Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
No more decel pop.

Just curious.... after my cam, LT's, etc... I just realized I have no more decel pop. Do most tuners turn off the fuel cutoff with a cam? Sorry, just realized how much I loved the pop, more so now that its gone.
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
I was wandering the same thing. I assumed it was the overlap of the cam that messed it up
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Idk... Cause mine seem to have gotten worse after my cam and tune... I actually asked my tuner to decrease it as much as possible... But it still does it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
I was wandering the same thing. I assumed it was the overlap of the cam that messed it up
It's all in the decel fuel tuning, and making sure there are no exhaust leaks up by the headers and collectors.

You can have a very wild cam with tons of overlap, and if the decel fuel cutoff is disabled and the decel fuel AFR is tuned properly it won't have a single pop on decel. Which when modding for more airflow like with LTs, cam, heads... means adding a lot of fuel to the decel tuning.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
OP, your tuner must have disabled DFCO.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Rage

What is the DFCO? And can the tuner turn it back on easily?
Is it decel fuel cut off? lol
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
What is the DFCO? And can the tuner turn it back on easily?
Is it decel fuel cut off? lol
I noticed the same with my cam. No popping on deceleration. When checking DFCO (decel fuel cuto off) status in the dealer service tool (GDS2) it says it is enabled. I asked Livernois and they said it was enabled as well. So I'm inclined to believe it is there and working but it just behaves differently after the cam upgrade.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Decal fuel cutoff (DFCO) gets disabled by some tuners. It can be minimized in the tune as well. My wife called me today after exhaust work and said "the poping is louder" I just told her, do you want it minimized or turned off??
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
doomsdayjesus081

Drives: VR 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What is your idle set at compared to stock? Did your driving style change with the cam(for instance using the gears to slow all the way down or just coasting to a stop or any mix in between)? These can also be factors in whether or not you get decel popping.
doomsdayjesus081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsdayjesus081 View Post
What is your idle set at compared to stock? Did your driving style change with the cam(for instance using the gears to slow all the way down or just coasting to a stop or any mix in between)? These can also be factors in whether or not you get decel popping.
No difference in driving style.... other than learning to take off nicely with a big cam. I cannot get it to pop.... and I have tried. Im gonna bring her back to the shop Friday and see if they can turn it back on(if its off). Save a little gas too....lol
Idle is around 950 now... forgot what stock was....
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
mine also has completely stopped. i do sometimes get a pop when shifting or if i tap the gas at idle. it has to be normal.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
I found that if you have fuel cut off while decellerating then it will be quiet, but if you don't it will burble and pop away. With the current exhaust setup I have, I love the sound it makes while decelerating at higm rpms, so I left the fuel on. With other exhaust setups I hated how it sounded, so I tuned in a more aggressive fuel cut off while decelerating.

So look like your tuner went and extended the fuel cut off, thus decreasing your pop.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
I found that if you have fuel cut off while decellerating then it will be quiet, but if you don't it will burble and pop away. With the current exhaust setup I have, I love the sound it makes while decelerating at higm rpms, so I left the fuel on. With other exhaust setups I hated how it sounded, so I tuned in a more aggressive fuel cut off while decelerating.

So look like your tuner went and extended the fuel cut off, thus decreasing your pop.
I thought it was the opposite... fuel cutoff=more pop..... No fuel cutoff keeps rpms steady because of the added fuel during decel. Sorry, just trying to understand this.....
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
I noticed the same with my cam. No popping on deceleration. When checking DFCO (decel fuel cuto off) status in the dealer service tool (GDS2) it says it is enabled. I asked Livernois and they said it was enabled as well. So I'm inclined to believe it is there and working but it just behaves differently after the cam upgrade.
this is probably right.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote