Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #449
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
Troll no, I may get shot for saying this but if money would not have been an option I would have gotten the Camaro. Given the choice B/W a ZL1 and GT500 I would get the ZL1. My first car was a 95 Z28, and I'm interested in a all around package, speed, handling, and comfort. I can admit that the Shelby is behind the ZL1 in all around package.

At the same time I can admit when a car is the better/faster car in the hands of a driver that knows what they are doing.

True. People I know don't usually consider raw acceleration in isolation. They DO consider the "total package".... which starts with "looks" and progresses on as you kick the tires, pop the hood, set yourself behind the wheel. That's why most of the reviews are giving the nod to ZL1.

It was the "all other experience" the Camaro offered that they did not believe was worth forfeiting in order to claim the "top 1/4 mile" award.

ZL1 engineering/design/production has overcome serious WEIGHT and HORSEPOWER disadvantages to "almost" beat a DRAG SPECIAL car, consistently and reliably have the ability to OUTLAST it's lighter and stronger competitor on the track (and thus the longer warranty too?).

Well, certainly outcomes are arguable. But, it is amazing to me that once people actually get behind the wheel of each how they lean toward ZL1. Those who haven't been behind the wheels to compare might want to reserve judgement.

PS: anyone see the Nurburgring times for the 500 yet?
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #450
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Still the Shelby, it DOES have a 300 pound weight advantage pluse on the dragstrip, the SRA is better for launching. The 11-212 GT500 runs basically idendical to the ZL1 at the strip with 550 HP, again, because of the weight advantage.
He's talking about more than a 1/4 mile run ... Think outside the strip.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #451
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher3134 View Post
This makes no sense! Thats like saying "well put IRS on both of them and magnetic ride control and see who is crying then."

I am partial to the zl1 cause I have a camaro. But drag strip to drag strip numbers show that we really don't have a chance. u put slicks on the gt500 and it will only get faster. put slicks and a tune on your zl1 u better buy some axles and a rear end. Just saying. I dont drag race because to me its not that exciting. But fast is fast. And since thats really the only thing the gt500 wins then give it to them. I would rather have a fun driver.
Once again think beyond the 1/4 mile ...
Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #452
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
Again, they compare a production car right off the assembly line"ZL1" against an aftermaket "Shelby"...apples to oranges. Why not compare the shelby with a, let's say a "Lingenfelder" ZL1! The ZL1 is close to 500lbs heavier, and has almost 100 less horsepower. The weight difference is good for a half second alone in the quarter! Did the writer ever once mention any of these facts? What a load of crap!...Even after all that was stacked against it i'd say the Camaro is still twice the car.

You do know the GT500 comes right off the assembly line right? Ford pays a license fee to Shelby to use the name. SVT Built the car.

Now, GT350, Super Snake, Shelby 1000. those are post title packages that you send your car to Vegas for and shelby will convert them. But the GT500 is a factory car, built by Ford.

And why are people still saying the GT500 can only go straight??? I think from all the tests it shows that it is a damn good track car too. It may not carry the speed into the corners, or be as easy to drive, but the numbers show it can handle itself in the twisties. The ZL1 does it with suspension and technology, the GT500 does it with power. Different approaches. So far the only thing that has surprised me in any of these reviews, is that the GT500 was able to do a faster lap around Laguna Seca. i fully expected the ZL1 to beat it around LS, because the track doesnt have a lot of long straights. That to me says that the GT500 is capable on a road course. A one trick pony it is not. Thats the only thing bugging me now, is people still saying it can only go straight haha.

again I would take either one.

Last edited by shaffe; 06-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #453
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Crazy outta your mind. Sorry for being blunt. Yes the zl1 will out autox the stang. No it will not even get near it on the open road. Gear, HP/weight all favor the ford.

As for the bad drivers? I think all the journalists proved that BOTH cars were surprisingly easy to get the power to the ground. Everyone asked for marry Poppins to take over the muscle cars with driver assists, now we get the help and it appears its still not good enough for some drivers. Have you ever sat back and thought some for some folks these cars are just "out of their league". Just because someone can AFFORD to buy it doesn't make it a wise decision don't you think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Well that's kind of my point. Even with the assists in the ZL1 the guy in the video a few months ago couldn't even break 12.5 secs.

Street racing is unwise to begin with but let's face it. For 99% of everyone who buys these cars it's the 'Red light to Red light' that is the measure. The Stang will win that easily but If the drivers in this review are correct, the Stang was harder to drive. Even shift. So I'd expect a draw considering the tire spin on both cars.

Hooking on the street is NOT an easy thing to do. The winner will be the one who is the better driver. THAT's what I meant. I don't care if the Stang had 800hp, if the wheels are spinning then a stock GT or SS will beat him to the next light.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #454
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
...But, it is amazing to me that once people actually get behind the wheel of each how they lean toward ZL1. Those who haven't been behind the wheels to compare might want to reserve judgement. ...
I have not been behind the wheel of either. You have a ZL1...have you been behind the wheel of a GT500? If so, how did *you* rate each and what made you decide on the ZL1?

And Slingshot....there is a pretty big knuckle-dragging drag racing group out there....at LEAST as big as those that actually push their cars near the limit on a road course (or on the road...heaven help us all). And I'm being quite generous when I say "at LEAST". So for some in this market, straight-line acceleration is a VERY big issue with them.

Personally, "beyond the 1/4 mile" to me is daily or weekend or 'whenever I chose to' driving on the street. In this realm, a bit better ride may not be enough to offset my perception of better visibility. Or, 'easier to drive near the limit' might not offset my desire for the quicker car. Or.....well... you get the picture, I'm sure. "Beyond the 1/4 mile" no doubt works for you and a great deal of folks here - but not necessary many others.

Being a drag racer is ok....even if I do walk bent over with my fingers nearly on the ground...

We all have opinions...
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #455
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
He's talking about more than a 1/4 mile run ... Think outside the strip.
Well, like someone said earlier, to make it truly fair you would have to give the Shelby IRS and MRC if you are going to take it's HP away. I am not for against either car, but each achieves similar goals, just in different ways.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #456
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
You also need to look at reliability. I know alot of Speed shops that have Mustang shop cars with chevy engines in them. I asked a couple of them why a chevy engine. They all said the chevy engine is easier to work on, cheaper to work with, and more dependable.

Also IMHO the Mustang is just an ugly car!
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #457
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
You also need to look at reliability. I know alot of Speed shops that have Mustang shop cars with chevy engines in them. I asked a couple of them why a chevy engine. They all said the chevy engine is easier to work on, cheaper to work with, and more dependable.

Also IMHO the Mustang is just an ugly car!
ummmmm............... sure, whatever you way.......
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #458
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Sorry I didn't go thru 19 pages of BS. I got to say both are really nice cars. Still a GM guy and will take the ZL1 anyday. Most of the test that were done are only compleated in a few laps. I bet not many people on here do HPDE's. Thats where the truth comes out in a car. Take both cars out a day of HPDE about 25mins each session about four to five sessions in one day and report back what is the better car. GM designed the car around endurance, and had limits of the Vette. If it weren't for the Vette, GM could have gone crazy with the ZL1 like the GT500. The comparisons have been really tight except for the drag racing. But around the road course its not a blow away by either car. The ZL1 is down on power and it is still tight. The GT500 with its smaller tires did pretty well itself.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #459
PQ
Booooosted.

Pushrod FTMFW!!!

I've worked on both. OC sucks imo.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #460
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Pushrod FTMFW!!!

I've worked on both. OC sucks imo.
Oh, no doubt there, but i don't see a lot of Fords, especially newer ones, with their engines being swapped for Chevy Motors. Crossing engines is just a pet peave of mine anyways, with VERY few exceptions, I think each car should have a motor from it's respective manufacturer. Also, the reliability statement is BS as the old 4.6 and I am sure the new 5.0 are rock solid motors.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #461
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Oh, no doubt there, but i don't see a lot of Fords, especially newer ones, with their engines being swapped for Chevy Motors. Crossing engines is just a pet peave of mine anyways, with VERY few exceptions, I think each car should have a motor from it's respective manufacturer.
You'll get no argument from me there.

With the exception of of putting an LS engine in a ricer. I'm all for that.

Had a buddy drop an LS2 in a Nissan 300Z. Was actually pretty cool. He left the CORVETTE engine covers on it too. lmao
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #462
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
There are quite a few LSx Fox-Body Mustangs out there. Beyond that, it is generally only the "old school" types and even older Fords that have smallblock Chevy's in them. Of course, there is a good reason....what V8 is cheaper than a smallblock Chevy to build?
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote