Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Daytona675

Drives: Camaro
Dealership Ruined Entire Paint Brand New Camaro

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend.

He purchased a brand new Camaro from Leggat in Mississauga, it's only a few months old and has less than 2000km on the clock.

He noticed weird little bumps all over the car, turns out that they're dust underneath the clearcoat. There's over 30 marks, all over the car. As a professional detailer(paint correction) and someone who has dabled with paint I told him it was impossible to fix without a new paint job.

Leggat said they could fix it, no problem. Well, they burnt past the clear and the car needs a paint job. As someone who has a lot of experience with paint, I advised to refuse a paint job as new paint jobs (non-factory) are crap and theirs specifically are horrendous.

What are his options here?
Daytona675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
I don't get it. Non-factory paint jobs are crap?

So all the custom paint jobs and guys who do paint for a living aren't as good as the factory? Don't get me wrong, the factory paints of today are good. They aren't Harley Davidson factory good (those shits are somewhere around a 9 on the Rockwell scale) but they're good.

I don't know about his options but if the dealer legitimately screwed his paint up, I'd imagine they're obligated to fix it to OEM specs. Could he take it to another dealer through GM customer service?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Daytona675

Unless you're spending upwards to 7 grand, you're getting a mediocre paint job. Camaro factory paint is awesome, it may not look absolutely amazing but is extremely durable. I've worked on over a thousand cars and played around with just about every type of paint job you can name. Water based paints are junk, they're incredibly soft (easy to scratch, easy to swirl), are more susceptible to peeling, bubbling and rust. You think Harley paint is good or looks good? It definitely looks good, but on a durability scale it's a -10 out of 10. Every black Harley that I have ever seen is destroyed with scratches and swirl marks that detract from the finish. Doesn't matter how good your paint looks when it's riddled with swirls.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Daytona675

He's from St. Catharines and took it to Brian Cullen's, after they saw what they had to work with they refused service and told him to go back to Leggat. He actually has that in writing, I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to send customers away for warranty claims. Believe me though, it's never absolutely never a good idea to strip the factory paint on a brand new car.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The factory paint IS water-colors. I don't know why you think the paint is durable. That's why so many people opt for the clear bras. The factory Camaro paint is sh*t as far as durability when you compare it to the 4th gens.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Durable or not, I certainly would prefer my factory paint on a brand new car than some dealership respray. I'd tell them I want another car.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
MOST body shops are bumper swappers and paint the cars in the shop instead of in a booth. A GOOD body shop is hard to find. VERY hard.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Contact GM Customer Service and get direction from them that's what they're there for.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Daytona675

We've opened up a case with GM, once the weather clears up I'll be taking pictures, many pictures and posting them here.

Yes, I'm glad people were able to put things together, I was more so refering to a hack dealership body shop rather than a full on professional custom body shop that has passion in their work.

Finding said body shop is rare like most have said, and do you think GM would pay $5000-10000 for a paint job? Hell no, you're going to get a half assed spray that's maybe worth in the ballpark of $2500. There are significantly more advantages to factory paint, GM for the Camaro employs ultra hard clearcoat. It's fairly scratch resistant which is incredible for darker colors, one of the main disadvantages is that hard paint chips, where as soft paint rashes but soft paint scratches and swirls like cutting butter with a hot knife.

We're trying to get them to either give him a new car or give him his money back. Due to the extent of the damages, the entire car will need to be stripped down and painted.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
slededorilllia
slededorillia

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
lets see some pics of the damage........good luck with it, hopefully it works out for him
slededorilllia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Daytona675

This is 1/4 of the photos we've taken, metallic paint is VERY difficult to take photos of. We've got about 300 more photos to upload which show significantly more damage. Note that the scratches are not normal, they're actually 1200 grit sanding marks -- they're ridiculously deep.

http://postimg.org/gallery/16fhy7ql0/
Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona675 View Post
Unless you're spending upwards to 7 grand, you're getting a mediocre paint job. Camaro factory paint is awesome, it may not look absolutely amazing but is extremely durable. I've worked on over a thousand cars and played around with just about every type of paint job you can name. Water based paints are junk, they're incredibly soft (easy to scratch, easy to swirl), are more susceptible to peeling, bubbling and rust. You think Harley paint is good or looks good? It definitely looks good, but on a durability scale it's a -10 out of 10. Every black Harley that I have ever seen is destroyed with scratches and swirl marks that detract from the finish. Doesn't matter how good your paint looks when it's riddled with swirls.
I know every late 90's and early 2000's Harley I came in contact with doing tanks and fenders on about 10 years ago had paint I thought was made out of unobtanium (I'm not a P&B guy by any means but this was my assertion after messing around with things for a few years).

I get where you're coming from an applaud your efforts. For the sake of playing devil's advocate, you're obviously going to be biased towards the perfection side of painting and the factory jobs aren't quite there. I agree with your sentiment though and hope dude gets his ride replaced or at the least a paint job that exceeds what the factory does.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
TXsilvy

Drives: camaro
All the dealers use the same paint. It's the man behind the gun that makes the difference. A full repaint is probably going to show up on the car-fax
TXsilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
camarotodd

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I once had a black third gen Camaro that had a complete repaint under warranty by the dealer..
The car looked good after the paint job, in fact it looked as good or better than the factory job ..That is until I color sanded and buffed it. The car looked like a mirror after it was done, flatter and more reflective than any factory orange peel finish. The factory paint was super thin, but the repaint has much more clear coat build on it, allowing it to be color sanded and buffed.. I would never color sand a factory finish.
camarotodd is offline   Reply With Quote