Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #29
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I always have good luck with Sunoco, Exxon, Chevron, and Mobil, and awful luck with Shell, Hess, and BP. All of my vehicles seem like they have an "acquired taste" after filling up at a Chevron.

On topic, I understand that the book may say you can run 87, it has already been shown that running 91/93 gets the most out of the car. That's why you never see someone tuning for performance with 87. A few months ago there was a dyno sheet floating around from someone (I forget who) that I think had just an intake and a tune for 89 octane and picked up upwards of 20whp.

Anything above 87 octane is not needed. 91 or 93 will get the best performance. Those are both set in stone.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
tahoeacr

Drives: 69 camaro's,'14 1ls slvr 6m
103,000 miles Chevron 91 on my Evo. Sure the tune and boost, egt's ect. make a difference, but that is one clean piston. Photo from a cheepo harbor freight inspection camedra
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #31
Gen-X45

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
LOL, Sorry Dago...
Gen-X45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #32
Z28bryan

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
If the manual says 87 run 87. Some people may think running higher stuff is better let them waste their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z28bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28bryan View Post
If the manual says 87 run 87. Some people may think running higher stuff is better let them waste their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because there hasn't been any dyno testing or tuning to confirm that the LFX has low octane and high octane fuel maps, and you can't field test whether 87 vs 93 yields better fuel economy and performance.

No, none of that has been done...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #34
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Screen shot shows high and low octane spark table menu. Proof enough that the ecm looks at more than one table on fuel octane? The ecm is very flexible and with the correct sensors and hard parts it can control a multitude of platforms, from di, to na to fi.
Attached Images

Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #35
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I use my '14 2LS as a commuter/daily driver. I've only used 87 in it. It runs fine and there's plenty of punch when I need it. Like the other lone voices here, I've done some prior homework on the subject and while the car may adjust, I'm skeptical of any actual benefits using higher octane [modless]. In most other NA vehicles the car simply dumbs down the benefits and you end up with the same power/efficiency. While I'm new to this vehicle (~3,000 miles) I'm not new to the same types of arguments for/against the use of higher octane. It's all being replayed here for the unteenth time. Usually the conclusion is: "if it makes you feel better about driving your vehicle, then by all means buy 93."

The manual's mention of "87 and above" simply means that you can use higher octane without any negative consequences (or voiding your warranty), but that statement alone is not an implication there's any benefit to the vehicle's performance. It's like saying that "18 and older" means that the older you are the better cigarettes are for you.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I use my '14 2LS as a commuter/daily driver. I've only used 87 in it. It runs fine and there's plenty of punch when I need it. Like the other lone voices here, I've done some prior homework on the subject and while the car may adjust, I'm skeptical of any actual benefits using higher octane [modless]. In most other NA vehicles the car simply dumbs down the benefits and you end up with the same power/efficiency. While I'm new to this vehicle (~3,000 miles) I'm not new to the same types of arguments for/against the use of higher octane. It's all being replayed here for the unteenth time. Usually the conclusion is: "if it makes you feel better about driving your vehicle, then by all means buy 93."

The manual's mention of "87 and above" simply means that you can use higher octane without any negative consequences (or voiding your warranty), but that statement alone is not an implication there's any benefit to the vehicle's performance. It's like saying that "18 and older" means that the older you are the better cigarettes are for you.
First of all you admit to never running 93. My vehicle is tuned for 93....oh and performance, but it wasn't always. I have never heard of a performance tune for 87 octane. Sure you can putt around on 87 with less aggressive timing with the stock tune however there is more knock on 87 octane, even with the low octane timing table, and generally way more timing is pulled. I have logs that show this. By the way it says 87 and above because 87 is the MINIMUM octane rating recommended, not what's best. Below 87 is not recommended because it could damage the engine. A major benefit to running 93 octane is less spark knock/pre-detonation. the use of a fuel with high octane rating, which increases the combustion temperature of the fuel and reduces the proclivity to detonate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Just sayin.
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #37
DSX_Camaro

Beyond what Blackout has stated, the LFX has an 11.5:1 compression ratio. There's no reason not to use 93 octane, especially since the only reason the LFX can even run 87 octane is due to the knock retard.

Even further than that, the LFX cannot utilize the high octane fuel maps without a tune, so yeah, you won't realize the full benefits of 93 octane, but running it WILL give you better efficiency and power. That point cannot be argued - it has been proven time and time again. Here is a dyno graph of an 89 octane tune. Note the enormous midrange torque gains. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=10

Guys, we aren't here to argue with what you want to do. We are simply giving you facts - you do not have to agree with what we say or what we do, nor do you have to do it.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #38
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
... the LFX cannot utilize the high octane fuel maps without a tune, so yeah, you won't realize the full benefits of 93 octane, but running it WILL give you better efficiency and power.
That's a contradictory statement (?).

No one is arguing whether higher octane can achieve better performance with a tune/mod. From my understanding on how GM's ECUs work, running stock the vehicle won't see any gains.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #39
DSX_Camaro

Actually it isn't. If you run 87 and data log, you can see the computer pulling timing in all rev ranges, but if you run 93 it only pulls timing right when you nail the gas (so, for about a hundredth of a second). Again, more power, but not maximum power. I mean... a few decades ago, an 11.5:1 compression ratio would NEED high octane gas, but now we can survive on the cheap 87 only due to direct injection and the knock retard.

On the flip side, maybe I am wrong. Technically speaking, if the car is pulling timing on 87, then using 91 or 93 would only allow the engine to work at the max stock specs, which wouldn't be a gain of any kind, just an improvement.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Actually it isn't. If you run 87 and data log, you can see the computer pulling timing in all rev ranges, but if you run 93 it only pulls timing right when you nail the gas (so, for about a hundredth of a second). Again, more power, but not maximum power. I mean... a few decades ago, an 11.5:1 compression ratio would NEED high octane gas, but now we can survive on the cheap 87 only due to direct injection and the knock retard.

On the flip side, maybe I am wrong. Technically speaking, if the car is pulling timing on 87, then using 91 or 93 would only allow the engine to work at the max stock specs, which wouldn't be a gain of any kind, just an improvement.
Also using 93 it will allow the computer access to high octane charts, otherwise it would use the low octane charts.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #41
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14CV6 View Post
I have always used 93 octane from day one like others, I believe if you are going to throw performance mods on the vehicle and run the vehicle hard, it is better to have the higher octane.
+1
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #42
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
That's a contradictory statement (?).

No one is arguing whether higher octane can achieve better performance with a tune/mod. From my understanding on how GM's ECUs work, running stock the vehicle won't see any gains.
Think of less detonation as a gain.