Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
mpate16

Drives: 2012 Camaro LSX 2LT RS
Kicker Audio?

Do they make good subs and or speakers?
mpate16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
kicker makes some of the best subs and speakers in my opinion. i've always loved kicker products.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
for the money, they are good... but far from the best.

10x better than OEM, maybe 100x better than OEM, but for just a little bit more money, you can get some really excellent non-mainstream equipment. (non-mainstream = stuff not sold at Best Buy or Car Toys as an example)

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
mpate16

Drives: 2012 Camaro LSX 2LT RS
oh ok well thats good to hear... one of the custom shops here in memphis said that kicker makes good speakers and subs that are pretty reasonably priced so i will def have to take a look at them
mpate16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpate16 View Post
kicker makes good speakers and subs that are pretty reasonably priced

probably the most accurate way of describing Kicker ever...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
Agreed.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
I'd go a bit better then that, lol. IMHO, Kicker is probably the best, most reasonably priced, mainstreme name out there. Lots of world titles, in both SPL and SQ, to back them up. For the money, Kicker is flat out hard to beat.

Now, can Kicker be beat? Absolutely. Mainstreme companies like Memphis, JL, Rockford, Boston Acoustics, Alpine and Kenwood, just to name a few, all have quality products, at price points all over the board. Non-mainstreme companies like Sundown Audio, SSA, Incriminator Audio, RE, SI and the list goes on, can compete as well, and usually for less money. Downside is, their product line might not be as extensive.

IMHO, product name come second to product install. Your install is far more important then the name brand on you product. If your install sucks, your product will suck, regardless of who's name is on the cone/case. Get your install right, and your product will shine! Then it will only be made better by having the better product!

In short, Kicker is a good name to run with. In the right install, it can be just as loud, if not louder, sound just as good, if not better, and last just as long, if not longer, then anything else out there.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i've been using kicker amps and subs for over 15 years and never had a problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
I'd go a bit better then that, lol. IMHO, Kicker is probably the best, most reasonably priced, mainstreme name out there. Lots of world titles, in both SPL and SQ, to back them up. For the money, Kicker is flat out hard to beat.

Now, can Kicker be beat? Absolutely. Mainstreme companies like Memphis, JL, Rockford, Boston Acoustics, Alpine and Kenwood, just to name a few, all have quality products, at price points all over the board. Non-mainstreme companies like Sundown Audio, SSA, Incriminator Audio, RE, SI and the list goes on, can compete as well, and usually for less money. Downside is, their product line might not be as extensive.

IMHO, product name come second to product install. Your install is far more important then the name brand on you product. If your install sucks, your product will suck, regardless of who's name is on the cone/case. Get your install right, and your product will shine! Then it will only be made better by having the better product!

In short, Kicker is a good name to run with. In the right install, it can be just as loud, if not louder, sound just as good, if not better, and last just as long, if not longer, then anything else out there.
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:

I probably should give Kicker more credit than I do... as a general rule they are the default brand for a reliable system. not sure why I cant manage to mentally upgrade them, one of my closest friends has a 100% kicker system (amps, subs, comps, wiring) and it sounds good and is definitely bulletproof, he beats the sh*t out of it every time he starts his car (fear factory at near full volume daily).

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
i've been using kicker amps and subs for over 15 years and never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post

Quote:
I probably should give Kicker more credit than I do... as a general rule they are the default brand for a reliable system. not sure why I cant manage to mentally upgrade them, one of my closest friends has a 100% kicker system (amps, subs, comps, wiring) and it sounds good and is definitely bulletproof, he beats the sh*t out of it every time he starts his car (fear factory at near full volume daily).
I think the biggest issue in perception. Kicker doesn't use the shiny cases, the super sleek baskets or uber neat boxes to pack stuff in. Kicker comes across as best buyish in a way. However, kicker continually performs, and like you said, take a beating.

Now, toss in their ability to take a beating and get loud, and people think kicker is all spl all the time. And since spl installs are all the rage, people think kicker can't sound good. Boy, are those folks wrong, lol.

In your case, it's just a developed opinion. You know what you are talking about, have played with quality equipment and as such, developed an opinion of the product. I feel the same way about kenwood. While their headunits are quality pieces, I can't stand them based on their user interface. Compared to similar quality brands, kenwood is the worst to use, IMO. Does that make them bad, no. Just means I won't recommend them highly, lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
I think the biggest issue in perception. Kicker doesn't use the shiny cases, the super sleek baskets or uber neat boxes to pack stuff in. Kicker comes across as best buyish in a way. However, kicker continually performs, and like you said, take a beating.

Now, toss in their ability to take a beating and get loud, and people think kicker is all spl all the time. And since spl installs are all the rage, people think kicker can't sound good. Boy, are those folks wrong, lol.

In your case, it's just a developed opinion. You know what you are talking about, have played with quality equipment and as such, developed an opinion of the product. I feel the same way about kenwood. While their headunits are quality pieces, I can't stand them based on their user interface. Compared to similar quality brands, kenwood is the worst to use, IMO. Does that make them bad, no. Just means I won't recommend them highly, lol.

I am actually considering my first Kenwood head unit in 10 years... and its the concern of the interface that's keeping me from pulling the trigger. I will probably bite the bullet and give it a try, I am hoping that the interface is difficult because I am so used to Pioneer and Alpine. lol

So, back to the OP - Kicker - yeah, they make good stuff...

Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I still have a set of Kicker competition 8's from the 90's sitting on a shelf.Just trying to figure out how to get them into one of my cars.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:

I am actually considering my first Kenwood head unit in 10 years... and its the concern of the interface that's keeping me from pulling the trigger. I will probably bite the bullet and give it a try, I am hoping that the interface is difficult because I am so used to Pioneer and Alpine. lol

So, back to the OP - Kicker - yeah, they make good stuff...
I had a shop for i guess 15yrs,i was the number 1 dealer for kenwwod a couple of years,for a one store operation anyway i had very little returns..Sony was a different story,ive alwas liked kenwood i actualy had 13 kenwood amps and 39 speakers in a 84 cutlass one time lol...Ive been using alpine lately the processor they have is bad ass
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote