Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
The audio sytem is already good enough as is. Personally, I wouldnt spend any money on it
That may be the best advice I've received on this site. I just may go that path after I have a chance to check out the system. I hope that is the case and I can spend that money on performance enhancements.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #16
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
I'm not sure what other's are doing with there Camaro's but I'm going with 2 pairs of shallow mount subwoofers on the walls in the trunk area. Shallow mount subs can mount with less than 4" of depth and can be installed into places most wouldnt even imagine.

With my design, I can drop the back seat while sitting in the driver seat looking back and still see the rear of the trunk.

But that's only if your craming for trunk capacity like me. I go camping 10 to 15 times a year so trunk space is everything when you want to shove a tent/coolers/gear in there.

Shaun
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your not getting anything larger than a golf bag into the trunk of a 2010 Camaro. The access is worse than that on any other car I have driven. The 95-09 Mustang's make this thing look huge! (When talking about the Accessibility only) Volume of the trunk is VERY NICE, but the access is crap. If you want to load the trunk from the back seat area, it may be better, but I haven't gotten that crazy with it yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Two JL subs....one on either side so the seat will still fold down. This is how I'm doing it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #18
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I had a full Focal system installed in my wife's car for Christmas and I am very happy with it. Perfectly clean, chrisp sound without getting retarded with the cost. Their subs have come a very long way.

If you are going all out for sound quality, personally, I like MB Quart or Focal speakers for midrange and tweeters and a sub that will provide the correct amount of bass for your taste and exsisting mids/tweets. Nothing sounds worse than a JL 13w7 getting pushed by a 1000 watt amp and garbage mids/tweets with an underpowereed amp trying to keep up.

Just my $.02
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Two JL subs....one on either side so the seat will still fold down. This is how I'm doing it.
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Do you do any kind of fiberglass work? I've been meaning to get my hands dirty and try it out, but I keep putting it off. These cars would seem like a prime opportunity to get into it, especially to fit something in to those two spots and be able to utilize as much enclosure volume as possible...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
MTron

If your going to do the work yourself, i would say stay away from fiberglass unless u have prior experience. Stick with MDF and a couple of 10" subs on either side and you will have an awesome sounding system.

Just to toss out some info, i dont think that putting the subs in the corners is going to make having a ported box very feasible. Unless you spend a lot of time calculating the box volume and shape to have a port tuned for the right freequency, a sealed enclosure is defiantly a better bet. So for people looking for some great sounding bass, with excelent sound reproduction a couple sealed enclosures in the sides should work great....if you are of the persuasion of having massive boomy bass that you can hear from a block away, ur path lies elsewhere, likely with a big ported box

remember its the enclosure that makes the sub!

p.s i HATE ppl with massive ported boxes with bass u can hear from a block away....lol....stupid ricers
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Well, if I were going to build a pair of fiberglass boxes to fit behind the wheels, they would be sealed boxes. Fiberglass isn't too difficult to work with, so long as you have the right equipment and have a gameplan. Plus, fiberglass is a lot easier to blend into the contours of the vehicle, whereas a simple MDF box kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Either way, I'll need to take a look at the car first and see what my options are
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #23
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
my subwoofer options. suggestions?

im doing research to have a sub installed for next week.
im still not sure of the following....

1x 10" type r alpine w/ alpine M500 amp approx 675$can

vs

1x 12" type r alpine w/ apine m1000 amp approx 950$can

vs

JBL 360 Watts Mono Subwoofer Amplifier (GTO3501) approx 650$can
1x JBL 10" Subwoofer (GTO1014D)

prices include box 100$, wiring 100$, and installation 50-100$

im aiming for a complete the sound with low frequencies and not power.
im thinking the 10" alpine so far...
any suggestions?

the thin pioneer look interesting. do they stand up to these setups?
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #24
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBeast15 View Post
it really depends on your budget... but the top brands right now are
re audio
fi audio
AA audio

Memphis
diamond
Pioneer(for now untill they close down)
Eclipse.
Dc audio
Digital Designs
Rockford Fosgate
Sundown
*highlighted are known for record spl levels
Hell ya man I have 2 RE SX 12's sitting at home waiting, and a 1500wrms Memphis mono amp... bumpin lol
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
MTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstphoenix View Post

im doing research to have a sub installed for next week.
im still not sure of the following....

1x 10" type r alpine w/ alpine M500 amp approx 675$can

vs

1x 12" type r alpine w/ apine m1000 amp approx 950$can

vs

JBL 360 Watts Mono Subwoofer Amplifier (GTO3501) approx 650$can
1x JBL 10" Subwoofer (GTO1014D)

prices include box 100$, wiring 100$, and installation 50-100$

im aiming for a complete the sound with low frequencies and not power.
im thinking the 10" alpine so far...
any suggestions?

the thin pioneer look interesting. do they stand up to these setups?
If you're looking for great sound quality in the sub, there are a few factors you want to look at in the amp and sub

Amp
Signal to noise ratio - higher the better
Damping factor - higher the better
RMS power, again higher the better

personally i would trade higher SnR ratio and damping factor over higher rms levels

Sub
Sensitivity - higher is better, but makes it easy to over power the sub
Power handling - self explanitory
Linear excursion - more=better
Magnet size and materials....nice stiff subs produce the best sound

personally, i am quite partial to JL audio stuff, their W7 series subwoofer's are just awe inspiring, and their amps are awesome too...tho they can be a bit expensive
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
how will the amp connect? does the radio have lineout for the subs or will we need to tap into the speakers for the high levels?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
MTron

we shall have to wait and see until someone digs into the back of their 'maro to find out, as for now it is only speculation and rumors that the car has a factory sub hookup back there
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
one 15" Atomic Apocalypse sub for the low end..slot ported of course, left over from my mazda 626 install. Only had 3 speakers(w/ sub), 1000w rms total..amazing sound.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote