Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
siviog1

Drives: Camaro
Buying a used Camaro

Hey all just need so help on buying a used Camaro. I am trying to stay in the range of $20000 so I found some listings on Autotrader and Cars.com. What are your thoughts on buying used. My criteria is I want to stay under 60,000 miles and must be an automatic. I have no idea how to drive manual and Chicago traffic can be hideous. I drive maybe 2-3 times a week. Here are a few listings I found around the Chicago area. Also it seems most of these dealerships don't want to come down on the price of the Camaros and no matter what year or mileage everyone is still listing the price the same, like no depreciation for year.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...tType=1http://
siviog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
I'd get the gray one. Miles and price is right.
Where are the headlights on the orange car?
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
I know you said you wanted to stay around 20K, but his is a pretty good deal at 25K.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/3948032719.html
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Hm.. I bought mine used, no problems at all..

I also like the CGM and that price is pretty nice and seems like it fits all your needs, plus it looks like it's been taken car of.. Try test driving! With the IOM Camaro you are getting the leather seats, if that's something you'd want.. but it is more expensive and has more miles. I definitely would take them both for a cruise and see what you like.

Good luck!!
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
You can also check on these. I know the miles are getting further from where you are, but are within 50 miles of my home and I live about an hour west of Chicago.

http://cars.rrstar.com/search/locati...on-Used/sort-1
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Dexter9522

Drives: SS
Are you financing or paying cash ? If paying cash and not going to have a car payment like said above 5k more expands your options and lowers mileage and things like that. Every time I e bought a car I say I'm never buying new again. But when you start looking at used there's always something. Dings issues undisclosed things. Don't get me wrong there are PLENTY of used cars out there tht have great knowledgable owners. But people buy these ars because they are fun. It's not a Prius u get in putt from point a to b and get out. You buy them to drive them. So I've always wanted to be the one that messes my car up or drive the crap out of it. I feel like I'm buying a virgin that I create its history not the other way around. The 14s are hitting the floors maybe you could scoop up a 12 or 13 for a good price.
Dexter9522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
siviog1

I have my own financing already approved for $19,000 so I'm limited as far as how much the car is. I have about $2000 to put down and with my bills and lifesyle it would be challenging to have a higher deposit down. I'm searching for a 2012 ls but I haven't found any listed around my price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Please make sure you check the car fax - I'd stay far away from anything that was a rental. I worked in the rental business for over 10 years between 3 of the big 4 agencies and can tell you that rent cars are dogged hard and not taken care of. They allow cars to go 6 to 8K hard miles in between oil changes as it's more important to get the car out on a rental than sitting in a line for the maintenance bay not making money. They just top off the oil when it gets returned, clean it up and send it back out for rent. Then when the car approaches 12 to 14K miles, it goes to auction. I've seen cars go to auction that had the first oil change in preparation for the auto auction. Popular cars, especially ones like the Camaro, Mustang and challenger have short, but hellacious rental lives. Looks like the gray one was a rental. I'm sure I'll get hammered for saying this, but I saw it every day for years.
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I bought used with no problems
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
siviog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
Please make sure you check the car fax - I'd stay far away from anything that was a rental. I worked in the rental business for over 10 years between 3 of the big 4 agencies and can tell you that rent cars are dogged hard and not taken care of. They allow cars to go 6 to 8K hard miles in between oil changes as it's more important to get the car out on a rental than sitting in a line for the maintenance bay not making money. They just top off the oil when it gets returned, clean it up and send it back out for rent. Then when the car approaches 12 to 14K miles, it goes to auction. I've seen cars go to auction that had the first oil change in preparation for the auto auction. Popular cars, especially ones like the Camaro, Mustang and challenger have short, but hellacious rental lives. Looks like the gray one was a rental. I'm sure I'll get hammered for saying this, but I saw it every day for years.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Above all....please, please do not buy before (as stated above) checking car fax, test driving, taking the time to look inside, outside, underneath...etc. If you are good with cars, check the fluids. Us old folks get laughed at for kicking tires, but hey, these days you cannot be too careful. Just be sure you are 100% satisfied before you sign the dotted line.
Happy hunting.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
siviog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Above all....please, please do not buy before (as stated above) checking car fax, test driving, taking the time to look inside, outside, underneath...etc. If you are good with cars, check the fluids. Us old folks get laughed at for kicking tires, but hey, these days you cannot be too careful. Just be sure you are 100% satisfied before you sign the dotted line.
Happy hunting.
I wish I knew about cars as I do computers, so that's why I'm asking for you all help. Maybe I can find an article on what to check on these cars before my purchase.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Dexter9522

Drives: SS
Do you have any friends that are into cars and know their way under the hood. Like people say there are great deals out there and awesome cars that have been taken care of just gotta know what your looking for. If you have a friend take him with you or I'm sure there may be some knowledgable c5 members that may be willing to help you out if you narrow your search. But yes car fax and any records they have to show maintenance especially if your buying higher mileage.
Dexter9522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
siviog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter9522 View Post
Do you have any friends that are into cars and know their way under the hood. Like people say there are great deals out there and awesome cars that have been taken care of just gotta know what your looking for. If you have a friend take him with you or I'm sure there may be some knowledgable c5 members that may be willing to help you out if you narrow your search. But yes car fax and any records they have to show maintenance especially if your buying higher mileage.
I do have friends but trying to schedule to meet to go to a few dealerships to check out cars is difficult to schedule.