Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
need CEL code P0496 advice

So I got the CEL yesterday. OBD reader says P0496. C-5 Search reveals EVAP solenoid or vacuum issue or such. Here's the deal: I don't have the where-with-all to deal with this myself, and I don't really want the dealer muckin' around in my car. What's the worst that could happen if I just ignore it?

MODS= TVS2300 S/C, LM II exhaust and Blackhawk CAI. Car is still under warranty with GM and is running fine. Just don't want dealer touching it unless necessary.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
So I got the CEL yesterday. OBD reader says P0496. C-5 Search reveals EVAP solenoid or vacuum issue or such. Here's the deal: I don't have the where-with-all to deal with this myself, and I don't really want the dealer muckin' around in my car. What's the worst that could happen if I just ignore it?

MODS= TVS2300 S/C, LM II exhaust and Blackhawk CAI. Car is still under warranty with GM and is running fine. Just don't want dealer touching it unless necessary.

Hello babaron,

Sorry you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle right now. I do see that you are not looking to visit a dealer right now but in the event that you decide to, I will be more than happy to locate one nearest you. I will also be sure that they are qualified and skilled to service your vehicle properly.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
It will not pass emissions testing.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
babaron
Totally into it

That's not a problem where I live. Is there anything else?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
the worst is the fact that your check engine light wont tell you if you have another problem. We see this all the time in the biz, a customer says I know why the light is on its been that way for months, but then you ask how do you know if something else went bad after the first problem and you get the blank stare, fix your car!
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
babaron
Totally into it

Won't another code thrown also be stored in the PCM and show up with the first code when the OBD reader is attached? Anyway, I have already made an apt to fix it next week, thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
P0496-EVAP flow during non-purge. Replace the purge solenoid, they get carbon build up in them and stick open.

Oh yea, I work on all the Vette's at our dealership. Usually it's the vent valve solenoid that messes up, PIA to change. Purge is much easier.....lol
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Won't another code thrown also be stored in the PCM and show up with the first code when the OBD reader is attached? Anyway, I have already made an apt to fix it next week, thanks.
point was unless your going to hook a scanner to it everyday you wouldn't know,hope all goes well with the repair
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
babaron
Totally into it

Thanks guys, i ll update here next week
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
babaron
Totally into it

UPDATE: Went to dealer. Talked with mechanic. Purge valve was bad, as expected. BUT: I told him i have been enjoying the fact that my AFM has been nonfunctional for the last year, and asked if it would fix that. He said probably and I said " let's forget I ever showed up here, and left.

I'd much rather check the OBD reader every week for any new codes and live with the CEL on, than put up with AFM again.

There is a custom tune in my future, just don't know exactly when. Until then, I'll take this.