Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #155
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I'm sure you do. But, it's not only the Maggie that's winning the races. I would guess it's the overall design of the vehicle and the driver. Regardless, not hearing too much buzz about records by vehicles with Maggies, ProCharger must be doing something right. Dontcha' think?

Well, a maggied camaro has the fastest stock block pass on record...10.19. Out of the top 10 fastest Gen V's 3 out of the top 6 are Maggied cars:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ist/index.html
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #156
midgard

Drives: red jewel camaro
The LPE car isn't a Pro charger. I belive its still a maggie....so is Pauls....only 1 or 2 Prochargers vs like 10 fast maggies. Not sure where you are getting your info....good work Jamie.

Six maggies, one KB, 2 prochargers, and 1 vortech......in the "top" ten.

9.81@142.02
Livernois 2nd Place Car Camaro5 Fest
Original Build 13 psi/nittos.....10.44@134
3.6KB/3.5 pulley/Stock t/b..Best 9.967@142.01

SSJ3...is done....mid 9s?Rossler 6l80E Transmission
KB 3.6LC,17" Bogarts, Thanks to Hendrix 9", Thanks to Pfadt
original T/b and converter, 419ci stroker (NO LSX Block)
midgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #157
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Well, a maggied camaro has the fastest stock block pass on record...10.19. Out of the top 10 fastest Gen V's 3 out of the top 6 are Maggied cars:
I believe the LMR vehicle was the first to break the 9's, in early 2010 and would be interesting to see what the 9.50 LMR will do with some nitrous thrown into the mix to even things up like the Maggie does to make the 8.99. Keep in mind though the 2010 Camaro isn't the only vehicle on the race strip breaking records.
And, will be interesting to see over the next little while how the balance may shift as more people start using ProChargers, as they make more inroads into the market over time as more people start doing their research before they just throw on a maggie.
The fact is there are way more 2010's with Maggies than there are with ProChargers. Simply, because there are a lot of ol'skoolers (like myself) cruising around and moding the 2010 Camaro throwing on the ol'skool roots system.
Definately, Magnuson has been around a long time, and have a great product, they deserve their props for that, but that doesn't mean the new guys on the block aren't right there beside them.

Personally, I have no skin in the game besides choosing the system I believe, I will be more comfortable with on a "daily" basis, not just horsing around on the track getting a thrill for a few seconds. Regardless, most likely I'll never be able to get into any 10's never mind 9's, but deservingly it's obvious why LPE or LMR would want to have the fastest vehicle regardless of they SC's they're packaging with their staged Camaro systems. Both, vehicles are awesome that's for sure. Congrats to both team for sharing the top rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgard View Post
The LPE car isn't a Pro charger. I belive its still a maggie....so is Pauls....only 1 or 2 Prochargers vs like 10 fast maggies. Not sure where you are getting your info....good work Jamie.

Six maggies, one KB, 2 prochargers, and 1 vortech......in the "top" ten.
You just proved my point out of 6 Maggies vs 2 Prochargers the Procharger held 1st. place starting in Jan 2010, and until recently is in 2nd. place right behind a Maggie that used a nitrous system to beat the Procharger. So, just because there are more of one system on the circuit doesn't necessarily mean it's any worse or better than the other system, it just means there are more of them in the game and therefore more of them taking championships. Simple mathematics.

Last edited by calbert1999; 02-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #158
LadyRose
Account Suspended

Drives: Was a White SS - Now a Red Vert
To be honest, it is hard to follow the last page worth of comments. Agreeably, there are many ways to go fast. The reason so many run the Magnuson products is simple they had a huge head start. I mean the Camaro was really a carry over from the G8 and GTO which Magnuson also focussed on. Plus Magnuson had companies like LPE and Calloway doing homework.

The Magnuson blower is merely a TVS2300. They did not invent or engineer the blower they just did a great job making it look good under the hood. In due time you will see super fast Edelbrock cars because it seems like LPE is focussing on them now.

Turbos systems - single or twin - they have the potential of holding a few of the top 10 records. but speaking of records there are a million ways of "framing" the record. Stock this or moddd that.

While centrifugals may not be the fastest on the street in the first 60 feet - NEVER count them out. They can make 1000 hp in the blink of an eye and a TVS2300 can't.

Talk about adding Nitrous - you can do that to the vortech, magnuson or turbo kits too. Adding nitrous to a forced induction car is not really the optimal way. If you have a TVS2300 then you know you can not make 1000hp so you are "stuck" adding Nitrous.

In a pure drag race I think the Centrifugals have shown they are the way to go - no holds barred

On the street, max power and max driveability comes from Twin turbos with a nod to the Granatelli twins - I say this because they offer the most complete kit and everyone that has the system swears by it

If you want the best looking eye candy - shinny Magnusons are hard to beat

Just a newbies opinion
LadyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #159
LadyRose
Account Suspended

Drives: Was a White SS - Now a Red Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireonIce View Post
Ok so it has taken me about two hours to read through this whole thread! With that being said there is a wealth of information to be had and great arguments for either side. My only problem is that since I purchased my car almost a year ago, I have had my heart set on a twin turbo set up. Specifically the Granatelli or the Hellion... But the only problem is that through the research I have done you cannot use either of these systems with long tube headers. I hope that I am correct with this. I want to have a cam package, long tube headers and a twin turbo set up. Specifically Stainless Works long tubes to match my exhaust system. Through my research the only twin turbo that will work with this is the STS system. I am not sold on this system due to location and it doesn't appear to offer the same amount of horse power as the other two systems mentioned. With this being said is there a way or package that will allow me to run long tube headers with the Granatelli or Hellion? If not am I going to be stuck with the super charger with the direction I am wanting to go with my car??? Any imput for you guys would be greatly appreciated!
Why pigeon hole yourself to Long tube headers? Get rid of them and use the manifolds intended by Hellion and Granatelli. If you want Twins then do do it right.
LadyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #160
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRose View Post
To be honest, it is hard to follow the last page worth of comments. Agreeably, there are many ways to go fast. The reason so many run the Magnuson products is simple they had a huge head start. I mean the Camaro was really a carry over from the G8 and GTO which Magnuson also focussed on. Plus Magnuson had companies like LPE and Calloway doing homework.

The Magnuson blower is merely a TVS2300. They did not invent or engineer the blower they just did a great job making it look good under the hood. In due time you will see super fast Edelbrock cars because it seems like LPE is focussing on them now.

Turbos systems - single or twin - they have the potential of holding a few of the top 10 records. but speaking of records there are a million ways of "framing" the record. Stock this or moddd that.

While centrifugals may not be the fastest on the street in the first 60 feet - NEVER count them out. They can make 1000 hp in the blink of an eye and a TVS2300 can't.

Talk about adding Nitrous - you can do that to the vortech, magnuson or turbo kits too. Adding nitrous to a forced induction car is not really the optimal way. If you have a TVS2300 then you know you can not make 1000hp so you are "stuck" adding Nitrous.

In a pure drag race I think the Centrifugals have shown they are the way to go - no holds barred

On the street, max power and max driveability comes from Twin turbos with a nod to the Granatelli twins - I say this because they offer the most complete kit and everyone that has the system swears by it

If you want the best looking eye candy - shinny Magnusons are hard to beat

Just a newbies opinion
A welcoming different perspective, all really good points. One of the reasons I like the ProCharger as well is that you can get up to 30lbs. boost from the D-1SC quite easily, and that equates to straight up HP's. Next year I'm planning to forge the engine and stroke it to a 416 or 427 so the D-1SC will definately handle that upgrade quite nicely.

I was at the autoshow and saw ZR-1 with ProCharger and Camaro's with Magnuson, a matter of fact I saw alot of the 2010 Camaro's that I've seen on this thread, they had a whole floor dedicated to vintage and modern Camaro's and Firebirds. Didn't see any with centri's on them, but the Corvette with the ProCharger was sick. Your point taken, seems like maggies are popular with the Camaro because besides a power added it's definataly a niceer cleaner match. I also agree any serious racer who doesn't want to use another system (nitrous) to get extra power most likely goes with the ProCharger. They' hold "all" the serious racing records, in the 7's.

I originally, wanted the TVS2300 system for my vehicle but then when I did serious research I decided on the ProCharger for obvious reasons. Also, I want to do something different than everyone else.

Quote:
Why pigeon hole yourself to Long tube headers? Get rid of them and use the manifolds intended by Hellion and Granatelli. If you want Twins then do do it right.
Hell no. I could never get rid of my cool sounding, wicked black ceramic coated, air flowing (power gains), so damn cool headers, just to have turbos. When I can have a ProCharger instead.

Last edited by calbert1999; 02-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #161
XclusivEric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to XclusivEric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Let me start by saying, I am in this to speak freely and I don’t; want to come off as arguementive...with that said –

If you are towing, yes the what you ay is true, you can change the turbo configuration to be “more favorable” for towing however turbo or turbo(s) will make a sh-t pot of heat if you are towing a heavy load at sustained mid to high engine RPMs and that ain’t good. Plan on building a cast iron manifold from the head to the turbo. – I know the turbo is bitchen but it is what it will cost in reliability to the surrounding area that worries me. Like that guy in the other post that built a twin turbo kit and mounted the turbos basically right up against the valve covers.

Respectfully – you are wrong about the diesel manufacturers and why they use turbos. First of all even today many of the biggest and baddest diesel motor that come from Detroit Diesel and Volvo use compound forced induction – turbos over a roots. But more importantly the turbo on a diesel packages better and lives forever. Roots blowers won’t go 1 million plus miles like a turbo will and centrifugals and diesels are an oxy-moron.

Again while I am a huge fan of turbos and we do sell a complete line of turbo kits for the street and real world, it will be hard to beat a huge centrifugal on a gas motor and last time I checked Top fuel still ran blowers – regardless of how much power it takes to drive them the pay-back far and a way exceeds it in that application.

Lastly Pro Mod – Show me 1 turbo car that has been consistent, repeatable, reliable and so on. The fastest guys in Pro Mod with turbos are my friends and / or consult with my friends. I want nothing more than to see a turbo do well in Pro Mod but the blowers still rule – fa-getta-bout Nitrous

Hard to believe the turbo guy is now talking about blowers but hey the fact are the facts – Turbo makes more power lb for lb but that does not always mean they make the most power

Most Detroit desiels I've ever worked on are Turbo and Supercharged. But those also drive some big track vehicles also. So I guess there would be a reason behind the double whammy!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #162
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireonIce View Post
Ok so it has taken me about two hours to read through this whole thread!. My only problem is that since I purchased my car almost a year ago, I have had my heart set on a twin turbo set up. Specifically the Granatelli or the Hellion... But the only problem is that through the research I have done you cannot use either of these systems with long tube headers. I hope that I am correct with this. I want to have a cam package, long tube headers and a twin turbo set up. Specifically Stainless Works long tubes to match my exhaust system. Through my research the only twin turbo that will work with this is the STS system. I am not sold on this system due to location and it doesn't appear to offer the same amount of horse power as the other two systems mentioned. With this being said is there a way or package that will allow me to run long tube headers with the Granatelli or Hellion? If not am I going to be stuck with the super charger with the direction I am wanting to go with my car??? Any input for you guys would be greatly appreciated!
I am still puzzled as to why you would build an awesome car around the headers. The twin turbo set up is a great way to make Incredible power. YOU DON’T NEED long tube headers – it is not that you can’t have them. YOU DON’T NEED them. I sound like a broken record but long tubes are more hassle then they are worth – NO HATE MAIL PLEASE. Most Twin kits use a more compact exhaust manifold to keep turbos as close to the heads and off the ground as possible. Plus a lot of long tube headers hang lower than stock taking away ground clearance.

Quote:
All, I can say is this; If you want to have your tires spinning when the light turns green, and everyone else is gone ahead of you then get a roots, if you want really high HP gains and a even smooth stream of boost and power throughout the power band, get a centrifugal ......
In general I would agree with you 101% - But if you’re a person just looking for 600 crank HP and say 525 RWHP with an auto transmission - it is hard to beat the Maggie compared to a Centrifugal. If you have a manual trans and want more than 525rwhp – go Centrifugal and be happy. Or go Twin Turbo and have as much power at your disposal as possible with out ever having to change the blower pulley.

Quote:
With a ProCharger you won't need a meth kit, you won't need a light to tell you the meth is running out, you won't have to drill holes in your trunk for the meth tank, you won't have to run tubes from the trunk to the engine, you won't have to be concerned your meth pump is going to fry and leave you worrying about your engine detonating. ......
I am sue you know this but None of them need meth – it is just an added feature if you choose to add timing and about 75 more hp. I am in arrogance - Meth is a hassle to maintain but it is hard to argue with the end result and added safety of the system

Quote:
My installer built numerous Camaros' v8, M6's with the TVS2300, and meth (you'll need a meth kit for safety reasons), and barely make 570-580rwhp. @ 8 - 9psi. of boost, and knock sensors had to constantly adjust timing to compensate for the high temps (this can cause detonation). And then to see un-biased results of the centri system, they installed the older, smaller, ProCharger P-1SC-1 HO, and smaller air-to-air intercooler system on the same vehicle and got a whopping 640rwhp. @ 6psi. of boost (no meth required due to the air-to-air, intercooler), no knock sensors adjusting timing. This was done in the same environment, using same fans, same env. temps, same dyno. ......
Again I agree but 6lbs of boost on a stock 355 rwhp Camaro does not go to 640 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgard View Post
With 810 hp and the roots style Maggie.....I blew every car off the line....not sure why others have their tires spinning....the key is having a good tire, and a good tune.......Procharger vs Maggie or KB....its not even remotely close....its not the Procharger.
The Maggie will give up way before the Procharger will. If you have 810 rwhp with a TVS2300 you are on the edge and about out of blower. The Procharger is not even breathing heavy yet. – With that said and speaking from personal opinion, if I had to chose between a ProCharger or a Maggie for my street car, I still think the Maggie is a great package and I would do that. While I agree 100% the Procharger will eat it lunch lbs for lbs of boost. Plus the Maggie looks like it belongs there and the ProCharger looks like a belt driven top mounted turbo

Quote:
I'm sure you do. But, it's not only the Maggie that's winning the races. I would guess it's the overall design of the vehicle and the driver. Regardless, not hearing too much buzz about records by vehicles with Maggies, ProCharger must be doing something right. Dontcha' think?
A bad ass street car does not need to set records – to be bad ass – right. If anyone here has a real 650 to 750 RWHP - your car is bad and you should be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Well, a maggied Camaro has the fastest stock block pass on record...10.19. Out of the top 10 fastest Gen V's 3 out of the top 6 are Maggied cars:
I gotta think that will change over time. As more and more TT cars come out and more centrifugal blown cars are built, the Maggie will hold no records. Show me a Mustang street car that fits the rules in any class of drag racing that has a root type blower that sets records in that class. They ALL have Centrifugals and Turbos for a reason – and remember I still think the Maggie is the best package for a guy that just wants 650 and no turbos

Quote:
Why pigeon hole yourself to Long tube headers? Get rid of them and use the manifolds intended by Hellion and Granatelli. If you want Twins then do it right.
Smart Lady

Talking about LadyRose - Calbert1999 said:

Quote:
A welcoming different perspective, all really good points. One of the reasons I like the ProCharger as well is that you can get up to 30lbs. boost from the D-1SC quite easily, and that equates to straight up HP's. Next year I'm planning to forge the engine and stroke it to a 416 or 427 so the D-1SC will definitely handle that upgrade quite nicely.

Hell no. I could never get rid of my cool sounding, wicked black ceramic coated, air flowing (power gains), so damn cool headers, just to have turbos. When I can have a ProCharger instead.
30lbs of boost? If you need 30lbs of boost your motor is too small The Granatelli twin turbo set up will support 1300hp at 15psi as will the other guys - maybe not Hellion out of the box but I know they can offer upgraded turbos to get you there.
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #163
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red

For those that did not know or remember, I owned Paxton Superchargers for many years and created the Novi-2000. So I am a centrifugal guy to the core. When I say the Maggie is a good investment - that is saying a lot. not that i think my opinion is any better then the next guy but all due respect. I have lived forced induction for 40 years. We sell then all and I have tried to be as unbias as possible and still convey honest opinions -

Please see the link above for a walk down my memory road - this is a 25 year old video
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #164
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

@Granatalli; Good to read an un-biased honest, experienced opinion.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #165
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have an update on my build, as of last night I'm making 788 hp and 815 torque. Still tuning...

Relatively speaking, this car is huge in torque. 605 @ 2000 rpm, 770 @ 3500 and 815 @ 4500 rpm. I realize the cubic inches have something to do with it, but.... This TTI/Granatelli twin turbo kit is nothing short of awesome... We are making 2 psi at 1800 to 2000 rpm, and it peaks at just a smidge over 4000 rpm and this is 12 lbs of boost..... Some more tuning will be done today... Updates to follow....Torque right off the line... Comparable to many Maggie builds I've seen...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #166
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I have an update on my build, as of last night I'm making 788 hp and 815 torque. Still tuning...

Relatively speaking, this car is huge in torque. 605 @ 2000 rpm, 770 @ 3500 and 815 @ 4500 rpm. I realize the cubic inches have something to do with it, but.... This TTI/Granatelli twin turbo kit is nothing short of awesome... We are making 2 psi at 1800 to 2000 rpm, and it peaks at just a smidge over 4000 rpm and this is 12 lbs of boost..... Some more tuning will be done today... Updates to follow....Torque right off the line... Comparable to many Maggie builds I've seen...
OMG: Dude, that's awesome. I have a friend who's converting to a 416ci. this month with a Maggie. I can't wait to see his numbers. I'll be doing my Pro-Charger setup this month too.
I wish I could stroke the engine at the same time to get my 800hp's. but that will have to wait until next year.
Cheers dude, have fun, be safe 800hp. is a lot of power.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #167
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
OMG: Dude, that's awesome. I have a friend who's converting to a 416ci. this month with a Maggie. I can't wait to see his numbers. I'll be doing my Pro-Charger setup this month too.
I wish I could stroke the engine at the same time to get my 800hp's. but that will have to wait until next year.
Cheers dude, have fun, be safe 800hp. is a lot of power.
Thanks, It's trivial, but with the better air this morning, I netted 793 HP and 822 Tq...

Uhm, I'm happy, out of my mind happy with those numbers...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #168
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Thanks, It's trivial, but with the better air this morning, I netted 793 HP and 822 Tq...

Uhm, I'm happy, out of my mind happy with those numbers...
Awesome. You must be permagrining all day long. Question, how do you like the Act clutch, what made you go with act vs other brands like Ram or Monster?

Are you driving this car daily with the twin disk or using strictly for racing?