Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
oc2ssrs

Drives: 2ssrs
CARB/SMOG Long Tube Headers

Whats up fellow gear heads. Ok so I am hearing a few different things on this subject and obviously I know what every retailer says, but... With the new Cali laws that came out this year in regards to SMOG can Long Tube Headers be ran on a car if you pass the SNIFF test since the Visual does not need to be performed or am i notified incorrectly? I was told by a trusted shop of mine that lately long tube headers have been passing as long as they pass the sniff test because tyhen the visual does not matter as long as the car is not polutting.
*3.6 Jannetty Pulley*CAI Intake*
*Elite CatchCan*VMax Throttle Body*
*Stainless Power LT w/HF Cats*ID 85's*
*Eibach Pro Kit* *VIS Racing Terminator CF Hood & Trunk*Eibach Pro Kit*
oc2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
nah, everything installed on the car must be CARB approved and have an EO number stamped on it or come with the appropriate decal.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Longtubes will fail the visual inspection. If the shop looks the other way and doesn't mind as long as the car passes the sniffer, then you're good.

If the shop looks the other way however, they are putting their job on the line, so it's not easy to find a shop like that.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
RedVborn
SoCal HT5

Drives: LS camaro m6
The new system that cali has to smog cars is there is no more emssion test its all visual and function like if the check engine light is on or monitors are incomplete it will nt pass and carb legal EO# must be on any after market component this new system is for 2000 and newer cars
RedVborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVborn View Post
The new system that cali has to smog cars is there is no more emssion test its all visual and function like if the check engine light is on or monitors are incomplete it will nt pass and carb legal EO# must be on any after market component this new system is for 2000 and newer cars
This. No more sniffer test. Actually what would be worse if you got pulled over prior to the smog test and the officer found you were out of compliance he could send you to the state referee in which you would have to fix it before you could drive it again.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I may end up moving to Cali over the next few years and I have lt headers and hf cats.

I've considered registering the car here in Texas my dads name but im thinking that wont fly long term.

Another option is to put stock cats/headers back and get smog tested. Then put lt headers back on.

Final option is to get carb approved shorties, but I'll lose hp and need a new tune.

For those with experience in Cali, what do you think?

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
CMYarb

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SIM 2SS/RS
Keep it registered in Texas. I kept mine registered in VA the whole time I was there. It will save you money, especially if you have long tubes, etc. California has downright silly smog laws.
CMYarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Remember, for new car sales, the car does not have to be tested for 6 years from the date of sale for year 2000 and up (I believe) vehicles. I haven't owned a car here long enough to ever get it emissions tested.

And, Cali has a requirement that you have 90 days to register an out of state vehicle or you will be fined if caught...not sure what the fine is.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
DemonZL1

5 years for first owner. if resold, has to be smogged then it's a smog every 2 years but registration paid every year.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
DemonZL1

to "legally" drive in the state as a resident, yes.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
Aldo68

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS, 87 Monte Carlo SS
Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

Straight from The DMV Website
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
DemonZL1

good post !

Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #13
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
This. No more sniffer test. Actually what would be worse if you got pulled over prior to the smog test and the officer found you were out of compliance he could send you to the state referee in which you would have to fix it before you could drive it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo68 View Post
Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

Straight from The DMV Website
This is true. But, as I stated before in a previous post, if, you get pulled over for speeding, excessive noise, even tinting or no front license plate the LEO can make you pop your hood, get the mirrors out to look under to check your cats or headers and they can write you up and send you to the state referee to have it verified that everything was changed and fixed before you can drive your car again. It has happened to some forum members, and try arguing with an officer and going to court to fight it that you were pulled over for no license plate and that has nothing to do with emissions. Your time and money. That is why everything on the outside of my car is legal.

Last edited by SS PANTHER; 09-10-2014 at 04:29 AM.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Also if you are "nudged" into a random smog check (on the road) you can decline to volunteer correct? Happened to someone on forums and I think you don't have to.

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote