Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
New revisioin water bag installed today (pics showing differences)

I was given the privilege of watching the new water bag being installed today on my car. I totally appreciate my district manager and dealership (Doyle Chevrolet, Webster, NY) allowing me to do this. I guess I earned the right by waiting 22 days for this to happen! Below are some pics showing differences that I noticed and my thoughts about the new bag versus old. Enjoy.

I'm happy to have my car back in my possession again! The leaks are fixed. It was good to watch the field engineer in the car inspecting for leaks in the laser wash booth for a very long time with the interior components removed. I didn't verify it but I've managed to negotiate a new top mechanism and carpet so they will have to do it again anyhow. The new top will also improve the fit by the quarter glass (so I'm told). I'll post before and after pics of that too when that happens (probably at least a month from now).

I learned so much from this forum of what to look for, the least I could do is provide more info for people.

If you are offered a new water bag you really need to decide if you want it. As you will see below they have to disassemble a lot of the car to change it. Ask yourself how much you trust the technician assigned to your car to do it right. The field engineer said he has successfully repaired four vehicles without changing the bag out (adjusting fold position shown in one of the pictures below). They gouged my third brake light when removing it even though they were being extra careful. Of course, I have to point that out to my district manager to add that to the order!

If you want to see pics of my old top (built 4/26/2011) versus the new revision top (6/27/2012 release date) installed on my car, check out my thread here...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post5550196
Attached Images

Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes

Last edited by SSTOKED; 09-08-2012 at 04:22 PM.
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Great post! Looks like your car is 100% taken apart. I hope it goes back together OK
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
ZZTop-leSS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 - Rally Yellow
Awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the time to document and share the info.
ZZTop-leSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Glad to hear you have your car back! So you are going to keep this one then?

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinny View Post
Glad to hear you have your car back! So you are going to keep this one then?
I really would like to. I like having the 2011. I love the steering wheel. It's more bad ass like the car. The new ones look like all the other cars.

It will be going back in a month or so for the new top and new carpet. So after all that is done, I will assess the condition of the car and only time will tell how it performs.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:

Last edited by SSTOKED; 07-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincoin View Post
Great post! Looks like your car is 100% taken apart. I hope it goes back together OK
Oh yeah, here it is back in my garage all together! It's sitting on the new urethane floor too!
Attached Images

MODS:
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
Nice write-up.. This is good news from the GM R&D dept. Identify the issues, redesign the item. Lets hope thaey did the same for the vert mech..
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
cactuseater

Drives: .
Thanks for sharing bud. I thought it would look like this. I was told they found a guy that can replace my canvas "in like one day". LOL.....

Yeah. Now I know where all the interior damage came from, scratches, nicks, gouges in the plastic trim. And I can now see how my exterior trim keeps falling off. OMG.

Congrats on getting the right folks to do it right. For me it is becoming an uphill battle, literally. The higher up this goes - the more resistance I find.

More fuel for the fire.....we need to all keep networking to make sure Chevrolet is applying their warranty in a consistent manner. So far, they have not.

Something I shared in another post:

"It's information we share that educates us on these issues. Owners networking here strive to achieve a level of consistency regarding application of Chevrolet's warranty practices equally among all owners of this model. Identifying inconsistencies in this process is still an ongoing problem. The same issue is being "corrected" in a dozen plus different ways with different owners at different dealers in separate cities and states, some are working, others are not. Networking brings us together and places focus on a common goal."

Again congrats on getting that gorgeous car back in one piece..... considering what those pictures were like. Whew! KEep us posted on how the whole thing turns out.

Last edited by cactuseater; 07-03-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added info
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Thanks for sharing bud. I thought it would look like this. I was told they found a guy that can replace my canvas "in like one day". LOL.....

Yeah. Now I know where all the interior damage came from, scratches, nicks, gouges in the plastic trim. And I can now see how my exterior trim keeps falling off. OMG.

Congrats on getting the right folks to do it right. For me it is becoming an uphill battle, literally. The higher up this goes - the more resistance I find.

More fuel for the fire.....we need to all keep networking to make sure Chevrolet is applying their warranty in a consistent manner. So far, they have not.

Something I shared in another post:

"It's information we share that educates us on these issues. Owners networking here strive to achieve a level of consistency regarding application of Chevrolet's warranty practices equally among all owners of this model. Identifying inconsistencies in this process is still an ongoing problem. The same issue is being "corrected" in a dozen plus different ways with different owners at different dealers in separate cities and states, some are working, others are not. Networking brings us together and places focus on a common goal."

Again congrats on getting that gorgeous car back in one piece..... considering what those pictures were like. Whew! KEep us posted on how the whole thing turns out.
They worked on it steady from 11 am to 4 pm with a normal lunch squeezed in. They were not screwing around either...lots of work.

They did scratch the interior paint where you can't see it under the interior plastic panels. I'll have them touch that up when they do it a second time.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the inconsistent approach either. From my perspective it seems to depend on the mix of people involved. I feel for you 'cactuseater'. Hang in there!

MODS:
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
cactuseater

Drives: .
Copy that brother.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
sstoked,
thanks for posting.great pics
I am glad your car is back in one piece.
good luck!!!
knock on wood , since the water bag was replaced in mine.so far no leaks in back.time will tell I guess.My 5th bow seems to be holding together as well after the 5th bow replacement.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
sstoked,
thanks for posting.great pics
I am glad your car is back in one piece.
good luck!!!
knock on wood , since the water bag was replaced in mine.so far no leaks in back.time will tell I guess.My 5th bow seems to be holding together as well after the 5th bow replacement.
Oh yeah, they did my 5th bow too but that was like years ago within the 22 days it was there...LOL. It's amazing how much stress this toy has caused for me. I just couldn't let it go. Some people can, I couldn't. Now, I'm enjoying posting on this forum instead of doing it for research. You guys are great! What did people do without support networks like this?

MODS:
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
Oh yeah, they did my 5th bow too but that was like years ago within the 22 days it was there...LOL. It's amazing how much stress this toy has caused for me. I just couldn't let it go. Some people can, I couldn't. Now, I'm enjoying posting on this forum instead of doing it for research. You guys are great! What did people do without support networks like this?

Agreed.These forums have helped tremendously and a thank you to all!!!

I still believe that these repairs should only be attempted by dealers/shops with convertible top experience.I think anything else is trouble.
I wish GM Canada would have approved my requests through my dealer and could have had my roof repaired once and not twice.
I had asked that the water mangement bag be changed out at the same time my 5th bow was repaired.

so they(GM) approved the 5th bow repair which was done back in april,didn't approve of the water management bag at that time and 7-8 weeks later my vert was back at the dealer to deal with the leak in the back which was determined to be the water management bag had failed.

knock on wood, all seems ok for now but time will tell if the repairs will last.In the meantime,I put the top down every chance I get and am enjoying it...PERMAGRIN HAS RETURNED!!!
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote