Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Camaro5 Store?

I think this site is absolutely great, but have a couple of quick questions for the mods/owners.

1.) Is there a future plan for a Camaro5 store?

A lot of other car enthusiast sites have online stores with special group buy pricing. It would be nice if we had one here, instead of just the group buy threads.

2.) Are there any plans for any "official" Camaro5 parts comparison tests?

A lot of times if a site has a store, participating vendors can be persuaded to provide demo parts to the site owners. I think it is absolutely great that so many aftermarket intakes and exhaust systems are already available for the Camaro. However, it would be nice to know which parts actually work well, and which ones loose horsepower. I think that several of the vendors on this site are good, but there are others I really doubt the HP claims they are making. There is nothing you can really do if you buy a part and it does not make the HP as advertised.

A couple of other boards I was on in the past would have parts shootouts. They would strap 1 car to a dyno, and test out 4 or 5 intake systems on the same car, resetting the computer between runs and eliminating as many variables as possible. The results were always very interesting. About 75% of the parts didn't meet the HP claims, and many LOST POWER. There is nothing worse than spending you hard earned money to loose power.

I had a friend that worked at a local tuner shop, and ran the dyno. (I won't say which one, because I still get a discount on parts! ) He showed me how easy it was to fake 10-20 HP from most mods. The shop would have customers come in and push for a certain brand of exhaust or intake they read about online, instead of taking the shop recommendation with items they already had experience with. So, the shop would take 3 stock dyno runs when the car first came in hot. Then they would take 3 runs after installation with the car cool. They would usually provide the worst stock run and the best after mod run to the customer for comparison. If they really needed to fudge the results, they would just mess with the dyno correction factor or calibration settings, or use several other methods to mess with the results.

I'm not saying that vendors here would do intentionally lie, but they may stretch the truth and the numbers.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
NitroSpeed
Mustangs suck!!

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS Manual
Awesome. We can make way more stuff on this site.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Yes a Camaro5 store is a great idea.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
bah....

My post was banished from the general forum to the site suggestions forum. It might as well be dead. Oh well......
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Thanks for the suggestions and compliment on the site.

1) There are no plans at this time for a parts store
2) We don't plan to run independent tests of parts, but will rely on our members for independent dynos of aftermarket parts. Any false claims will easily come to light once independent dynos are posted.

Again, thank you.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121 View Post
bah....

My post was banished from the general forum to the site suggestions forum. It might as well be dead. Oh well......
I moved it. Just seemed to fit better in this section
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121 View Post
bah....

Its a site related suggestion/question ... did you think we would leave it where it was? Anyway, although most members don't frequent this area too much, the staff does.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote