Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #393
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
I wonder if the LS3 will be replaced by the LT1, in fact they could replace both the LS3 and L99 with the LT1 engine. More horsepower and more torque along with better fuel economy would be a good combination.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #394
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I wonder if the LS3 will be replaced by the LT1, in fact they could replace both the LS3 and L99 with the LT1 engine. More horsepower and more torque along with better fuel economy would be a good combination.
Doing that would not be enough to make me switch, only an LS7 would do
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #395
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I wonder how much faster a stock LS7 would be compared to a stock LS3 in a straight line? There have been many that have put modified LS7's in their cars. Has anyone put in a crate LS7 and ran it? Just curious because with the weight of these cars I'm wondering how much of a difference you would feel?
I've considered this before, I would estimate 0-60 4.2, 1/4 12.2.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #396
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Have they figured out how to make AFM/DOD work with a manual transmission?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #397
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Have they figured out how to make AFM/DOD work with a manual transmission?
There has been some debate about this on some Corvette forums as the LT1 has AFM and also a manual transmission. Will there not be AFM on manual equiped cars, I guess we will know more officially next month on the 13th.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #398
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Funny how Scott hasn't chimed in yet. I say that's a good sign

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #399
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
One single thing that makes sense:

1) It is clear that the new LT1 direct-injection V8 and V6 engines will be going into the 2015 Camaros.

2) Therefore it makes perfect sense to offer the LS7 engine, and any other special engine they have (if they want) during 2014, since you can assume these engines are going to disappear from production cars.

3) AND this MAKE SENSE because now someone looking on the lot at a 2014 or 2015 Camaro can choose: Do I want the new (lighter weight) 2015, or a 2014 which has a special engine that won't ever been seen in a Camaro ever again?

4) I think many people will take the LS7 camaro to the point that it will run out.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #400
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
i would seriously consider the ls7 before the lsa.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #401
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
I don't know. I can see loss of value. I can see spending $45 grand on the Z/28 and then another -$3500? on the 1LE.

The ZL1 is supposed to practically be a dragster, and it doesn't seem to dragst as well as the GT500.
It's engineered to be a best all-around car, that excels on a road course more than anything...Be careful not to confuse it's purpose compared to that engine with wheels, the GT500.

I've got to say, I'm enjoying reading the response to this rumor/possibility. Haven't seen a thread like this since...oh, 2009!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #402
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's engineered to be a best all-around car, that excels on a road course more than anything...Be careful not to confuse it's purpose compared to that engine with wheels, the GT500.
That engine with wheels still laps quicker than the ZL1 on some tracks, even with it's archaic suspension and smaller contact patch

This might be just the thing I was looking for, and might be the reason I get rid of my GT. This is very exciting.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #403
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
That engine with wheels still laps quicker than the ZL1 on some tracks, even with it's archaic suspension and smaller contact patch
If you buy all the extras...and even then, once per session on some tracks hardly accounts for much.

But then...numbers don't even mean a ton if the driving experience is..."difficult". And that's where Chevy might once again, capitalize on their work with the 5th-gen.

IMO...the perfect place for an LS7 is in a 1LE-equipped 1SS. Only discussing performance for now...naming later. It's a fantastic way of adding nearly 80 more hp and torque, a higher, race-happy rev limit, without effecting the weight balance, and perfect driving dynamics of the 1LE!

Can't wait to see how the accurate/completed VIN card looks! Or better yet...this mystery Camaro with an LS7 in person!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #404
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
If you buy all the extras...and even then, once per session on some tracks hardly accounts for much.
On one track they had an issue with brakes, and that was just one publication. Coincidence that it was the only review with a pro behind the wheel that made that happen? Maybe, but I'd think the LSA would heat soak much sooner than the GT500's brakes would give up the ghost.

Quote:
But then...numbers don't even mean a ton if the driving experience is..."difficult". And that's where Chevy might once again, capitalize on their work with the 5th-gen.
It's funny how many people on this very forum put down the GT-R for being easy to drive, and yet put down the GT500 for being "difficult"

Quote:
IMO...the perfect place for an LS7 is in a 1LE-equipped 1SS. Only discussing performance for now...naming later. It's a fantastic way of adding nearly 80 more hp and torque, a higher, race-happy rev limit, without effecting the weight balance, and perfect driving dynamics of the 1LE!
You read my mind. I'm already looking at race seats so I can take the stockers out. One thing I never liked about the S197 platform is the lack of stiffness, and you can definitely feel it on the track. I'm also not a serious enough of a road racer to weld in triangular braces all over the place. I think with the stiffer Zeta chassis, combined with the LS7 along with the 1LE, especially if they price is sub 50k, it would be the new sports car bargain of the century. Looking at the fact the 1LE is already an amazing performer, with the additional RPM of the LS7 and the extra power it will be even better. It will make my secret love affair with the Boss officially over. Plus, I've been wanting to get back in a Z28 for 10 years now.

P.S. Your ZL1 looks amazing. I love that pic. The ZL1 and the new GT500 have officially made me stop modding my car. It's futile, because no matter what I do, I won't have the capabilities of the ZL1 around the track combined with the every day ride comfort, and I won't be able to make the power the GT500 makes, at least not reliably, and not for a cost efficent price.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #405
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
On one track they had an issue with brakes, and that was just one publication. Coincidence that it was the only review with a pro behind the wheel that made that happen? Maybe, but I'd think the LSA would heat soak much sooner than the GT500's brakes would give up the ghost.

It's funny how many people on this very forum put down the GT-R for being easy to drive, and yet put down the GT500 for being "difficult"
Because it is by all accounts I've read! And if you don't opt for the extra goodies, forgettaboutit!! I bought the ZL1 for many reasons, one of them was the ability to be a comfortable daily driver. I consider that to be an advantage to its credit.

And I've never seen a proven incidence of the ZL1 running out of steam due to heat soak. Since it's not a professionally competitive car - it's a street car - what matters is that it can maintain performance for a track day, right?...I can vouch...first-hand...that it can. Absolutely, positively.

But...this isn't a thread about the ZL1 :(...so if you'd like to continue this discussion...I'd be happy to in PMs.

Quote:
You read my mind. I'm already looking at race seats so I can take the stockers out. One thing I never liked about the S197 platform is the lack of stiffness, and you can definitely feel it on the track. I'm also not a serious enough of a road racer to weld in triangular braces all over the place. I think with the stiffer Zeta chassis, combined with the LS7 along with the 1LE, especially if they price is sub 50k, it would be the new sports car bargain of the century. Looking at the fact the 1LE is already an amazing performer, with the additional RPM of the LS7 and the extra power it will be even better. It will make my secret love affair with the Boss officially over. Plus, I've been wanting to get back in a Z28 for 10 years now.
The 1LE was a BLAST to drive around Gingerman...I can only imagine what it'd have been like with the LS7.

I don't have a good guess what price might be...a car like this...they could easily over-inflate the price just because they can. Or...they might not...but what's true is that the LS7 is more expensive than the LSA to build, and more than double the cost of the LS3. So this isn't going to be a cheap car...

Quote:
P.S. Your ZL1 looks amazing. I love that pic. The ZL1 and the new GT500 have officially made me stop modding my car. It's futile, because no matter what I do, I won't have the capabilities of the ZL1 around the track combined with the every day ride comfort, and I won't be able to make the power the GT500 makes, at least not reliably, and not for a cost efficent price.
But you can come close!

The key to modifying...is to build something that's right for YOU.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #406
70camaro
What would Waylon do?

Drives: orange 1970ss & yellow 2010ss
Can't wait to see a new z28!
70camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 camaro, 2014 camaro ls7, 2014 camaro z/28, 2014 camaro z28, 2014 chevrolet camaro, 2014 chevy camaro, 2014 chevy camaro ls7, bullshit, camaro ls7, camaro ls7 engine, camaro ls7 motor, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, fantasy, ls7 camaro, ls7 engine camaro, unicorn car, z28 camaro, z28fapfapfap