ossetia."

You'd think this was a game.....
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Look-War is money.
The arms manufacturers tell me unless
we get our bomb factories up to full production
the whole economy is going to collapse
Funny how a song written in the 80's is still relevant today.

The rules changed in '68. Nobody wins a war anymore.

Vietnam? The combined communist forces of North Vietnam were declared victorious in the Tet Offensive. Let's see, they lost more than 10:1 killed, failed to achieve even one objective and left themselves crippled for months to come. The US could have marched right into Hanoi unabated. How is that a victory?
3 decades later, western capitalists are setting up shop in Vietnam, just like old times. Bought a t-shirt from WalMart lately? Bet it says, MADE IN VIETNAM by sweatshop laborers make slave wages just like colonial French Indochina days....well the first 3 words anyway. Uncle Ho Chi Minh and Chairman Mao are wringing their hands in disgust at the decline of their "Proletarian Paradises"

Like the 2006 Lebanon war? "oh, Hezbollah won that"
Not so much. Lebanon's infrastructure is screwed for a long time. Way to go Hezbollah! You screwed your entire country for a largely ceremonial "victory".

The Falklands? What exactly did the UK win? The only real winner in that conflict was the French when they're air to ship Exocet missiles were proven effective against Her Majesty's Navy.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
If Russia declares war on America(or vise versa) I'm grabbing my PS3, diecasts and Camaro and am fleeing to Armenia where I wont be vaporized by Russia's Hidden Nukes
Armenia is too close to the warzone. I'd recommend somewhere like Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This will be interesting to watch...I'm not convinced any World War will start...Problem is; I haven't a clue what's going on in that region. So I don't know who's the 'good' guys, but I've read in reports that Russia isn't gunning down civilians on purpose.

But I found it VERY intriguing how Putin shoved Iraq into Bush's face when Bush condemned what Russia's doing.

EDIT: This is a pretty good article.
Russia Orders Halt to Fighting
"In Moscow, Medvedev said on national television that Georgia had been punished enough for its attack on South Ossetia."

You'd think this was a game.....
Russia is pretty bold to do all of this just to punish little Georgia.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Armenia is too close to the warzone. I'd recommend somewhere like Japan.

Russia is pretty bold to do all of this just to punish little Georgia.
Armenia= my homeland

Plus, to give an analogy, Armenia is like Russia's little brother. Several years ago when Turkey threatened to invade Armenia Russia sent ambassadors to Turkey "recommending' that they keep to themselves.

Quote:

Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
So, short version is US likes Georgia (probably because they oppose Russia) but they haven't been 'behaving' as nicely as we think they should. On the whole, I say this conflict has very little to do with the west. As long as they fight by the 'rules', I say stay out it.

And war between Russia and the US isn't going to happen. Nobody has anything to gain from it, and Russia has an awful lot to lose. Their navy is rusting in port and their airforce is just as bad. The last 20 years have been really tough on them. The US hasn't had it easy, but your Airforce is just about as potent now as it was then and you still have more carrier deck space than the rest of the world combined. Land conflict is basically out of the question.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
So, short version is US likes Georgia (probably because they oppose Russia) but they haven't been 'behaving' as nicely as we think they should. On the whole, I say this conflict has very little to do with the west. As long as they fight by the 'rules', I say stay out it.

And war between Russia and the US isn't going to happen. Nobody has anything to gain from it, and Russia has an awful lot to lose. Their navy is rusting in port and their airforce is just as bad. The last 20 years have been really tough on them. The US hasn't had it easy, but your Airforce is just about as potent now as it was then and you still have more carrier deck space than the rest of the world combined. Land conflict is basically out of the question.
If we was invading we would be owned by their tanks, that's another thing they out number us with

Quote: