Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #183
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Is there a DIY write up on changing the door to red ?
Not sure. I did mine though. You just need two red GM LEDs. Open up the door and replace them. I know, easier said than done but it isn't that difficult.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #184
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
There is a DIY here somewhere. I think 2SSRS wrote it. I have it bookmarked at home, but it's a lot simpler than the gauges!

From memory, the door has 5 bolts on it, remove those, then the door panel pops out. Disconnect all harnesses and the door handle spring. You can follow where the ABL tube is and find the harness/plastic thing that holds in the LED. You will have to loosen the plastic tabs that hold in the ABL tube.

All you do then, is unsolder the LED that's there and resolder in another one of a different color. I believe they are 5mm LED bulbs, not 100% positive though. Give me a couple of hours, if no one else has pointed you to the right thread, I'll find it for you tonight.

Easy peasy, should take you an hour, maybe 2, depending on how stubborn the harnesses are when it comes to disconnecting them, lol
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #185
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
There is a DIY here somewhere. I think 2SSRS wrote it. I have it bookmarked at home, but it's a lot simpler than the gauges!

From memory, the door has 5 bolts on it, remove those, then the door panel pops out. Disconnect all harnesses and the door handle spring. You can follow where the ABL tube is and find the harness/plastic thing that holds in the LED. You will have to loosen the plastic tabs that hold in the ABL tube.

All you do then, is unsolder the LED that's there and resolder in another one of a different color. I believe they are 5mm LED bulbs, not 100% positive though. Give me a couple of hours, if no one else has pointed you to the right thread, I'll find it for you tonight.

Easy peasy, should take you an hour, maybe 2, depending on how stubborn the harnesses are when it comes to disconnecting them, lol
+1 What she said (see? I said "she". I remembered!).

But I only unscrewed the door panel (3 screws around the edges, one bold behind the door handle, and one bolt under the door pocket rubber) and pulled it open on the bottom. I laid on the ground on a creeper and could see everything. Unplugged the LED harness from there. I had GM LEDs so I just plugged them in and closed it up. Took me less than a half hour.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #186
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

whoohoo! I'm still a girl!! : )

That way does sound a bit easier! I actually added another LED on the other side, too, though. It was easier to see the whole door panel. I probably would've ripped off half the wires doing it your way, lol!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #187
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
Cyber, here is a link to that thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115234

It was a pretty easy mod to do, and the door panels come off pretty easily.

Here's a link to those instructions:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=29

Here's a link to the LEDs I used:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

But if doing it again, I think I would get the ones without the resistors and use the resistor in the car (or solder one farther from the LED) - the resister in these pre-wired ones are spaced in exactly the wrong spot to make them fit quite right... and it took some work to get things to fit. Anyways, once I got everything in, it works like a charm and looks cool.

Also, these LEDs are a VERY nice, deep red; they look just like in my pics in post 51.

Now that I am getting better at this, I am going to order a few more of these pre-wired lights and wire lights into the interior door handles next. I plan on using the same power source as the ABL.

Last edited by CaryE1; 01-23-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Add link for removing door panels.
CaryE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #188
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

This is the link I was looking for yesterday. It's similar to one of the ones CaryE1 posted yesterday, a little different if you're more of a visual person like me! lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124391
Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #189
sleep4fun

Drives: Nightfall Gray 1SS M6
If I do this, I am going to look into doing the rings red, the numbers orange, and the DIC yellow. Is this possible?
sleep4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #190
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4fun View Post
If I do this, I am going to look into doing the rings red, the numbers orange, and the DIC yellow. Is this possible?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: See post 138 on page 6.

The green LEDs that are circled in black are the ones that light up the numbers. -You change to orange.

The green LEDs that are not circled are for the halos (there are 4 on each side). -You change to red.

The LEDs in the middle are for the DIC. -You change to yellow.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #191
sleep4fun

well thank you very much
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #192
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4fun View Post
Going for a sunset effect? Or work for the Today Show?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #193
sleep4fun

LOL IDK just looking for something different.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #194
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

You're welcome, and please post it so we can see what it looks like!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #195
sleep4fun

Wont be for some time, spent my last bit of money on School Books and a red 22in LED scanner for behind my grille
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #196
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

I completely understand!