Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Why couldn't GM have tested the Z-28 without any of us knowing about it? You speak as if you know for sure, but unless you work for GM or have access to an insider that is revealing secret information, you are doing the same thing you accuse the magazine of doing. Which is saying something as fact when you don't have the information to back it up. There could be 1/2 dozen test Camaro's with LS9's in them and you would not necessarily know it. All of the differences in the rendering are body components that would not be needed for testing. Underlying changes in suspension or chassis components would not be visible and we would not know. I personally believe that if GM was considering a Z/28 for next year or even perhaps the year after, then some testing may have been done. If this is a media writer promoting a rumor, he should have given the design to the transformers crew, because this one looks a whole lot nicer.

On another note, I know for a fact I saw an article last year quoting a Chevrolet engineer responsible for the LS9 development that several cars were being planned to have some derivative of the LS9.

If the Z/28 does die because of the government's new mandates or the role they now play in shaping GM because of the money they loaned them, well I hate to say it but it will only be the first of many great ideas that may never be seen.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #30
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
With all of the insiders on this site and the rampant media not posting spy shots, I have to burst your bubble here. This car has neither been tested nor designed for production. You'd figure that one slip would have happened by now, or that GM would be testing this car on a track where photographers would have seen some times a little faster than the SS numbers. The truth is that this is a photo that has been edited based upon designs from Transformers 2. It is a media writer promoting a rumor.
While everyone bubbles are popping, the Z/28 has been done for a while. GM just can't do it right now.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof

^^^ Basically, that is what my LT / RS will look like when I'm done. Aftermarket ( Bumblebee ) Hood with Full length Stripes and a Blade ( Dove Tail ) Spoiler Gonna look Sweet!

GM... "If you build it .... We WILL BUY !"
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #32
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
If the Z looks like that, i'll take a SS, put V6 front bumper and send the car to Lingenfelter for the 550 hp package
Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof

Whether GM decides to build this or not is strickly up to them, however, you can rest assured that once these Camaros start popping off the line on March 16th, there will be plenty of aftermarket companies making custom hoods, bumpers and ground effects to allow us to design our own custom rides. Personally, I'm just happy that the Camaro is a "GO" again and will be proud to drive my LT / RS wherever I go! Isn't that what's really important here?
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #34
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
hood is beast. And spoiler
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
xfiremd

Drives: corvette
I think GM could keep the z28 under wraps, there was tons of speculation about the zr1, however GM keep is a secret for the most part.

As much as I would like the Z28 I think it makes sense for GM to hold off a bit, there will be enough excitement about the Camaro that they do not need z28 at the moment. If I am correct Ford waited a bit before bringing about the Shelby and KR.
xfiremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #36
thejbyrd

Drives: My wife nuts with my obsession
Glad i'm waiting to get mine........just in case.
thejbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #37
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I just want to reiterate a point that I haven't made in a long time. I love any performance Chevy, and for that matter any performance car. I would love to see a Z28, ZL1, or ZR1 Camaro make production. The concern I have is that a magazine article isn't the most reliable source in the world. Fbodfather has suggested that a Z28 would be a possibility, but GM would also need the funds to make it happen, and that requires people to be buying cars. It would be a travesty for cars like the Z28 to kill GM rather than revive it, so speculation about the possibility of a Z28 shouldn't be taken for granted. The idea is out there, and GM knows that a Z28 would be a popular Camaro. I just don't want everyone to get worked up over an article that isn't verifiable. If it does happen, then we can all celebrate when it does; however, if it doesn't happen, there will be a lot of angry enthusiasts if we let this get to us. Let's remain calm and just be grateful that what we have right now is pretty incredible.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #38
85_Grand_National

Drives: 1985 Grand National
It's hard to believe that a publication like Motor Trend says the Z/28 is basically done, when in fact it hasn't seen a day of track time, and there exists not one bit of data on what the LSA does inside the frame.

That is a massive, massive disconnect. In re-reading it, I see they qualify that with saying design is done. Somewhere, my guess is that a Camaro Zeta platform exists with an LSA mounted inside of it. It may not have wheels, or body panels - but it's getting ready.

So what is "done" is the design work. They know what they are GOING to do, they just have not started to do it.

If the Camaro/RS/SS is a flop in 2010, which is when the late 09 sales figures will start getting tallied, then the Z/28 is a no go. If the Camaro is a big hit, my guess is that the Z/28 will be a 2012 model, but almost impossible to get - hand signed from the factory, and will never see a dealer showroom, instead going right into the hands of collectors.

The article and that photoshop suggest that the rear fascia is NOT the duckbill spoiler from the Dale Jr. edition. It looks to be less angled, a smoother line up the back and down.

I would love to see more photoshops based on the actual drawings. I would really, really like to see what the new rear fascia looks like.
85_Grand_National is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #39
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
I want that........ in Lemons blue /white strips .
Dont know how much it will cost , not sure how Iam going to talk my wife in to me getting this car and dont know how to fit a baby seat in there .
But thats the one I want ...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #40
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I absolutely love the look. It annoys me that we won't see this because apparently everyone thinks the Z/28 has to be a supercharged beast. Why can't we take this styling, and add in a small DI GenV V8, weight reductions, suspension tweaks, Recaro seats, smaller, lighter wheels, and other track-oriented features. Maybe adjustable suspension or the dual mode exhaust from the Corvette? That would make a fantastic Z/28, but since so many people stubbornly believe in one-dimensional power, well never see it. So frustrating.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #41
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
I'd love to see that car with the exhaust coming out the side through the rocker panels.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
looks cool, looks like a typical Motor Trend rendition, if it's actually anything close to what the Z28 will look like.

Sadly with GM on the verge of going bankrupt the Z28 is looking to be the last car in GM's portfolio to make production...