Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Anyone with a tune have warranty work yet?

With some questions about a tune voiding warranty lately I'm curious if anyone that has had a tune on their Camaro has had any warranty work done. If so, did the tune cause any warranty questions?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
I tuned my 2002 camaro. when i took it in for work all they told me was when they hooked up the scanners it would clear the tune not void the warrenty
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
well my warranty is up now anyway but i had a tune on my 05 SSS since 06 and they never discovered it or voided any warranty work.

I did buy a blank pcm for tuning purposes and everytime i would bring it in, i swapped it out with the stock one.
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
The new ECMs can tell how many times they've been flashed and can lead to the dealer investigating it further. The people that say they are keeping a spare ECM around haven't thought through what I'd call a "catastrophic" failure. In this scenario of powertrain failure, it will be really hard to just throw the new ECM in and get believable data into it before you take it to the dealer.

These days, a powertrain failure WILL get a regional rep involved and they will care whether you have "tuned" your car. Its a new GM and they pay quite a bit more attention to big warranty payouts.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
The new ECMs can tell how many times they've been flashed and can lead to the dealer investigating it further. The people that say they are keeping a spare ECM around haven't thought through what I'd call a "catastrophic" failure. In this scenario of powertrain failure, it will be really hard to just throw the new ECM in and get believable data into it before you take it to the dealer.

These days, a powertrain failure WILL get a regional rep involved and they will care whether you have "tuned" your car. Its a new GM and they pay quite a bit more attention to big warranty payouts.
Thanks for a very clear answer on this, I am a total newbie to doing anything to a stock engine/drivetrain, but as I was reading all of the posts on tuning it sounded like an inexpensive way to get better performance from even an engine with all stock parts (no changes). After your post it does not sound worth the warranty risk unless I plan to add after-market parts.

That leads me to one question, if I get GM certified performance parts that would require a change in the tuning config, would GM do the tune and keep the warranty intact? (I would be looking at GM to install also)

Sorry in advance for the newbie question in this section but this seems to be the section where the experts are...
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
fyi.................

Quote:
Identifying Aftermarket Non-GM Calibrations
By Blog Admin on February 1, 2009 7:17 PM | No Comments

For more details, refer to bulletins 08-06-04-033 (Gasoline Engines) and 08-06-04-006A (Diesel Engines).

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non GM - aftermarket engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components, whenever the presence of a non-GM / aftermarket calibration is confirmed -- even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that are essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally; non-GM-issued aftermarket engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM-issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and / or penalties.

GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 outline procedures to identify the presence of non-GM / aftermarket calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In February 2009, PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM calibration is GM-issued. Beginning in February, PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in the bulletin, before authorizing any V8 engine replacement (both Gas and Diesel). (fig. 19)

If a non-GM calibration is detected by the dealership, follow the procedures outlined in the bulletin. Once documentation of the non-GM calibration has been received, and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and noted in VISS, and the dealership will receive the following notification:

Based on information that has been received, please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, due to the presence of non-GM calibrations and / or equipment. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and / or equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses. Repairs to powertrain or driveline components that may currently require repair should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. The warranty group has been advised of this information and VISS will be updated accordingly.

- Thanks to Jay Dankovich
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
And I will tell you this guys. Jay is the man. I know I worked with him on #230.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
It doesn't say they check anything to see if it was previously tuned and then set back to factory standards...
Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Tune at your own risk--
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoTToN View Post
well my warranty is up now anyway but i had a tune on my 05 SSS since 06 and they never discovered it or voided any warranty work.

I did buy a blank pcm for tuning purposes and everytime i would bring it in, i swapped it out with the stock one.
They must not have had at the time or just not looked at the odometer match from the IP to the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildClay View Post
Thanks for a very clear answer on this, I am a total newbie to doing anything to a stock engine/drivetrain, but as I was reading all of the posts on tuning it sounded like an inexpensive way to get better performance from even an engine with all stock parts (no changes). After your post it does not sound worth the warranty risk unless I plan to add after-market parts.

That leads me to one question, if I get GM certified performance parts that would require a change in the tuning config, would GM do the tune and keep the warranty intact? (I would be looking at GM to install also)

Sorry in advance for the newbie question in this section but this seems to be the section where the experts are...
Ask away. Someone will allways be glad to help.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
So if you dyno tune an l99 and get 15hp from it...gm is saying the motor isnt tested with that extra stress of still making less hp than a stock ls3? B.S. Maybe a tranny tune, but tunning a stock motor professionally will never hurt it and GM would have a hard time proving that a proper a/f ratio caused a motor to gernade.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
They really don't have anything to prove except that the computer has been programed for performance enhancement.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
I took my 2010 ss in because my keyfob was not working. They ordered me a new one. I have a tune and a cai and a ported tb.

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Imfishintx

Drives: 07 Tahoe LTZ
If you are worried about voiding a warranty, DON"T do anything to it, plain and simple!! Just know if something breaks after you make modifications GM may or may not warranty the broken parts. If you choose to modify anything just assume that portion of your warranty will be voided.
Imfishintx is offline   Reply With Quote