Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
damiiaaannn

Drives: Range Rover Supercharged, TSX
dealer said that a cat-back system and a CAI will void warranty

My dealer said that a cat-back system and a CAI will void warranty. Was he just telling me a bunch of
Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
SSYED
Future SS owner

Drives: 2003 Maxima GLE
If warranty is an issue, I would ask another dealer what their policy is on performance parts. I've seen it differ from dealership to dealership.

SSYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
as he is full of

if you insist on using this dealer, or dealing with this service manager, print out a copy of the Maguson-Moss Act. Then talk to the owner, if HE has the same veiw point, find another dealer......if its just the service manager that is blowing smoke up your butt, give the owner the copy and ask him to give it to his employee and to "get with the program" or you intend on taking your business elsewere. as someone, and its not you, has their head up their "you know where".
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Jagerday

Drives: 2010 RJT SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
as he is full of

if you insist on using this dealer, or dealing with this service manager, print out a copy of the Maguson-Moss Act. Then talk to the owner, if HE has the same veiw point, find another dealer......if its just the service manager that is blowing smoke up your butt, give the owner the copy and ask him to give it to his employee and to "get with the program" or you intend on taking your business elsewere. as someone, and its not you, has their head up their "you know where".

+ = +
Jagerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
boreas

Drives: 2LT/RS TFE yeah!
It might be a Canadian thing in my case, but all 3 dealers I contacted confirmed that CAI would vould any warranty on the engine :( GM Canada never even return an answer...

Phil
boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
The warranty is voided on the parts removed. The aftermarket parts have their own warranty.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiiaaannn View Post
My dealer said that a cat-back system and a CAI will void warranty. Was he just telling me a bunch of
Yes he was.

Will This Mod Void My Warranty?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Buy em from the dealer, he's full of shit!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
damiiaaannn

Drives: Range Rover Supercharged, TSX
Alright thanks everybody, I thought it was just BS, but wanted to make sure. What about headers though? Do those void warranty? And will it pass smog in CA?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
SSYED
Future SS owner

Drives: 2003 Maxima GLE
Same thing with headers, it'll void the parts removed warranty. Now, if you go and tune your car with the headers, it will in fact void your GM powertrain warranty. I can't speak for the smog in CA because I don't live there.

SSYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiiaaannn View Post
Alright thanks everybody, I thought it was just BS, but wanted to make sure. What about headers though? Do those void warranty? And will it pass smog in CA?
I'm under the impression that shorties that have a CARB # are ok in CA, no long tubes will because they move/relocate cats from a stock positon. If you get a CEL and continue to drive w/ it, it may void the powertrain, a tune could lead to a legal battle
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
ericgoul

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS IBM L99
my dealer(service management) confirmed that a x-pipe doesn't void my warranty.

Last edited by ericgoul; 09-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.
ericgoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
I'm getting my resonator replaced despite having high flow cats on although there is a TSB out on it.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Unfortunately any modifications to the vehicle can be used to void a warranty on the vehicle. This is the GM stance on modifications:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Further more, if determined appropriate, the GM Field Representative can proceed with voiding certain portions of the vehicle’s warranty.

Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts and/or calibrations. The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration.

The only exception is that non-GM parts labeled "Certified to EPA Standards" are covered by the Federal Emissions Performance Warranty.

If you do modify your vehicle then you will have to check with your local dealer to see if they would be willing to work on your vehicle with these modifications.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote