Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
CEE

Drives: '02 T/A; '13 2SS; '22 2SS
Scratches from Dealer Work

Picked our 2013 SS up from dealer (45 minutes drive to another city) on 08/25/2012 (3 days after it was promised) & have noticed scratches on the hood/trunk area from where they installed the white stripes (black exterior). Wife took the car back to them last week & showed them, & I was told today they have a guy that comes in once every 2 weeks (except when it rains) that will try to buff out the scratches.

It already looks like they put a buffer to it on the left side just above "camaro" where there is a perfect circle mark. And this evening wife noticed holes in the rear floorboard carpet like they stretched the carpet too tight.

Anyone else have the stripes dealer added, & if so any problems??? If it was a big deal I would rather they said something up front & just ordered an SS from the factory with the stripes. Ain't life grand!
CEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Had scratches on the drivers door of mine when I picked it up. But I did notice it when I went to pick it up. Don't know how hey it ther, but on the walk around with the sales guy, I pointed them out and aske "what are you going to be able to do about those"? He said no problem. Went in, called back to the body shop, set an appointment, and got them buffed out at no charge. I must say, I was surprised I got no hassle from them about it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
CEE

Drives: '02 T/A; '13 2SS; '22 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSSRS View Post
Had scratches on the drivers door of mine when I picked it up. But I did notice it when I went to pick it up. Don't know how hey it ther, but on the walk around with the sales guy, I pointed them out and aske "what are you going to be able to do about those"? He said no problem. Went in, called back to the body shop, set an appointment, and got them buffed out at no charge. I must say, I was surprised I got no hassle from them about it.
We looked ours over pretty good, but these are mainly visible when the light is at the right angle etc. I do know that black is going to show the marks we get, but right off the bat I would have thought they'd do a better job.
CEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Even on my factory installed (which really aren't "factory installed") stripes, my hood and deck lid were all scratched up from the idiot installer dragging the squeegy off the edge of the stripe and across the paint. My stripes also had flaws that looked like the squeegy was dug in too had in a few areas.

I fixed all the flaws myself, buffing out all the scratches with a PC buffer and Adams products. I then installed the new stripes myself. I put several strips of blue painters tape down along the edge of the stripe so my squeegy would not scratch the paint as it swept off the side of the stripe. You won't get that kind of attention to detail unless you do it yourself. Just my findings.

My next car, I'm just going to order it with no stripes and install them myself. I'm probably too picky, but I can find flaws in stripe installations by anyone but myself. My factory ordered '12 stripes were horrible, that shop the cars get driven to in Oshawa for stripe installation could use a bit more training in quality control. I could ship them a roll of blue tape and a note how to use a squeegy if that would help. Because they way they do it today, they obviously don't give a shit about scratching the paint up.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Sounds like your interactions with that dealer haven't gone well.

My suggestion if they're going to buff it out: Immediately take the car home and wash the area with Dawn to strip off any wax. That way you can see if they've just hidden the damage with wax, or have actually corrected the paint.

If it's anything less than perfect, I'd push to have that area of the car repainted and blended with the nearby panels. You didn't buy the car with the "pre-scratched" option...

Good luck!
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
One problem with buffing out stripe installation scratches is mucking up the stripe edge. Have them put blue painters tape along the stripe edge, about 1 mm over the edge of the stripe. Then don't run the buffer all the way up to that tape edge.

The tape will help protect the stripe edge. You don't really want the buffer hitting the tape either, as that will create a buffed in edge. But if the buffer touches the stripe... it's ruined. So it's best cover with blue tape to protect.... but the buffer also needs to know to stay away from the tape edge. It's only there just in case, and the occasional brush against the blue tape won't be a problem.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
After my car was purchased i took it in for a warrenty repair to another dealer that was closer to my house. I specifically told the guy not to wash the car becasue i dont like anyone else touching my car. Went to go pick it up 3 days later and low and behold it had been washed and the service manager comes out and was like "all nice and clean for you too!" I just did a quick once over to find 5-6 large scratches in the clear coat and swirls in 2 spots clearly from someone using a buffer and having no idea how to use one. I mentioned this to the service manager and he said it wasnt them. I gave up and just went home, never to go to that dealer again. Yes i should have said something but i felt it wasnt worth the headache.
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE View Post
Picked our 2013 SS up from dealer (45 minutes drive to another city) on 08/25/2012 (3 days after it was promised) & have noticed scratches on the hood/trunk area from where they installed the white stripes (black exterior). Wife took the car back to them last week & showed them, & I was told today they have a guy that comes in once every 2 weeks (except when it rains) that will try to buff out the scratches.

It already looks like they put a buffer to it on the left side just above "camaro" where there is a perfect circle mark. And this evening wife noticed holes in the rear floorboard carpet like they stretched the carpet too tight.

Anyone else have the stripes dealer added, & if so any problems??? If it was a big deal I would rather they said something up front & just ordered an SS from the factory with the stripes. Ain't life grand!
Congratulations on your new Camaro! It is disheartening to hear of the concerns you are experiencing. If you would like us to contact the dealership to see if there is anything out there available to you, please provide me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership in a PM.

I look forward to your reply.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Had a problem with scratches, took it to the dealer 5 days of it sitting and 4 arguments later they're going to fix it.
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote