Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Hawks

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2004 Frontier
I would keep the low vin and just have them paint it and through in some incentives. Someone else down the road will end up with your low Vin repainted like nothing was wrong.

Please go to this site to add your information to the site and spreadsheet...

http://camarotracking.com/

At the top is a blue ADD ORDER TO TRACKING DATABASE click on it and fill in the blanks. Make sure spelling and case is correct. Thats it and you will be added.
Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
carls241

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 View Post
My car arrived on the 16 of june # 1504 I went and drove it and sighned all the paperwork. I left it there so they could install the gfx the next day. The car was still dirty from shipping when I test drove it so I couldnt tell any thing was wrong. Well the dealer called me and said there was defects in the paint and If was there car they wouldnt want it. It looks like little indentions in the paint and it is rusting already in those spots and is on most sections of the car. The GM rep is going to inspect it some times this week and tell me my options. I really want the low number car but I do not want a car that has been repainted. If they can reorder me one and put me at the top of the list where I will receive it in about a month I think I will wait. Any Ideas on what my options are and what I should do?

My dealer has repaired my car (Black 2SS) and I keep finding items. Look for my thread "Shes Damaged and review. I suggest you re-order and wait. Contrary to popular belief, they do have ways of expediting a replacement.

It will never be the same as a factory paint job, and you are paying way too much for this car.

Just my 2 cents
carls241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
acid rain sucks.......
Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedwil View Post
GM or any manufacturer will not authorize a "outside shop" to do repairs. I have been in the biz for 30 years. Got out bcause of BS like this and insurance companies.
Good luck !!! They do have to fix it right.
I had a Ford Probe back in the 90's and it had a water leak. I took it in under warranty (2x) and the dealership could not find it and ended up replacing the carpet twice. They ended up calling in a company that specializes in finding water leaks. He found and fixed the leak that was the result of seam sealer not being applied in a particular area. Ford authorized the repair.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
Shaggy
2010 Maro owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Truck
Keep the car and have it repainted. I can always replace the paint, but never the low vin number. Besides, if you get it repainted, it will be in your hands alot faster then waiting for another order. Alos think that your order will be a vin in the range of #15000 +. Stick with the low vin.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Not worth the low VIN, get the new car.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Man, some of you guys think it is the end of the world with the paint. It's just paint! Have them have it repainted and enjoy it. Hell, I'd have them do a custom color and graphics for your hassle.

If you were to have had this car 10 years, you'd probably have it painted anyway, no reduction in value and like others have mentioned already, this car has a low VIN that can't be replaced.

To be perfectly honest, I'd be all over this like pepperoni on pizza getting a custom paint job on their dime

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #22
the Mole
Retired but not done!

Drives: '66 Impala '06 HHR '03 FJR1300
Back in '06 I bought a new Savana van. The day it was delivered to the dealer someone bounced a rock off the hood. So not only chipped it they also dented it. When I picked it up they told me they fixed it up right away. If they didn't tell me I would never have known. If it's done right it's just as good as factory.

My 2c

This is where I've ridden my bike.
the Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
buddylok

Drives: -
My local GM Dealer is also having a hard time with the Black paints on their Camaro.
They see scratches, bumps etc...
One customer bought a Black SS a week ago and it is not leaving the shop for another week or so...
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
72Zmaggie98Z

Drives: 1972Z, 2010 RS/SS CGM & Orange
I would keep the low vin it that is important to you. If you get involved in a frnder bender accident what are you going to do? Get a whole new car? You get it repaired and repainted, I don't see the difference. I would not hold my breath on getting any custom paint job or anything additional. Good luck!
72Zmaggie98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Here is a good one... not a Camaro but...

I bought a brand new 2007 black Corvette in March 2007. Took delivery on a rainy night b/c was too excited to wait till the next day and have them detail it. I took it home, put it in the garage and washed it myself only to find the ENTIRE car covered in overspray. Not a little bit, a ton of it. All body panels, windows, lights, everywhere. I called the dealer the next day. No one could figure out how it got there. They looked at it and offered me a paint protector... WHAT? I said no thanks, I want what is on there off, not more crap piled on top of it. When you rubbed your hand on it, it felt like sand paper. They offered me to take it to a professional of my choice to have it removed so i took it to a shop I heard was "preofessional" and expressed my concerns about scratches, swirls and burnt corners from the buffer. They said they would clay bar it then buff and wax it. I got the "We just clayed and buffed a new Z06 in black so you have nothing to worry about"... blah blah blah.

I am still fighting with the swirls and they didn't scratch it too bad and they only burnt off a little bit of paint. All in all it looks really good when cleaned up, I spent 8 hours on it this weekend but it is not as it should be IMO. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have returned it and got a new one. It is not a low VIN.

I am done with black... for good.

As for the OP and my change, return it. Will a low VIN really mean anything? Youre 1500 cars in, not 3.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
I would keep the Low Vin# car and have the body shop repaint it and throw in some painted rally stripes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I bought a 08 saturn vue and I sh** you not I had it back within the first year 15x. Sometimes for the same issue,sometimes to correct the problem they caused by trying to repair it. :
Wouldn't that have fallen under the lemon law that states if you need the same repair 3 times they need to replace the product at no cost to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack2010 View Post
I would tell them that if the car is going to be repainted at their expense that you want to pick a custom paint shop to do it right. :
If the repaint has to be done by GM shop, maybe get some metal flake thrown in as well as painted stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
There is no way it's rusting unless someone scraped up the metal. It's galvanized.

And isn't the hood aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Keep the car and have it repainted. I can always replace the paint, but never the low vin number. Besides, if you get it repainted, it will be in your hands alot faster then waiting for another order. Alos think that your order will be a vin in the range of #15000 +. Stick with the low vin.
Much closer to 24,000 than 15K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Zmaggie98Z View Post
I would keep the low vin it that is important to you. If you get involved in a frnder bender accident what are you going to do? Get a whole new car? You get it repaired and repainted, I don't see the difference. I would not hold my breath on getting any custom paint job or anything additional. Good luck!
Get it painted by a GM shop. Get them to warranty the work.

30 years from now if low VIN 5th gens are worth money, it won't make any difference. Have you ever watched Meacum auto auctions? Many restored and repainted cars still go for insane $$$. I would keep the low VIN.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #27
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Those drips can be caused by brake fluid leaking from the car above it on the carrier. I would pass on it since paint damage like that can take a year or more to show. I don't think the VIN is that big of a deal, though. But you have to decide what is more important to you.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #28
Arod

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
MY CAR IS BLACK AND HAS RAIL DUST DAMAGE ON IT AS WELL LET YOUR DEALER KNOW AND THEY WILL FIX IT!