Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
*6X9 aftermarket Signal Hookup Question (interesting question)*

I sure hope someone can solve this quickly for me.

So I have everything setup, the factory 6x9s and components in the doors swapped out with aftermarket. I have two after market amps, one for the subwoofers and one 4 channel for the 6x9s.

I steal the signal from tapping into the speakers wire coming off the stock amp in the trunk using a 4 channel sven. Now the big dilema IS..... Those 6x9s in the back, I know there are high and low signals seperately going to them as there are two speakers and you can clearly see four wires in the back going to each 6x9.

My question is, HOW do I get high and low range to my 6x9s?? Can I solder both the high and low channels to the sven rear left and right or would that damage the amp?? Has someone already done this? Does the amp has an auto shutoff to prevent damage if I attempt this?

I was told by someone awhile back that the sven doesnt act like a speaker and instead just steals a fraction of the signal for preout purposes.

Oh I hope someone can reply on this as I just got the highs hooked up right now and there isnt too much sound happening at the moment (from the 6x9s that is).

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
There is another thread here that gives the amp wiring legend. You'll want to look at that and steal the rear inputs before the factory amp. Then you'll get the full range signal to your amp.
Otherwise you're combining two crossed-over signals (and who knows if they overlap at all and what that does to the frequencies in your input signal to your amp), and you could be lowering impedence the factory amp sees and cause it to overheat.
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
sounds like the 6x9s are bi-amped, in which case you will need to tap out of the factory amp to determine a full range signal.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
There is another thread here that gives the amp wiring legend. You'll want to look at that and steal the rear inputs before the factory amp. Then you'll get the full range signal to your amp.
Otherwise you're combining two crossed-over signals (and who knows if they overlap at all and what that does to the frequencies in your input signal to your amp), and you could be lowering impedence the factory amp sees and cause it to overheat.
I was afraid of that :( The amount of wires that run to the AMP is insane. The bunch of wires is like an inch thick.

Shaun

ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
If you are bypassing the factory amp to power your speakers, you certianly don't want to be 'amping' the signal coming out of the factory amp. I think someone mentioned this. But what you need to do is tap into the input single before it gets to the factory amp. This will give you the lease amount of distortion and non crossed over signal. The rear signal from the HU is fullrange from what I understand. The factory amp spits the signal and crosses it over. Personally, I don't know why there are tweeters in back. This only ruins your soundstage. I don't think I would hook the tweeters back up if I were you. The wiring diagram is given to help you find the right wires to make it all work like you want.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

OMG, 500% more power!! I fixed my problem and no soldering was done! All I did was split the preout after the sven from the front left and right preouts which have med and low range and I plugged that signal into the back of my 4 channel amp using Y RCA adapters on both ends.

OMG, the volume is now there, the bass is now there and the subs are pounding soo strong, I cant even begin to tell everyone how much better they are now!

Shaun