Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Upgrading stock suspension comparable to 1LE?

I have an LS3 equipped camaro with its stock suspension. After reading and watching so many good things on how amazing the handling is on the 1LE I can't help but feel like my SS is just 'Meh' now. Although I Love my car, I have an itch for wanting a 1LE now but I do not want to take a loss and trade. So instead what I want to know is, what ingredients of suspension parts do I need to come up with a recipe that will make my car Handle as good if not better than the 1LE? All my knowledge on cars (which isn't a lot ) is mainly engines so I apologize if you may need to explain things to me as if I were a child.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and I thank you all very much in advance for your time!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
You need this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=16

Should be available around May through Chevrolet Performance Catalog, no word yet on price......be patient "grasshopper"!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You can have a car that handles better than a 1LE relatively easily. Springs, sway bars, and a few key bushings will get you there.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
sam.u.el

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
You need this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=16

Should be available around May through Chevrolet Performance Catalog, no word yet on price......be patient "grasshopper"!!!
Ahh yes! I think I've seen a few posts like that about the package being available for non 1LE cars but lurking around somewhere I read you can probably get better performance going aftermarket, and maybe even saving a few bucks knowing how expensive GM parts are. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure just in case though. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Just saw Apex's post. See what I mean? I see it every where haha.
Thanks Chase. Is there a package that sells all those items?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
I would recommend a Pfadt ZL1/FE4 Spec Stage 2 or 3 package. We could also do a custom package somewhere in between the two. A Stage 2.5 if you will.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
Ahh yes! I think I've seen a few posts like that about the package being available for non 1LE cars but lurking around somewhere I read you can probably get better performance going aftermarket, and maybe even saving a few bucks knowing how expensive GM parts are. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure just in case though. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Just saw Apex's post. See what I mean? I see it every where haha.
You are wrong about the price!!! The 1LE package will be significanly less than what you will pay for aftermarket stuff. You can buy much of the 1LE kit already....if you buy all the parts separately, and the prices are much less than aftermarket. Go on the 1LE section and snoop around there for a while, you'll find 'em.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
Just get what apex chase was saying. You will have a better suspension than the 1le and it is all in one package.

Dont forget that the 1le has upgraded drivetrain as well. The transmission is different and the rear gears are different. You would have to get the close gear ratios from rpmtransmissions or somewhere. You als0 need to install some gears. Either 3.73:1, 3.91:1, or 4.10:1.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
blazzin1

If you want 1LE-like performance, like you said in the first post, you can get it VERY affordably. Don't get me wrong Apex Chase is a great guy and I have bought plenty of stuff from him. If you are going to buy aftermarket, then by all means, buy from Chase. However, just so you are aware of your options, take a look at just the sway bars....

You can buy both 1LE sway bars for $200, see here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259466

Or, yes, you can certainly have better-than-1LE performance by getting the Pfadt ZL1-Spec sway bars (as Chase suggested) for $525, see here:
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/269

Most of the other suspension parts are priced very similar to these sway bars. It all depends on your budget. Like I said, if you want 1LE performance....you can get it very affordably. If you want more....be prepared to give up some cash. Your choice!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Don't believe the bs that you can make a SS as good as a 1LE with springs, sways and a few bushings...I have had a 10SS that had springs/sways/subframe connectors/BMR adjustable toe rods, trailing arms, end links, 19" wheels and NT-05's, it was not even close to what my stock 1LE suspension is without adding anything...needs a little lowering....but you cannot believe the difference that the 1LE suspension, trans and gearing make versus a regular SS....so I get adding suspension parts to make your SS better, don't listen to someone telling you it will be as good as with a couple of aftermarket parts....

Last edited by So Cal Camaro; 01-21-2013 at 10:04 PM.
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Don't believe the bs that you can make it as good as a 1LE with springs, sways and a few bushings...I doubt that is going to be the same as all the added parts on the 1LE, not to mention the trans and gearing makes a huge difference compared to my old Camaro...the 1LE is better stock than my prior 10 Camaro that had all the added suspension from the aftermarket...

Like apex chase said, its easy to to make a car handle better than 1le. Just find the parts list and get better ones. Not too many parts to get.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Don't believe the bs that you can make a SS as good as a 1LE with springs, sways and a few bushings...I have had a 10SS that had springs/sways/subframe connectors/BMR adjustable toe rods, trailing arms, end links, 19" wheels and NT-05's, it was not even close to what my stock 1LE suspension is without adding anything...needs a little lowering....but you cannot believe the difference that the 1LE suspension, trans and gearing make versus a regular SS....so I get adding suspension parts to make your SS better, don't listen to someone telling you it will be as good as with a couple of aftermarket parts....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed View Post

Like apex chase said, its easy to to make a car handle better than 1le. Just find the parts list and get better ones. Not too many parts to get.
I guess the confusion here is that the 1LE is more than a track pack on a SS. The 1LE has different drivetrain components, but handling is fairly easy to attain through a variety of means. If you want to handle like a 1LE but are happy with your drivetrain, you can probably go a few ways.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
At a minimum, add the 2013 LCA's and Pedders ZL1 style sway bar...you won't acheive 1LE performance without some coilovers, as I've had drop springs...they won't do to match the 1LE suspension....you'll need more parts than the 1LE package costs...and don't forget some lighter weight wheels....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
sam.u.el

Thank you everyone for your responses! I guess I should've clarified that I knew the 1LE had different gearing, wheels/tires, etc. The_Blur would be correct in assuming I'm happy with my current drivetrain (for now haha). I'm just wanting my SS to handle well enough to where I wouldn't feel like I HAVE to buy a 1LE for great performance. My knowledge on suspension is pretty non existent which is why I started this thread for advice and info. I tried searching and lurking here and there to read up on different parts but was confused on it all.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Good thing is you already have the FE4 suspension so you don't have to convert that over. Get you some ZL1 spec bars from either Pedders or Pfadt. Get you some coilovers. Get some bushings for the cradle, inserts will probably be good enough if your under 500hp. Add a good Agressive Street alignment with specs from Pedders or Pfadt. That right their will improve you alot.

If you have the money then go ahead and do Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, and more bushings like the differential and radius rod bushings. A set of lighter wheels will help alot as well.

Gears really give the car alot of get up and go as well.

As you can see I have pretty much all of those except for the wheels. Will mine out perform a 1LE? Maybe not....but at this point I feel like my car will out perform what I'm willing to push it to.

If you were buying new or willing to take a trade in hit then yes....start off with the 1LE. If not, you can get your car to feel a heck of a lot better.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote