Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Performance Enthusiast

Drives: Domestic
Oil pressure gauge at idle fluctuates

I have noticed recently that the oil pressure gauge in the console on my ZL1 fluctuates probably +/-3 psi at idle with a warm engine (M6 in neutral). At idle the needle on the gauge will bounce around both sides of the 30 psi mark several times in one minute. Typically engine oil pressure warm/idle is rather steady so I assuming it is either the gauge or sending unit. It currently has less than 1k miles on it so it still has the factory oil in.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience with their ZL1 oil pressure gauge.
Performance Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance Enthusiast View Post
I have noticed recently that the oil pressure gauge in the console on my ZL1 fluctuates probably +/-3 psi at idle with a warm engine (M6 in neutral). At idle the needle on the gauge will bounce around both sides of the 30 psi mark several times in one minute. Typically engine oil pressure warm/idle is rather steady so I assuming it is either the gauge or sending unit. It currently has less than 1k miles on it so it still has the factory oil in.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience with their ZL1 oil pressure gauge.
...from my experience, it should remain stable without movement up or down the scale at idle like your observation. The readings are stable throughout operation. Hot or cold.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
BlackSun

Drives: 2013 ZL-1, 1967 Camaro
someone posted about an oil problem starving the motor. you may want to look into that

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319184

sold loves
2012 Z06
2010 GT500
2010 Mustang GT Vert
2007 Mustang GT Vert
BlackSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance Enthusiast View Post

Have you checked to see if the engine idle is fluctuating? That can cause the oil pressure type o fluctuate too.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Wildcut

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2013
I drove about 1600km and barely saw it move.
Wildcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Performance Enthusiast

Drives: Domestic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER View Post
Have you checked to see if the engine idle is fluctuating? That can cause the oil pressure type o fluctuate too.

Yes, engine rpm is steady at idle.
I think I would like to get my hands on a scan tool and read the real-time oil pressure values from the sensor for the ECM and compare it to the reading from console gauge when it is fluctuating. I have been doing some searching on this topic and I have found a couple postings stating that the oil pressure value from a scan tool can differ greatly from the console gauge reading.
I just don't know how accurate the oil pressure gauge on the console is.
Performance Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Better bring it in, I remember some post about oil pump failure.

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote