Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
A word about Camaro5Fest.....

A word of caution........

When I started a thread on this site talking about what we were going to bring to Camaro5festII and who would be coming from Detroit - I had no way of knowing what direction our industry would head -- and that direction veered off course - very suddenly, I might add......

The recent unimaginable tragedies in Japan have made us all stop and realize just how fragile life can be........and our hearts and prayers go out to the Japanese people and the residents of the areas devastated by the earthquake, resultant tsunami, and the nuclear nightmare that continues to play out.......

What IS true: The automobile industry is STILL trying to determine just how far and wide the work stoppage in Japan will affect everyone.....

We've all read about the paint pigment (xirallic ) issue -- but that's the least of our problems.....xirallic isn't in every color we make......so we could continue to build cars in limited paint selections.......but the work stoppage has the potential to be much further and wider than we might have originally expected......

For example: Let's assume that we purchase "widgets" from Magna International (the world's largest supplier to the auto industry - based out of Canada.....) What we didn't originally anticipate is that Magna might purchase say, a micro-chip that goes into their "widgets" -- from a supplier in Japan.........and if Magna can't get that micro-chip - they can't ship "widgets" to our assembly plants - and we can't build cars without "widgets".......

Thus - we are already experiencing work stoppages - and we recently sent one of our V.P.s to Japan to study and analyze how this will affect GM.

When a plant stops building vehicles, the revenue stream STOPS - yet expenses continue to flow (at an alarming rate I might add...) and suddenly this big black hole opens up and starts swallowing huge amounts of dollars......

We owe the stockholders (and if you are a citizen of the U.S. or Canada....you still own some stock in GM) the responsibility of controlling costs whereever we can..........

And thus, we were asked to curtail all travel and unnecessary expenses.....

We do NOT see Camaro5Fest as an "unnecessary expense!"-- HOWEVER, we HAVE had to make some hard, fast decisions........

Al Oppenheiser, Cheryl Pilcher, John Fitzpatrick, Jack Pantaleo, Adam Barry and myself will represent GM at Camaro5Fest - and unfortunately the others will remain behind......continuing their work on Camaro and Corvette and many other car and truck lines.

Similarly, I've had to pare down the number of vehicles that we'll be bringing to Camaro5Fest.......

For your enjoyment:

>American Pride Camaro
>Camaro SSX Track Car
>Synergy Series Camaro
>A selection of Camaro Convertibles for you to get in and try on for size.....

>Two "mystery" Camaros - one you haven't ever seen before....

(No - not a Z28.....)

We'll have a very special guest: Mr. Jeff Bucknum who drives the Number 6 Camaro in Grand Am Racing will be there - and he's very much looking forward to meeting you.......and signing autographs......

However - the MOST important guests remain as YOU: YOU - and your Camaros..........this is destined to be the largest gathering of Camaros ever.......

So - while I know this is disappointing news........we hope you'll understand why we had to take these actions.........and I hope you will join me in sending thoughts and prayers to those who have had their lives turned upside down...............

Please travel safe -- WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS - -and I very much look forward to joining you in Chandler!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the team there
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
The long term impact of the recent events in Japan are enormous. I for one appreciate the sentiment expressed in this post. It is the proper way to conduct your business. While C5F-2 is going to be a great event for those attending it is an expensive event for GM to attend. Pairing back is prudent. Thank you.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Blue Angel and I will be there and I hope I have the privilege and honor of meeting you and the others and thanking you in person for creating this wonderful car. Whatever you bring will be great... no disappointments here!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
rjcamaro
312 HP

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Fully understand and appreciate GM being open and letting everyone know. Hope these issues are short term.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Well, I would hope EVERYONE would understand these circumstances. I would be shocked if anyone gives anyone some crap over this. If they do they should be ashamed of themselves. I have no doubt this is going to be another great event. I'm only sorry I could not be there.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Well put doc

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Scott & all who will atttend C5F, I hope you guys enjoy yourself.
I wish my family & I can attend with the new car, but with the treat of a government shot down, we are on hold as well.

Scott, shortly after you arrive back at the office there may be something at the office for you lol.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
It doesn't matter if GM sends one person or 10...no Camaros or a couple truckloads...Camaro5Fest should be about friends, new and old, from across the US and Canada, being brought together because GM was able to build the car we all enjoy...the 5th Gen Camaro.

I appreciate all you and the Camaro team do for Camaro enthusiasts and hope to meet you at C5Fest II.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
It doesn't matter if GM sends one person or 10...no Camaros or a couple truckloads...Camaro5Fest should be about friends, new and old, from across the US and Canada, being brought together because GM was able to build the car we all enjoy...the 5th Gen Camaro.

I appreciate all you and the Camaro team do for Camaro enthusiasts and hope to meet you at C5Fest II.

well put!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Thanks for the update Scott! Just really appreciate the support and will be there come hell or high water. Was out of the country for the last one and will not miss this one for anything.
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Can't wait to see and meet everyone at the fest. It's awesome that GM is a part of it in any capacity

With all sincerity, I hope every one has an incredible time.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
camarobh

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Open and honest communication.....funny how something so simple can mean so much to so many. Thanks fbodfather.

Can't wait to head over to Chandler on Thursday!
camarobh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarobh View Post
Open and honest communication.....funny how something so simple can mean so much to so many. Thanks fbodfather.

Can't wait to head over to Chandler on Thursday!
thats one thing my husband has always said if GM has more people like Scott get them out of the offices & get them out infront of the people.

We need people to step up & talk to people.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote