Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Rear Visibility

Having sat in a couple of 5th gen Camaros, the one thing that really concerns me is the rear visibility. Seems like there's very little glass on this car and the C-pillar is massive and thick. When you shoulder check, all you see is the C-pillar, and those massive rear haunches. I almost got the feeling that one has to stick their head out the window to shoulder check. Sitting in the car is one thing, but I want to know what its like to actually be merging into traffic with this car with such limited rear visibility. Is this something you get used to? Also, what's it like to back into tight parking spots with this car? I'm used to driving small cars with great rear visibility, so I have a few concerns. Perhaps some current owners of the car can shed some light on this. Just wondering.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Just get a couple of these: http://www.autobahnmirror.com/
Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I feel the same way as the OP. It's my biggest concern with this car.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Sorry folks but GM's top priority was to make a real cool car. If you want a practical car with great views and no blind spots your buying the wrong car. The car has bruttle blind spots it sucks you gona have to get used to it.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
Having sat in a couple of 5th gen Camaros, the one thing that really concerns me is the rear visibility. Seems like there's very little glass on this car and the C-pillar is massive and thick. When you shoulder check, all you see is the C-pillar, and those massive rear haunches. I almost got the feeling that one has to stick their head out the window to shoulder check. Sitting in the car is one thing, but I want to know what its like to actually be merging into traffic with this car with such limited rear visibility. Is this something you get used to? Also, what's it like to back into tight parking spots with this car? I'm used to driving small cars with great rear visibility, so I have a few concerns. Perhaps some current owners of the car can shed some light on this. Just wondering.
Use your mirrors buddy

I never look out the rearview mirror to backout lol

And to change lanes...sit up on the seat...stop leaning like a cholo
Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
i've gotten use to the small window... and ive got the side mirrors adjusted to where ive got a pretty good view at whats at my side... only thing is.. i'll survey whats behind the car before I get into it...
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Sorry folks but GM's top priority was to make a real cool car. If you want a practical car with great views and no blind spots your buying the wrong car. The car has bruttle blind spots it sucks you gona have to get used to it.
+1
Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Just get a couple of these: http://www.autobahnmirror.com/
mmm, hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfriday2 View Post
i've gotten use to the small window... and ive got the side mirrors adjusted to where ive got a pretty good view at whats at my side... only thing is.. i'll survey whats behind the car before I get into it...
Yeah I was really shocked that backup sensors were not an option after sitting in this car. Hopefully it will be something we can add on later on like through GM performance parts or something.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Same as early 3rd gen's. It's no big deal. Read my old post on how to drive with blind spots (use search).

Any changes would effect the whole look so it was hashed over already by the engineers and designers.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Same as early 3rd gen's. It's no big deal. Read my old post on how to drive with blind spots (use search).

Any changes would effect the whole look so it was hashed over already by the engineers and designers.
Was this the old post about properly adjusting your mirrors to ensure a full field of vision?

If so, I tried that in my truck. Works fine if you are moving forward but is completely worthless when you are backing into a parking space or narrow spot. The side mirrors are angled out so far that you can't see your rear tire in relation to the lines for the parking spots.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
This has been in many threads. You just have to learn to use your mirrors and pay attention to your suroundings.

Yes the pillar is big, but set your mirrors right and you'll do fine.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
This was my big concern until I actually drove one. I'll need to spend some time perfecting backing into spaces, but, overall, I didn't have any visibility problems.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
mmm, hot...

Yeah I was really shocked that backup sensors were not an option after sitting in this car. Hopefully it will be something we can add on later on like through GM performance parts or something.
You may dislike those mirrors but I tried something similar in a truck I used to own (standard cab with solid rear canopy so talk about a blind spot). It was really strange to see a full car in that little mirror but not a damn thing in the regular mirror on my truck. I've been using the little convex spot mirrors on my current truck and those work well for quick checks before changing lanes.

As for the backup sensors, GM said last summer that they'd have them available later in the 2010 model year as an option. Not sure when that will happen but I'm sure you'll see them eventually.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
As for the backup sensors, GM said last summer that they'd have them available later in the 2010 model year as an option. Not sure when that will happen but I'm sure you'll see them eventually.
Screw the sensors. My plan is to install a wireless rear-view camera. Why have beeps when you can literally see what's behind you?

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote