Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Question about rack and pinion replacement

Hey Guys,

So I've had this odd noise for a long time whenever I turn the steering wheel. It's sort of a vinyl scraping kind of noise that sounds like its coming right from behind the steering wheel, or (as I've seen someone else on here describe) like a finger or fingernail scratching along a guitar string. Based on a lot of the other threads I've seen, people suggest it's probably the rack and pinion that need replacement. I was going to take to the dealer soon for warranty service, but seeing as I have no knowledge about this part of cars, I have a question about the work...

Does the dealership have to do anything inside the vehicle to replace these parts? I figure they'll be taking the wheels off and working around the front axle mostly, but I wasn't sure if they need to do anything inside the car with the steering column?

Just to clarify, I'm asking because I'm worried about the footwell lighting inside the car. I have a wire tap into the fuses on the left side of the steering wheel - with the wire running behind the steering column and tapped into the dome light, and a toggle switch installed under the wheel in the plastic panel that the led strip is attached to. The rest of the wires from there are hiding behind the plastic panel in the center column next to the shifter. I'm just worried if they have to do anything inside that they'll mess up the lights and/or wires somehow.

Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Looking through the repair steps from ALLDATAdiy.com (great resource by the way), replacing the steering gear should not require any work under the dash.

Just be glad you are getting this done under warranty. I just checked on the cost of doing this work while I was in for an oil change and was quoted $950'ish (Part was $556 MSRP + 3 hours labor + P/S fluid). You will need an alignment afterwards as well. I had this work done around 36k miles under warranty for the same sound and it's back now at 80k miles.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Yikes, didn't expect it to cost that much out of warranty!

Do you think an alignment should be included as part of this warranty work, or would they try to say that's a separate charge I'm responsible for? I'd assume it'd be included as it's necessary after changing these parts, but you never know what the dealership will try and pull.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Pistolgrppump

Drives: 2010 2ss/L99 Rally Yellow
I'd like to know what they find. I think I have this same problem. A weird noise from behind the steering wheel when I turn. Turning left is fine but turning right it sometimes kinda locks up

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Pistolgrppump is offline   Reply With Quote