Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
My $32 home made catch can ... not simply a tin with fittings

Before you say "here we go ... another home made tin with pipe fittings and no baffles" ... check this out.

I pulled the throttle body off my Whipple to paint it on the weekend and found oil ... so time to fit a catch can.

I googled as much as I could and came to the conclusion that anything under $100-$150 was simply going to be a container with fittings.

I rang around all the local auto shops ... useless ... had no idea what I was talking about. No surprises there!

So seeings I wanted to fit one straight away, I decided to make a decent one myself.

So a trip to lowes and $32 later I came home with my shopping list.

2 1/2" PVC fittings: 2 x end caps, 2 x drain grates, 1 x joiner, 2 short lengths of pipe (approx 1" long each)

1 x chemical resistant scotch gray automotive scourer
2 x barbed & threaded chemical resistant nylon right angle hose fittings
Short length of fuel or vacuum line
1 x brass micro tap
short length of aluminum flat to make bracket + 2 small bolts with nuts
PVC joining compound
Thread seal compound
Oil resistant silicon sealant.

The following diagram should be explanatory ... make sure you use thread compound on the hose fittings and tap, PVC joint compound on the pipe and end caps, and silicon in and around the bracket bolts and also to join the fuel line onto the bottom of the inlet fitting.

Once everything has cured, sand, prime, paint, clear coat.

This took me a total of 3 hrs inducing fitting. I should point out that I EXTREMELY fussy ... and would never fit this to my car if it looked even remotely home made. I even took the time to file and sand the writing off the top of the end cap so it doesn't look like a PVC fitting.

I know the purists (and those selling the good units) will have something negative to say ... but I love doing things myself ... and I am really happy with result.

I should add that I am realistic and know that I'll need to blow it out with compressed air when I drain it to ensure the scotch pad does not get blocked and restrict air flow ... and I will eventually go for a CCA, Mike Norris or RX. But I was in a McGyver mood.

Last edited by simon.w; 04-26-2011 at 07:17 PM.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Looks good for that little amount of money. I wonder how much oil it has caught so far?

Any results? I'm not critiquing just curious
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
If you spent a ton of money on a blower and have your engine bay chromed out and painted, why not spend the 130 for a RX can that WORKS (not saying yours doesn't but we KNOW RX cans work though).

Either way it looks decent though!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Good lord nice work man!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
very nice job, looks great
Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
simon.w
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
If you spent a ton of money on a blower and have your engine bay chromed out and painted, why not spend the 130 for a RX can that WORKS (not saying yours doesn't but we KNOW RX cans work though).

Either way it looks decent though!
So I did everything in the engine bay myself too ... fitted the blower, headers, CAI, painted everything. This was simply an extension of that. I'll do two things in a month ... remove the throttle body again to check oil build up, and drain the can to see what it's caught. That should tell me whether it's working on not.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
simon.w
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
Looks good for that little amount of money. I wonder how much oil it has caught so far?

Any results? I'm not critiquing just curious
Only fitted it Sun night .. would have only done 10 miles since then.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
Before you say "here we go ... another home made tin with pipe fittings and no baffles" ... check this out.

I pulled the throttle body off my Whipple to paint it on the weekend and found oil ... so time to fit a catch can.

I googled as much as I could and came to the conclusion that anything under $100-$150 was simply going to be a container with fittings.

I rang around all the local auto shops ... useless ... had no idea what I was talking about. No surprises there!

So seeings I wanted to fit one straight away, I decided to make a decent one myself.

So a trip to lowes and $32 later I came home with my shopping list.

2 1/2" PVC fittings: 2 x end caps, 2 x drain grates, 1 x joiner, 2 short lengths of pipe (approx 1" long each)

1 x chemical resistant scotch gray automotive scourer
2 x 3/16' barbed x 1/4" threaded chemical resistant nylon right angle hose fittings
1 x brass micro tap
short length of aluminum flat to make bracket + 2 small bolts with nuts
PVC joining compound
Thread seal compound
Oil resistant silicon sealant.

The following diagram should be explanatory ... make sure you use thread compound on the hose fittings and tap, PVC joint compound on the pipe and end caps, and silicon in and around the bracket bolts and also to join the fuel line onto the bottom of the inlet fitting.

Once everything has cured, sand, prime, paint, clear coat.

This took me a total of 3 hrs inducing fitting. I should point out that I EXTREMELY fussy ... and would never fit this to my car if it looked even remotely home made. I even took the time to file and sand the writing off the top of the end cap so it doesn't look like a PVC fitting.

I know the purists (and those selling the good units) will have something negative to say ... but I love doing things myself ... and I am really happy with result.

I should add that I am realistic and know that I'll need to blow it out with compressed air when I drain it to ensure the scotch pad does not get blocked and restrict air flow ... and I will eventually go for a CCA, Mike Norris or RX. But I was in a McGyver mood.
The Man is a Genius, Congrats, I love it.

I am really impressed by the Drawings.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
[QUOTE=JANNETTYRACING;3144975]
Quote:

Ted.

I am interested to see how well it works.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
simon.w
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=JANNETTYRACING;3144975]
Quote:

Ted.
Thanks so much Ted ... that means a lot coming from you!

I should have photographed it as I made it ... but I just wanted to get it finished ... so when it turned out so well I thought I'd Photoshop up a drawing for others to follow.

I'm sure there are others out there like me who would like to get the real deal eventually ... but in the mean time has the ability to make something themselves that is better than the coffee tins with fittings on eBay for the same price.

I don't know how long it will last ... and only time will tell how well it works ... but boy I had fun making it ... and I'm very proud of how it turned out.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
[QUOTE=simon.w;3145007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Thanks so much Ted ... that means a lot coming from you!

I should have photographed it as I made it ... but I just wanted to get it finished ... so when it turned out so well I thought I'd Photoshop up a drawing for others to follow.

I'm sure there are others out there like me who would like to get the real deal eventually ... but in the mean time has the ability to make something themselves that is better than the coffee tins with fittings on eBay for the same price.

I don't know how long it will last ... and only time will tell how well it works ... but boy I had fun making it ... and I'm very proud of how it turned out.
I have been fabricating my own tools and gadgets my whole Life So I can Really Appreciate what you did.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
This should work! The PVC will not cool like metal for the condesing effect but it looks good!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Tshepp
Show & Go

Drives: '10 Camaro 1SS LS3
DAMN!! That is so awesome, I really want to do this myself. I also understand that the catch is a useful mod, but just cant justify spending $150 on an aluminum can that costs MAYBE $5 to make...
Tshepp is offline   Reply With Quote