Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
Turbo or supercharger?

Not that ill be getting either any time soon but one day I will. So I was just wondering what would you rather get and what's the reason for your choice

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
For an SS? a supercharger.

Come to think of it I'd say a supercharger for a v6 as well. Overall they just seem to be better off for the Camaro. I'm sure there are some good turbos though.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Gtkilrss

Drives: 2016 SS
This is a topic that has so many personal preferences.. Lol.
I for one hate top mount superchargers due to the fast they hear soak so bad
I have a vortech ysi trim on the way which for most people is a little more extreme than they want! But I'm building big
Turbo is a good choice due to more power can be made and easy driving you can almost stay out of boost. But you got lag with a turbo also.

This is a question asked a million times and you'll never get a consensus of which ones better lol
Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
The questions you need to ask yourself are:

What are your ultimate goals for your car? Street car? Drag racing? Track car? How much money do you have to spend? Are you planning on beefing up the rest of the car? Do you have another daily driver?

Another is where do you want the power to start? The following are generalities):

A top mount positive displacement will have power off idle but won't carry it all the way out.

A centri will make more power as the rpms go higher. A properly set up centri will NOT have a lack of low end. That doesn't mean it will act like a top mount blower but they will make enough power to smoke the tires.

Turbo boost can come on early but will not be as instant as off idle like a top mount.

Once you can answer those questions, you can figure out what type of supercharger you want?

My suggestion is read as much as you can on each one and find cars in your area that have each type and take rides in them. You can't really feel the power from the driver's seat like you can from the passenger seat. Make your choice off real life experience. Find some dyno charts of the various types and see "where" you want your power.

I went from stock to 825rwhp with a Ysi then to 1026rwhp with the same Ysi. I am now changing from the Ysi to a twin turbo set up. I don't expect much more peak power with my current engine but with the turbos, the power will come on earlier in the powerband and make the car at least feel faster, if not make it truly faster.

Like Gtkilrss said, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers it seems. You have to to figure out which one is best for you. I am a gun nut and love Glocks. People often ask me what they should get. I tell them to go to a local range that rents gun and take them for test drives to see which fits them best.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
The questions you need to ask yourself are:

What are your ultimate goals for your car? Street car? Drag racing? Track car? How much money do you have to spend? Are you planning on beefing up the rest of the car? Do you have another daily driver?

Another is where do you want the power to start? The following are generalities):

A top mount positive displacement will have power off idle but won't carry it all the way out.

A centri will make more power as the rpms go higher. A properly set up centri will NOT have a lack of low end. That doesn't mean it will act like a top mount blower but they will make enough power to smoke the tires.

Turbo boost can come on early but will not be as instant as off idle like a top mount.

Once you can answer those questions, you can figure out what type of supercharger you want?

My suggestion is read as much as you can on each one and find cars in your area that have each type and take rides in them. You can't really feel the power from the driver's seat like you can from the passenger seat. Make your choice off real life experience. Find some dyno charts of the various types and see "where" you want your power.

I went from stock to 825rwhp with a Ysi then to 1026rwhp with the same Ysi. I am now changing from the Ysi to a twin turbo set up. I don't expect much more peak power with my current engine but with the turbos, the power will come on earlier in the powerband and make the car at least feel faster, if not make it truly faster.

Like Gtkilrss said, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers it seems. You have to to figure out which one is best for you. I am a gun nut and love Glocks. People often ask me what they should get. I tell them to go to a local range that rents gun and take them for test drives to see which fits them best.
Well said.. to add to this, shop around for a builder if you don't plan on doing the work yourself....

This is a really critical point... Ask everyone you can other than the shops themselves... Google the shops and the tuners and read... A builder you can and do trust is a blessing...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
How does cam affect it.

Can't you pick a cam that will help either the top mount, centrifugal or turbo to help boost power where the Forced Induction unit is the weakest?

Just asking.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote