Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
You used the wrong pads.
How are these the wrong pads? On the vendor website I bought them from they were listed to fit the 2010 camaro SS. The brake shop that installed them showed them too me and they looked similar to stock pads and fit. Several vendors on this site even list them for sale specifically for the 2010 SS so I'm not sure how you can say they are the wrong pads.

Just a few...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167571
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183775
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170020
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105975
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
How are these the wrong pads? On the vendor website I bought them from they were listed to fit the 2010 camaro SS. The brake shop that installed them showed them too me and they looked similar to stock pads and fit. Several vendors on this site even list them for sale specifically for the 2010 SS so I'm not sure how you can say they are the wrong pads.

Just a few...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167571
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183775
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170020
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105975
I bought the Ceramic pads. #HB453Z.585(Front), #HB194Z.570(rear)
Yellow box. They don't make any noise and hardly any dust.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #59
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I bought the Ceramic pads. #HB453Z.585(Front), #HB194Z.570(rear)
Yellow box. They don't make any noise and hardly any dust.
Like some said, it seems the pads are real hit and miss in terms of the noise. I think the only difference between the color of the box is just specs for performance and wear. They both fit and go for the camaro SS. Mine make virtually no dust, which I love, but the noise is just unbearable. Soon as my new rotors come in these pads are gone.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #60
Blkcamaro757

Drives: 2010 camaro RS SS 6speed
I went on tirerack.com and looked at the different pads. Its says the ceramic pads are not noisey. And the HPS pads break 20-40% better but dust and noise is bad. Then they had pads for track use only and the pads was blue.
Blkcamaro757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #61
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
The Hawk pads are so unpredicatable. I put the Peformance Ceramic on my 2010 Camaro SS. I did the proper bed in procedure with brand new rotors and they squeal so loud it sounds like a bus stopping. It is extremely embarrasing. I put them on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. They squealed as soon as I put them on but after the bed in procedure they haven't made a noise since. And seriously on the Camaro, the brake dust from the ceramics is worse than stock. I'm going back to GM pads. I won't have to live with as much dust and I won't have to do multiple bed in procedures to get them to stop sounding like a bus stopping.
Thats exactly what it sounds like Gene!!! A bus or a trash truck!! GM brakes only for me from here on out. Total waste of money. They even feel like they are grinding now, and i have a lot of pad left! Quick question guys, I already had my rotors resurfaced once.... Could they stand another resurfacing, or should I just buy new ones?
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #62
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I put on the pads a few months ago and just now started to hear the squeal, but not enough for me to do something about or annoy me...yet.

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #63
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver ice SS View Post
Thats exactly what it sounds like Gene!!! A bus or a trash truck!! GM brakes only for me from here on out. Total waste of money. They even feel like they are grinding now, and i have a lot of pad left! Quick question guys, I already had my rotors resurfaced once.... Could they stand another resurfacing, or should I just buy new ones?
If you resurfaced them then I would just scuff them up with sandpaper, creating a new surface, and then I would put the new pads on and bed them and you'll be fine.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #64
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
If you resurfaced them then I would just scuff them up with sandpaper, creating a new surface, and then I would put the new pads on and bed them and you'll be fine.
Thanks
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #65
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I have hawk ceramics installed. I'm going to solve the squealing problem by upgrading to CTS-V brakes and rotors.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #66
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
I am also a victim of the bus squeal. I have the Hawk Ceramic Pads that came in the yellow box. followed the bedding procedure to a 2. light stops sounds like a bus stopping. resurfaced the front rotors and went away. she came back after awhile. I bought new drilled and slotted rotors and again did the bedding procedure. I am still getting squeal. Maybe I didn't sand the pad good enough. who knows. I also might be come back to my stock pads I took off.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #67
cactuseater

Drives: .
Just got wife's the 2011 SS Convertible back today, was in for about 6 hours. New brake lining and rotors all 4 corners, and a new Brembo calipers in front. Passenger side was hanging just enough to cause problems. Sweet. Thanks to Chapman Chevy in Tempe, AZ for the excellent service. 12K on the ODO, bought as GM Certified at 11K. Tons of mostly cosmetic warranty issues with the car, sales obviously dropped the ball on this one and never sent it through the shop for "certification" in the physical sense, but looked good on paper. Anyhow, these guys in service, especially Jeff (Svc Mgr), went totally out of their way to get this thing done right.

Here's a hint from the guys down there - if you have the loud squeal up front, it will NOT turn out when you turn the rotors. It will get worse. They need to be replaced. Although these are some beefy rotors on this car, once they warp out or get too hot from aggressive driving, be prepared to replace them. Seems the prior owner (rental fleet) had screwed the rotors. Anyhow, it's got a 7 year bumper to bumper on it and it's GM Certified, so I bought it at a fraction of what it would run new. Really happy with the car! It's my wife's everyday driver, I have the 2SS/RS Coupe Manual.

Next is the top issue, but awaiting GM's final FIX on the mechanism to have it done right the first time rather than go through what everyone else with the same issues has been through as read on the forums. Stock top is fine except for the rub marks an a small hole, noted quite well on a "We Owe" slip for the fix.

Best Regards......
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #68
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT URSS View Post
I am also a victim of the bus squeal. I have the Hawk Ceramic Pads that came in the yellow box. followed the bedding procedure to a 2. light stops sounds like a bus stopping. resurfaced the front rotors and went away. she came back after awhile. I bought new drilled and slotted rotors and again did the bedding procedure. I am still getting squeal. Maybe I didn't sand the pad good enough. who knows. I also might be come back to my stock pads I took off.
I am told the ceramics are way to hot for the stock rotors (which are very thick to begin with) on this car. They retain way too much heat, and you can experience brake fade quickly. I agree, don't like ceramics anyway IMO. Info from a Corvette driver at the Bondurant Racing School, a Chevy mech, and an aircraft mechanic that fixed my Airbus the other day. All said the same thing, not for this car, stick with the semi-metallics....and if you must grab a set of Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads - very beefy and exceptional for the 5th Gen stock rotors. The only thing I run non-metallic pads on is my Z06 Corvette, but that came stock with some pretty special directional rotors.

Last edited by cactuseater; 02-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #69
imcamccoy

Drives: SS1
Perhaps the shop installed the pad spring upside down? This would result in a grinding sound when the rotor is turned.
imcamccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #70
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I hate brake dust, but I hate my hawk ceramics even more. I cant wait til I go back to stock...This is was an epic fail...stay away from hawks. They should pay me for pain and suffering.

OH I forgot to mention, the bedding process does nothing. The squeal returns. And also I have 2 piece slotted rotors all 4 corners. It helped at first then the squeals came back like piglets in heat. I hate the ceramics...period
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote