Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Revenant

Drives: '11 1SS LS3 and '90 240sx hatch.
Question How do you adjust the adjustable suspension kits?

Once the coilover/lowering springs/sways are on, how do you make adjustments?

Relating to eibach, Pedders or PFADT. I'm thinking of going with PFADT full kit.
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Pfadt coil overs utilize a knob located on the bottom for easy access. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 08-02-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Can't speak of others, but Pedders has a couple options for coilovers.

The Standard Xa Coilovers are 2 way adjustable, the fronts by a knob at the top, just open the hood and turn the knob, the rears are a knob on the inside of the upper mount, it's a bit harder to reach, but still not bad

The Supercar Xa design is a bit different because you can adjust the 2 settings separately. One setting is just like the standard Xa's, while the other is an added knob to the external canister that is mounted to the base of the damper.

To adjust height the Pedders Coilovers are very cool since you adjust the base mount where the Coilover bolts to the strut, instead of altering the lower spring seal and changing the height by changing the spring compression. Adjusting this is a bit more difficult, as you need to remove the wheels to adjust the height, but doesn't take long at all, and again, you don't change the compression on the spring, or the amount of travel that you have with the Xa Coilovers.

Here is a pic of a standard Front XA Coilover with some details (the Camaro version is not the one in the pic but they have the same features)
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Pfadt coil overs utilize a knob located on the bottom for easy access. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
On Pfadt coilovers the ride height is ajdusted with spanner wrenches to adjust the spring perches - you need to raise the car / remove wheels to take weight off the springs. Damper adjustments are on the bottom of each coilover - fronts are easily accessed and rears are tucked into the lower control arm so a bit of a challenge but doable - you do not have to take off the wheels for damper adjustments. Here's a link to the install/settings instructions - http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...stallation.pdf

On ride height I lowered the front 1.25" and the rear 1.0" for a slight forward leaning stance, for dampers they're set at "10" for "sporty street"
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
I assume you're referring to the ride height adjustment. This might help.

Perform this procedure at your own risk. I take no personal responsibility for any damage you may incur by following these instructions

Check, and make note, of your ride height before making any adjustments.

Jack up the rear of the vehicle and place on jack stands.

Remove the rear wheels.

Clean any dirt and debris off all the components using a shop towel.

Clean the dirt and debris from the threads and locking rings using a wire brush.

Blow away the loose debris with compressed air.

Take a beginning measurement between the two locking rings.

Loosen the lower locking ring.

Adjust the ride height using the upper locking ring to increase the height, or the upper spring seat to lower the height. This will turn the entire upper shock assembly into the lower shock mount

Place the lower locking ring back into the locking position (finger tight, not locked down) and verify your measurements.

Repeat until you achieve the desire ride height, then lock the lower locking ring into place.

Drive the vehicle before checking ride height measurements. Do not take your measurements immediately after lowering the vehicle off the jack stands.

Also, always get your alignment checked whenever making any suspension adjustments.

Last edited by Jaysin; 08-02-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
On Pfadt coilovers the ride height is ajdusted with spanner wrenches to adjust the spring perches - you need to raise the car / remove wheels to take weight off the springs. Damper adjustments are on the bottom of each coilover - fronts are easily accessed and rears are tucked into the lower control arm so a bit of a challenge but doable - you do not have to take off the wheels for damper adjustments. Here's a link to the install/settings instructions - http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...stallation.pdf

On ride height I lowered the front 1.25" and the rear 1.0" for a slight forward leaning stance, for dampers they're set at "10" for "sporty street"
Thanks for the assist, I wasn't thinking about ride height.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Revenant

Drives: '11 1SS LS3 and '90 240sx hatch.
Thanks guys, you guys are the ones that make this site so great.
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thanks for the assist, I wasn't thinking about ride height.
Always there for you...
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I assume you're referring to the ride height adjustment. This might help.

Perform this procedure at your own risk. I take no personal responsibility for any damage you may incur by following these instructions

Check, and make note, of your ride height before making any adjustments.

Jack up the rear of the vehicle and place on jack stands.

Remove the rear wheels.

Clean any dirt and debris off all the components using a shop towel.

Clean the dirt and debris from the threads and locking rings using a wire brush.

Blow away the loose debris with compressed air.

Take a beginning measurement between the two locking rings.

Loosen the lower locking ring.

Adjust the ride height using the upper locking ring to increase the height, or the upper spring seat to lower the height. This will turn the entire upper shock assembly into the lower shock mount

Place the lower locking ring back into the locking position (finger tight, not locked down) and verify your measurements.

Repeat until you achieve the desire ride height, then lock the lower locking ring into place.

Drive the vehicle before checking ride height measurements. Do not take your measurements immediately after lowering the vehicle off the jack stands.

Also, always get your alignment checked whenever making any suspension adjustments.
GREAT POST!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote