Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
Help with Ohio speeding ticket

I live in Michigan and know all to well to slow down at the Ohio, michgan line but the car has a mind of it's own... So i have the cruise set to a good speed for the traffic (81) on the ohio turnpick and as I come around the corner what do I see but the cops, I hit the breaks but by this time he has already got me with his radar. He wrote me the ticket for the full amount 84 (not sure how we got that fast) in a 65. I called a lawyer in the Erie county Ohio area and he tells me that he can get it down to a non moving violation for the amount of 750 plus what ever the fine is, money back garantee, I have never had to deal with the Ohio cops or courts, here in michigan it's not hard to get the points taken away if you ask and have a commercial dl, which I have ... What do I do? Pay the guy or go at it myself I could careless about the fine it's the 2 points in Ohio but 4 points in Michigan that I care about
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Its out of state, not sure the points will transfer. I got a ticket in SC and the didn't, I live in Ohio and I don't think the cops are that bad... Plus you were speeding. Good rule in Ohio is 10 over you are safe... Not gospel, but a good rule of thumb. I set my cruise at 75 on the interstate and have no problems, except sometimes I can get out of the way fast enough for people going 84 from Michigan!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Your cruise control has a margin of error. If you set it at 81, then 84 is perfectly feasible on a downhill grade (no matter how slight). I'm afraid its time to pay the piper...pay the lawyer and take your chances or pay the fine and take the extra insurance cost. I agree with the other poster about speed...in Oklahoma, usually 9 and under over the limit on the highway will be safe. Your speed would get you hauled in by some jurisdictions...good thing you just got the ticket.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
I wasn't passing anyone, I had an ohio guy up my tail pipe, the cop said if he could have lazered him he too would have been pulled over.... I houfht well if you got me at 84 then the guy behind me was doing 84 too. I normaly set the cruise in the mid 70 too but I guess I just wasn't thinking
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SD FED View Post
I live in Michigan and know all to well to slow down at the Ohio, michgan line but the car has a mind of it's own... So i have the cruise set to a good speed for the traffic (81) on the ohio turnpick and as I come around the corner what do I see but the cops, I hit the breaks but by this time he has already got me with his radar. He wrote me the ticket for the full amount 84 (not sure how we got that fast) in a 65. I called a lawyer in the Erie county Ohio area and he tells me that he can get it down to a non moving violation for the amount of 750 plus what ever the fine is, money back garantee, I have never had to deal with the Ohio cops or courts, here in michigan it's not hard to get the points taken away if you ask and have a commercial dl, which I have ... What do I do? Pay the guy or go at it myself I could careless about the fine it's the 2 points in Ohio but 4 points in Michigan that I care about
Is your job or license in jeopardy for getting a ticket? What does your insurance stand to go up? We don't use points here in MN so how do they work? (Too many and you lose your license im assuming)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
You can fight it, but all that they would do it lower the fine a little.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
You might want to check if it is out of state. They give you a break here in KY.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Were the cops moving or sitting? The reason I ask is, here in Florida there is a law that the cop cars speedometers have to be checked every six months along with the radar to make sure they are accurate. The reasoning is because if the cops are moving they check their radar and their speedometer to monitor how fast you are going, or even if just sitting the radar should still prove to be accurate. But if either or both are grossly off then you may or may not be going as fast as they say. My husband checks the speedometers here in most florida cars and his friends do the radar. I am not sure what Ohio rules are but the Officers are supposed to have certificates of both tests in their vehicles at all times to show they are up to date and have to show them in court if you protest your ticket. Hope this helps, however if your were speeding that bad you need to pay the piper.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Is your job or license in jeopardy for getting a ticket? What does your insurance stand to go up? We don't use points here in MN so how do they work? (Too many and you lose your license im assuming)
In ohio..

the point value for speed is based on amount over the limit but most are 2.

6 points and you get a letter
12 points and you can take a class and get reduced back to 6
second time at 12 you lose your license for maybe 6 months...

something like that, you can look it up. I did before because I thought I had 6, I didn't, only 4. I have 4 for one more year then all 4 fall off. Got 2 tickets within a month of each other 2 years ago
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Why would you set the cruise control so high? Set it to no more than 4mph over the speed limit and you'll be safe.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Why would you set the cruise control so high? Set it to no more than 4mph over the speed limit and you'll be safe.
you set it to 4 over in ohio and you will get passed by EVERYONE!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
coolman

out of state, pay the fine and been done. I live in pa and got two in ohio. never got any points, never raised my rates.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Ouch $750 plus the fine. Last ticket i had in Charlotte,NC i hired one the best lawyers in Charlotte for $300 or $350 and that was everything, he basically got it delayed 2 or 3 times then they throw it out.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
In ohio..

the point value for speed is based on amount over the limit but most are 2.

6 points and you get a letter
12 points and you can take a class and get reduced back to 6
second time at 12 you lose your license for maybe 6 months...

something like that, you can look it up. I did before because I thought I had 6, I didn't, only 4. I have 4 for one more year then all 4 fall off. Got 2 tickets within a month of each other 2 years ago
Thanks!

It's really strange how the different states work. Here if you get 4 tickets in a 12 month period or 5 tickets in 24 months you get suspended for 30 days. You also get revoked for 30 days for getting nailed at over 100mph,no matter what speed limit you are in.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote