Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Satellite view of a portion of Tehachapi... the loop is the track.

When my wife and I lived in Southern California we took a trip up to see "The Loop". We were lucky enough to catch a long freight on it. Very cool seeing it cross over itself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #72
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Satellite view of a portion of Tehachapi... the loop is the track.

We lived near a RR crossing, they came thru at 5am every morning. Dad always told mom, "Well, it's too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep, what you wanna do?"

I'm from a LARGE family

Haha... that's hilarious

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #73
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrail View Post
I also work for the railroad. Live in Kalamazoo,MI. and work out of Elkhart, Indiana. 16 years on the rail...Engineer since 99...My dream job, and helps afford all the Camaros!
Which railroad? Could very well be the same as me... (CN)

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #74
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
When my wife and I lived in Southern California we took a trip up to see "The Loop". We were lucky enough to catch a long freight on it. Very cool seeing it cross over itself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'll bet that was a sight to see... I always wanted to see the Horseshoe Curve.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #75
sam5828

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Well the best RR movie out there is unstoppable. It actually happened in the terminal I worked out of. Engine 8888. The engine has poems on the back wall which are pretty good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
sam5828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #76
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam5828 View Post
Well the best RR movie out there is unstoppable. It actually happened in the terminal I worked out of. Engine 8888. The engine has poems on the back wall which are pretty good.

Ah yes, crazy 8's. I assume you have the same "no pictures" policy that we do, or I'd ask you to post a pic of 'em.

Unstoppable is definitely a thrilling movie, but it sure lacks in realism in so many areas... but if you can take it at face value, it's a fun movie.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #77
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post
Ah yes, crazy 8's. I assume you have the same "no pictures" policy that we do, or I'd ask you to post a pic of 'em.
What's the no picture policy about and why?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #78
sam5828

Quote:

Unstoppable is definitely a thrilling movie, but it sure lacks in realism in so many areas... but if you can take it at face value, it's a fun movie.
Ya I have only been on the engine once. And never thought of taking a pic. I quit about 4 yrs ago. But ya no pics and no cellphones anymore. Can have them with ya just not on. I worked on the Toledo sub and also in Selkirk NY going to Boston and jersey. I know out west they have cell detectors along the tracks that alert dispatcher. And the weed weasels have ones too.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #79
sam5828

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident

Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #80
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'll bet that was a sight to see... I always wanted to see the Horseshoe Curve.
Actually living and working in the town where Horseshoe Curve is located, pretty neat to see a train on 3 sides of you when they are headed up or down the mountain. We had a steam excursion here a few months back where they took a trip up around Horseshoe Curve.

Check it out.... Link Hit HD when the video starts...much better.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #81
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
What is your favorite locomotive?

Mine is the Big Boy. They are reviving the one that is displayed near my house. I'm excited to see one running.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #82
sam5828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Mine is the Big Boy. They are reviving the one that is displayed near my house. I'm excited to see one running.
Mine was the one that had good AC in the summer and good heat in the winter and a crapper that didn't stink.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #83
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
What's the no picture policy about and why?
No electronic devices permitted while on duty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Ch...rain_collision

This started the movement. As it stands now if a railroader is caught by the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) with their phone on, the FRA can levy a $17,000 individual fine on that person. Kinda makes any speeding ticket seem like chump change... The only exception is a stand-alone camera for photographing safety issues / concerns.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #84
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Two part answer... as a rail fan, there are a lot of them that I like... my favorite is the C&O H8 2-6-6-6 Allegheny... the heaviest locomotive ever built, and, although only slightly smaller than the Big Boy, it was more powerful. Truly an impressive beast... I planned to get a tattoo of one in full steam on my bicep as the centerpiece of a half sleeve.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/allegheny/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-6-6-6

I also dig the Big Boy, the Pere Marquette 1225 Berkshire that I've been donating money and time to the restoration of, the GM Aerotrain, and things like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam5828 View Post
Mine was the one that had good AC in the summer and good heat in the winter and a crapper that didn't stink.

Second part of my answer is this. As a railroader, this is dead nuts accurate. One thing we have that most railroads don't is microwaves. Our Canadian counterparts have provisions in their contract that require all locomotives to be equipped with a hot plate, and a microwave... Union Pacific, BNSF, Norfolk Southern, CSX, etc... don't have that... and on a cold winter day, it's a game changer to have some hot soup... but railroaders are resourceful guys. Search for "Manifold Menus" on Google and you'll see what I mean... there are countless recipes for guys to cook by placing their food at various locations on the engine block / intake manifold, etc... but yeah, I love a WhisperCab locomotive with decent A/C, and one of our own CN units so I have a nukebox. I can deal with a stinky sh*tter because I worked for a sewer department for five years before I started doing this, but I'd much prefer not having to smell it anyway.