Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Motorcycle helmet laws

I live in Nebraska and we have helmet law. It is going up to the vote again in April next year. How many of you don't have a helmet law and who does or doesn't wear a helmet?

I have a Sportbike and it is really fast so going on the highways it is bugfest without one or even having the faceshield up. I couldn't imagine riding on the highway without one. What do you do?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
Delaware. no law. always wear one. Would be dead with out it
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Delaware. no law. always wear one. Would be dead with out it
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
I weare a helmet because its required..... but I gotta be honest. There are times where I feel that I would rather die from not wearing a helmet, than spend the rest of my life wearing a helmet because I am brain damaged after an accident with a helmet.

What a lot of people dont realize is that safety standards for helmets, just like that of car crash tests, are very misleading. Car crash tests are done at low speeds, not highway speeds. Helmets are rated to survive a fall of 10 feet.

If you are going more than 50 mph and have a wreck, in many more cases than not, the helmet is just good for helping find whats left of the head.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I live in florida. Sold my GSXR last summer and always wore a full faced helmet. Now I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 and I never hear a helmet. There are a lot of bugs that smash your face, dust, and even small rocks that hurt like hell, but the feeling of the wind on your face is worth it. Also, I have no windshield on the bike.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
as for bugs without a face shield...... How man cruiser/harley riders do you see wearing a face shield? maybe 5%. . . . oh but they have windshields.... no, not even half of harleys have windshields....... So we get smacked in the face by bugs regularly. big deal.

I hit a full grown red hawk while riding at 90 mph. Thought it dislocated my shoulder at first, but I was fine, just hurt a lot. If I was worried about hitting what may be in the air, I would stay in a car/truck
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
I weare a helmet because its required..... but I gotta be honest. There are times where I feel that I would rather die from not wearing a helmet, than spend the rest of my life wearing a helmet because I am brain damaged after an accident with a helmet.

What a lot of people dont realize is that safety standards for helmets, just like that of car crash tests, are very misleading. Car crash tests are done at low speeds, not highway speeds. Helmets are rated to survive a fall of 10 feet.

If you are going more than 50 mph and have a wreck, in many more cases than not, the helmet is just good for helping find whats left of the head.
I think you're looking at this wrong. Sure, at 50+ mph, helmet or not, things will likely be bad. However, most crashes are at low speeds where a helmet can make a life or death or paralysis difference. I'd sure hate to be badly hurt in a parking lot speed crash just because I wasn't wearing a helmet. It tips the odds in your favor is all.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Who was the actor that fell over and hit his head on the curb without a helmet? Gary Busey I think. Just fell over. Wasn't moving if I recall the story correctly.

At a minimum, though, I hope those without helmets are at least wearing eye protection. A stone or even a large insect at 60 mph in the eye would have some pretty nasty results.

I've always worn gloves, helmet, jacket, jeans and boots when riding. Of course I sold my bike this year so maybe I don't count any more :(
Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I wore one when i rode. A girl pulled out from a stop sign and I hit her. I was going 25 when I started braking. after every thing cleared and I got home There was about a 1/16 gash in the helmet where it hit the a pillar of the car.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
CA here and we have a helmet law. I think it's stupid. Why are you not letting natural selection run its course?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
I live in Virginia and we have a helmet law, I am near West Virginia and North Carolina and both of those states also have a helmet law. I go to South Carolina and Florida a lot and neither have a helmet law and I am guilty of riding without one in those states. I know the risk but it feels great. I do have a windshield on my Harley.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Have a head, have a helmet.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
No helmet reguired here,I still wear mine
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Louisiana at one point had a governer who rode and the helmet law was replelled. Those days are long gone now.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote