Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Air National Guard?

Hey any guard bums in here? I'm getting ready to enlist to be a C130 Load Master in a few months. Anyone else here aircrew?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Hey any guard bums in here? I'm getting ready to enlist to be a C130 Load Master in a few months. Anyone else here aircrew?
AGR in upstate NY, (3P0) great program. Expect the downsize in active duty forces to hit guard and reservist hard. Spots will be taken quickly.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Tim_Hamilton

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, '14 Silverado
I'm AGR Army National Guard, I aimed higher!! JK, respect all services!
Tim_Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I can't speak for the National Guard, but as a member of the Navy I can speak very highly of aircrew.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I can't speak for the National Guard, but as a member of the Navy I can speak very highly of aircrew.
I'm former Navy as well. 98-08. HSL-46 in Mayport Florida from 98-03, and HS-10 in San Diego from 03-08. Separated as an AM1.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Prior navy here, and I'm going Army national guard. I'm going AGR also
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
Prior navy here, and I'm going Army national guard. I'm going AGR also
Awesome, what did you do in the Navy? What job are you going to be doing in the ANG?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Prior active Navy, 6 years.
Traditional air guard then AGR now.
Was 3PO(security forces) now 1C3(command post)

Don't be an entitlement minded selfish prick like many aircrew are. In Guam I swear we saw the biggest cry babies...
Aircrew would come in and bitch about staying downtown at the Marriot and demand that we change them to the Hilton. I told a C130 loadmaster if he didn't like it that he was welcome to stay on base in aircrew quarters which shut him up. He had his Captain come in and try the same thing, I told the Captain the same thing. I also told him he was about 45 minutes away from going into crew rest and that he had accommodations, transportation and we were done. If he wanted to bust his crew rest I had no problem writing an MFR into my log saying that it was him who delayed the mission due to him busting crew rest so he could upgrade his hotel. I'm sure that PACOM would be very understanding of his situation when they have to reschedule everything so he could upgrade. I'm serious, there are some babies out there. There are also some of the best people you will ever meet in those career fields. Decide which one you want to be.

EDIT: just saw you were prior Navy at Mayport. I de-commed the Saratoga there. Love that area and am actually going back down there this summer with the family for a fishing trip for a week. I was a hole snipe, about as far from aircrew as you can get.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Prior active Navy, 6 years.
Traditional air guard then AGR now.
Was 3PO(security forces) now 1C3(command post)

Don't be an entitlement minded selfish prick like many aircrew are. In Guam I swear we saw the biggest cry babies...
Aircrew would come in and bitch about staying downtown at the Marriot and demand that we change them to the Hilton. I told a C130 loadmaster if he didn't like it that he was welcome to stay on base in aircrew quarters which shut him up. He had his Captain come in and try the same thing, I told the Captain the same thing. I also told him he was about 45 minutes away from going into crew rest and that he had accommodations, transportation and we were done. If he wanted to bust his crew rest I had no problem writing an MFR into my log saying that it was him who delayed the mission due to him busting crew rest so he could upgrade his hotel. I'm sure that PACOM would be very understanding of his situation when they have to reschedule everything so he could upgrade. I'm serious, there are some babies out there. There are also some of the best people you will ever meet in those career fields. Decide which one you want to be.

EDIT: just saw you were prior Navy at Mayport. I de-commed the Saratoga there. Love that area and am actually going back down there this summer with the family for a fishing trip for a week. I was a hole snipe, about as far from aircrew as you can get.
Haha, bro.....I've spent the last 5 years living in plywood B-huts and tents, sleeping on fold out cots with cut up foam for a mattress pad, Spending cold nights sleeping on a hard bench at the Kandahar pax terminal, and generally living my life in the worlds biggest mud infested shit hole FOB's. Eating nothing but MRE's and pop tarts at FOB Edinburgh for 4 months straight in 2011 was probably one of my fondest memories Lost our well pump at one point and were taking solar showers and washing our clothes in cut up 5 gallon cans. If I can swing the Hilton upgrade on a TDY, I'm DEFINITELY going to try for it! lol. But hey, if all I can get is the Marriot.....I'll take that too.

I spent quite a bit of time in Guam myself between 06-08. Don't miss that place!

I had a great time in Mayport, it was a fun place to be a young airman. Lot's of great memories there, and fun deployments. I deployed on DD-987 (Obannon, now decommissioned and sitting at the bottom of the sea off the coast of Florida), FFG-36 (Underwood, also decommissioned), and FFG-45 (Dewert, scheduled for decom next month).
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
monstertodd

Well, just wanted to update this thread.

I finally enlisted in the North Carolina Air National Guard on Wednesday of last week. I am now a SSG and hopefully will be leaving in September to go learn how to be a C130 Load Smasher. Ready for this huge change in my life and I cannot wait to put that green flight suit on and fly!