Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
Question Can window stickers be reprinted when the car is delivered?

Can the dealer reprint a window sticker for these cars when they are delivered?

They said Friday they could not print stickers, that it came from the factory already on the glass...what I want to know is, how many dealers will try to be sneaky and print off another sticker to up the MSRP price we all agreed on???

I was just told by a friend of mine who used to work for Ford, that they could reprint stickers.....so that is why I am posting...to find out if this is legit or not...

Anyone?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
The dealer can add a ("second sticker" next to the factory sticker that adds dealer accessories and maybe some more markup. But I don't think they are allowed to replace the sticker.

If it were damaged they could almost certainly reprint it w/o mods, you can see the stickers yourself when you search dealer inventory on GM's webpages.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
The dealer can add a ("second sticker" next to the factory sticker that adds dealer accessories and maybe some more markup. But I don't think they are allowed to replace the sticker.

If it were damaged they could almost certainly reprint it w/o mods, you can see the stickers yourself when you search dealer inventory on GM's webpages.

That is good to hear....are you saying I will be able to see the sticker for the vehicle I ordered on GM's website when the car is assigned a VIN or something? Before the dealership receives the car?

Sorry for the crazy questions, but I have to know to ease my mind....they were swearing they couldn't reprint stickers when I ordered Friday...then I started thinking about it, and asked a friend who used to work at Ford (same dealership family), and that is why I posted....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
jimbo57

Drives: 2010 SS, '06 EQUINOX, 72 MONTE
350 hrss

how was your experience on the pre order?
jimbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo57 View Post
how was your experience on the pre order?
It was great, we have bought from this dealership for years....I personally have gotten my 4 past f-bodies from there, they were even expecting me when I came in to order...they said they had never seen someone have so much fun ordering a car!

I just want to make sure there are no loopholes. They were trying to get me to agree to 40k out the door, that is everything...but I insisted I wanted MSRP, then add the other stuff....they finally agreed in writing, but I don't want any wool over my eyes in any kind of way....so that is why I am asking about this....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Altering the information on the window sticker is illegal. They can add an additional window sticker with dealer markup but they cannot alter the original.

http://www.usdoj.gov/civil/ocl/monograph/aida.htm

Quote:
The Automobile Information Disclosure Act (AIDA), 15 U.S.C. §§ 1231-1233, is more commonly known as the Monroney Act (Senator Mike Monroney was the chief sponsor of the Act) or Price Sticker Act. The Act requires the affixing of a retail price sticker to the windshield or side window of new automobiles indicating the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), that is, the "sticker price." Additional information, such as a list of any optional equipment offered or transportation charges, is also required.

The Federal Trade Commission publishes a fact sheet entitled Buying a New Car, that has additional information.

The AIDA was amended in 2005 in an effort to improve the dissemination of New Car Assessment Program ratings. The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) issued a Final Rule, 49 C.F.R. 375.301, that has a September 1, 2007, compliance date, that requires new car crash safety information, known as “Stars on Cars,” to be on the Monroney label. Gold stars appear on the Monroney label, ranging from 1-5, with more stars being better, to help consumers evaluate a car’s crash worthiness. See DOT’s website for more information.

Automobiles, by definition, include passenger vehicles and station wagons, and by extension passenger vans and similar vehicles, such as Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs). Not included, as explained in the legislative history, are pick-up trucks.

The Act prohibits the sticker from being removed or altered prior to sale to a consumer. Criminal prosecution is possible under 15 U.S.C. § 1233, for the willful removal of a label and is punishable as a Class A misdemeanor permitting a fine ($100,000 per violation for an individual and $200,000 per violation for an organization under 18 U.S.C. § 3571) as well as imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.

Under a related statute, 49 U.S.C. § 32908, manufacturers and importers of new automobiles, including each category of vehicle identified above and pick-up trucks, are required to affix a label to such vehicles with an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) label containing fuel economy information. See EPA website. Normally, the price sticker label and EPA label are combined as one large label. Failure to maintain the EPA label on the vehicle is considered a violation of AIDA. There are no private remedies under either Act.

OCL enforces AIDA, most commonly, by sending warning letters to dealerships alleged to have violated the Act. OCL also advises consumers of alternative avenues of redress where allegations have been made that a price sticker or EPA label is missing or altered.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

That is EXACTLY what I needed to see

Thank you!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
make sure you take that paper that says that law on a piece of paper when you go to buy your car, so you have proof when they try to say "yes we can"
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
I stopped by a Chrysler/Dodge dealership last Sunday to look at a couple of Challenger R/Ts and some Charger SRT8s. All of them were on the front row and every one of them had the window sticker laying in the front or back seat.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
make sure you take that paper that says that law on a piece of paper when you go to buy your car, so you have proof when they try to say "yes we can"

I already printed it out, and it's in my main list of paperwork
Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I stopped by a Chrysler/Dodge dealership last Sunday to look at a couple of Challenger R/Ts and some Charger SRT8s. All of them were on the front row and every one of them had the window sticker laying in the front or back seat.
I guess they are ignorant of the law then... All the cars I have bought had the sticker on them when I purchased them, upon delivery the stickers were removed and placed in the folder with all the paperwork.

The only descrepency you may see when you do a build your own and the window sticker is if there has been a price change on the car you are looking at since the car was manufatured and delivered. they can charge you the difference in price but they have to add an aditional lable stating clearly whay the price has changed, BUT in no way should the origional sticker ever be altered. The MSRP and the destination charge is the same no matter where you live.
On the build your own the reason they ask for your zip code is 1. to provide you with local dealership locations, and 2. to assist you with and regional discounts that may be in effect.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
mdky2kss

Drives: 1978 Z28,1986 Iroc,2000 SS, 13 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to mdky2kss
Dealers can get a reprint of window stickers for vehicles that are on the lot usually. They have to order them through GM. It is usually for destroyed or ripped window stickers. Window stickers do have to be displayed in the windows. They should be displayed in the windows and not laying in the backseat. We aren't able to display a car unless we have the sticker in the window. I think it is a federal law.
mdky2kss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

I was just wanting to make sure they could not 'reprint' the sticker, and change any of the MSRP that we had agreed on....in any kind of way. It should be on the window of the car when it is delivered. That is when I want to be there, when it arrives on the truck, before they can get to it!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Some dealers who allow ANY vehicle to be test-driven (demos OR unplated) will remove the stickers from windows and place them in the car for SAFETY REASONS.

Try driving, or doing a "shoulder check", with a large piece of paper blocking your view...

As well, people can get in cars and buzz the windows up 'n down, and rip the originals...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote