Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Had my baby (2SS) a week and a half - experiences

I'm sure this has been done before but here are my experiences as a 1.5 week owner of a new '10 2SS .
(grab a drink this is going to be a long one )

Well like the title says I've had my RJT, 2SS/RS, M6, sunroof for a week and a half now and I figure I'd give my overall impressions.

First of all I am just starting to become not terrified of her . This car is my first brand new car and my first dealer car so there's all that but this is also my first muscle car and first manual in about 4 years.

So I guess with all that said I am completely new to this car .

My first impressions are that this car for lack of a better word takes off in first much different than any other car I have driven. You have to give her more gas than I am used to especially on hills (everywhere I go involves a hill* correction - mountain) so.... getting used to driving a manual 2SS takes a little getting used to especially if the radio is too loud as the engine is pretty quiet and you can't hear the engine too well or feel it's revving due to the smoothness of the cars ride. After a weeks worth of driving I have pretty much gotten used to her . This would happen much quicker if I didn't live on a mountain .

Moving on, after getting 1st gear down you'll soon encounter the ever annoying CAGS or Computer Aided Gear Selection. If this thing saved me $ on my car then it better be worth it because this thing is a pain in the ass. I cannot wait to install a "skip shift eliminator" this CAGS or skip shift is annoying as hell and I'd say comes on 3 out of 5 take off's and when it does come on and try's to force you into 4th 4th gear is usually way to high of a gear to go into thus causing the engine to lug therefore going against what your manual says . You can "bypass" this by either buying the skip shift eliminator (no promotion as I don't have it yet but this is where I'll be getting mine) or by simply letting the RPM's come down and then shifting into 2nd or third. In the end my suggestion is just to buy the skip shift eliminator, for me it was good to see what the CAGS deal was all about as I have never had a car with it but I am well over the inquiry stage by now .

Moving on... we've covered getting the car rolling and the whole CAGS deal... I guess I'll move onto transmission noise. I personally can hear this car's gear changing much more than any standard I have ever driven. When you put the car in 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. you can actually hear the transmission engaging the gear, very cool if you ask me (please tell me if that is unnatural .)

Next the stereo, the stereo sounds great I absolutely love it until yesterday that is, not sure what happened but when I first turn the stereo on using a USB flash drive (haven't tested different inputs yet) it is pretty staticy. This goes away and sounds completely clear after about 15 secs. I'm not sure what's going on here but it only seems to happen if the car has sat for say 10hrs or so. If it get's worse I'll consult my local dealer.

Umm... Sunroof. I'm Sooo glad I got this now that I've had it for a bit. I live in upstate NY so it rains or snows 335 days a year but when it doesn't having the sunroof open makes the interior of my RJT Camaro with black leather interior so much brighter, plus it matches the non painted XM/OnStar shark fin. I am 6"0 and as I like to call it I'm a "large American" so I have about 2" of head clearance give or take a full wallet and baseball cap. With this being said I fully endorse the sunroof but before you order your car with one go and sit in 2 or 3 Camaro's with sunroofs and make sure you fit, this is the only true way to tell unless you are 5'5" or shorter (big ups to my shorter brothers ).

Heated mirrors; It's been rather moist out a couple times that I have my baby out and I have absolutely no idea of how to turn the heated mirrors on to get the fog off of them. I am sure it is in the manual somewhere I just haven't read it yet. This is not a down point on the car at all I just don't recall seeing a clearly labeled button for "heat the mirrors". Heat the seats however is clearly labeled and works great . I crashed at a rest stop on my way back to NY from CamaroScotty in WI and turned the heated seats on long enough to warm me up, I then took the towels I had brought with me to keep the GM splash guards protected and used them as blankets .

Splash guards, I know I know I don't like the looks of them either but I do however like the looks of my paint. If you have the funding get your baby clear bra'd (is bra'd a word?). I still need to give NY $3K plus for taxes (haven't gotten WI title yet ) so a nice see through bra for my baby is (that sounds wrong) is not in my immediate future. The GM splash guards however seem to be working great, I do have a couple small paint chips but that's par for the course, you take a 800 mile road trip these things are going to happen. Long story short I'd suggest getting them, you might look at them on occasion and grumble but 90% of non 5thgen Camaro fanatics will have no idea that they are not stock.

Well I talked about my 800 (802) mile trip so I'll mention the seat comfort. I'll say it as I said it to CamaroScotty, "these seats are like LA-Z-Boy recliners". Granted I was as excited as a... Camaro owner but after 14hrs of nonstop (only gas) driving and I felt as comfortable as if I had just sat down in a recliner after working outside all day. Amazing seats! .

So I've covered 1st gear, CAGS, transmission noise, stereo, sunroof, heated mirrors, and seats among other things. What haven't I blabbered on about? The car's power I guess.

I test drove a CGM 1LT with black interior and sunroof which I officially names Maggy (CGM color reminded me of a Magnum) Vin # 2G1FB1EV7A9112227 back in October of '09. I instantly fell in love with her but alas our love would never flourish as she belonged to Avis (you'll always be my first Maggy ). Anyways while I had her I fully respected her 99% of the time I drove her, you've got to step on her at least once . With that being said now that I have driven a SS compared to a LS/LT... my God, I see no reason for me to ever own the Z/28 . The LS/LT had enough power for me for sure but the SS has more power than I think I'm even able to control, lol. This thing is insane! In a good way of course, if you know and respect the cars abilities .

Well I think this concludes my experiences with the car itself so far, I never got into how amazing the car looks, drives, turns, stops, rides, or how it gives me goosebumps when I look out across the parking lot at her when the streetlights shine off of her beautiful RJT hood . But if you are thinking about this car than you are half way there, not half way to owning a 5thgen Camaro but half way to being obsessed with one. I have had my baby home for 9 days now and I have put over 200 miles on her, as soon as you get one I have got to say good luck getting out, she will completely take over your life . Ever sit down and think about miniscule things that you might need? Well if you get a Camaro you will, "Hmm I wonder how much dental floss I have, I better go downtown and pick up some". Did I need more dental floss? No. But did I take my baby out for a spin to get some? You bet I did.

All in all this car is all I expected it to be and more. So much more that I could ramble on for another hour or so but I won't because most won't make it this far through my drabble and if you are a steadfast soul who has I don't want to drive you insane, lol.

Cliffs:
This car is amazing, GM, Oshawa workers, CamaroScotty...

Thank you... Thank you... Thank you! .

Ohh, pictures . (and no more until she gets a proper Adam's bath)

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Congrats! She looks beautiful!

Cool writeup! Glad you're enjoying her!

BTW, turning on your rear window defroster will turn on your side mirror heaters. No, it doesn't indicate that anyway, you'd have to read it in the owner's manual

Many people say the CAGS is no big deal, but it was one of the first mods I did! Get rid of it! Especially with hills, umm, I mean, mountains

Enjoy!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Great write up. I am ordering mine this week and can't wait to have had my baby for a whole week.
snowtrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
BTW, turning on your rear window defroster will turn on your side mirror heaters. No, it doesn't indicate that anyway, you'd have to read it in the owner's manual.
Copy, I'm getting through the manual, I usually check before I ask but that's why I threw in the "I haven't checked yet" . And yeah, CAGS needs to go away like last week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrill View Post
Great write up. I am ordering mine this week and can't wait to have had my baby for a whole week.
You are going to love it man, what a blast. What color, trim level?

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
NOW you can call your self one lucky guy, no, really , go and do it.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
You are going to love it man, what a blast. What color, trim level?
2SS/RS Moon Roof and Ground Effects

The color is currently under family debate - I am stuck between RJT and Black. My mom votes for Black, I am leaning towards RJT and my son in law votes for Green or Yellow....

I'm looking forward to finding out what I order.
snowtrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Congrats!
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Inferno Man

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 2010
Glad you like it!!! Well worth the wait huh!!??!!

2000 4/21/2010
3000 4/28/2010 TPW 5/10/2010
3300 5/5/2010
3400 5/10/2010
3800 5/11/2010
HOME 5/28/2010!!!!!
Inferno Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Grats on your new ride! The CAGS is easy to defeat; just leave it in first gear until about 21 mph and it goes away. Don't be afraid to let the revs climb up while in first; it's designed for that. Sounds good too.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Hobgoblin42

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Anniversary edition
Send a message via Yahoo to Hobgoblin42
"I live in upstate NY so it rains or snows 335 days a year"

Very Nice looking car. however please do not continue the myth that the weather up here is that bad, yeah in the winter its a little chilly but it really isn't that bad.
Hobgoblin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #12
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Great read!! Looks awesome and glad you made it home safe and sound. Scotty is definetly the best!
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Congrats! She looks beautiful!

Cool writeup! Glad you're enjoying her!

BTW, turning on your rear window defroster will turn on your side mirror heaters. No, it doesn't indicate that anyway, you'd have to read it in the owner's manual

Many people say the CAGS is no big deal, but it was one of the first mods I did! Get rid of it! Especially with hills, umm, I mean, mountains

Enjoy!
had mine 7 months now and just thought the heated mirrors were automatic and only came on under 32 degrees. good to know the defroster button works them.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Grats on your new ride! The CAGS is easy to defeat; just leave it in first gear until about 21 mph and it goes away. Don't be afraid to let the revs climb up while in first; it's designed for that. Sounds good too.
Thats what I'm talking about!
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote