Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
cornfield camaro
 
Drives: 2011 l99
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 283
How do the oil co's make 93 without ethanol?
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
driyac

 
driyac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Chester Ohio
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Ok, you said it twice. Why don't they apply to you? Please expound. Are you related to Ayatollah Khomeini and his cronies have 93 octane shipped to your house in several 55 gallon drums?
Because everyone uses 87 and in my context they speak about the lowest price. Well like I said that low price doesn't apply to us because we re using 93 which is 30-50 cents a gallon more. Therefore when they tell me, I just laugh because I don't even look anymore. Not that I am so rich that I don't care, which I am not, just that we don't pay the advertised price. Hope you get what I meant now. It was more of a joking thinking.
__________________
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #45
Oldag
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 361
Guys, I hate to tell you this, but the gas in the station's storage tanks may not be the "brand" you think.

Especially in smaller areas, where there may be only one pipeline serving a distribution center for several "brands". Even in bigger areas there may not be one pipeline for each brand.

The additives may be a little different. But Shell gas may well not have come from a Shell refinery. And often the generic stations are selling the name brand gas (they don't purchase enough gas to warrant their own additive blend), they just are not allowed to advertise the big name.

From a research news story:
"With the help of the Maryland State Comptroller, ABC News compared gas from a name-brand Mobil station and a generic Liberty station right across the street from each other. Mobil was charging $2.69 a gallon for regular, while Liberty charged $2.49 a gallon.

The comptroller's office collected samples of regular unleaded at each station. The inspector followed a strict protocol, flushing the line between samples and carefully labeling canisters.

At the Maryland Fuel Testing Laboratory, chemists conducted a battery of tests. First, they verified that gas was formulated correctly for the season. Then, they checked for contaminants, like excessive sediment or diesel, accidentally mixed with the gasoline.

They also ran the gas through an elaborate engine to make sure it got the 87 octane level people pay for. Both samples easily met state standards.

"By and large, it's one and the same. … You will find results will almost mirror each other," said Bob Crawford, who works at the lab. "There are going to be slight variations -- but gasoline is gasoline."

When gasoline arrives at regional distribution centers, it's all the same. Different gas station chains then buy the raw fuel and add their own blend of detergents. In the past, there might have been more of a difference between different brands of regular unleaded, but these days the EPA requires that all gas contain a minimum amount of detergent to keep car engines clean."
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #46
Oldag
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 361
OP, but the premium and take the extra engine performance for which you paid.

Can't find premium? You will not damage your engine with the lower octane.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #47
Rhyder


 
Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldag View Post
Guys, I hate to tell you this, but the gas in the station's storage tanks may not be the "brand" you think.

Especially in smaller areas, where there may be only one pipeline serving a distribution center for several "brands". Even in bigger areas there may not be one pipeline for each brand.

The additives may be a little different. But Shell gas may well not have come from a Shell refinery. And often the generic stations are selling the name brand gas (they don't purchase enough gas to warrant their own additive blend), they just are not allowed to advertise the big name.

From a research news story:
"With the help of the Maryland State Comptroller, ABC News compared gas from a name-brand Mobil station and a generic Liberty station right across the street from each other. Mobil was charging $2.69 a gallon for regular, while Liberty charged $2.49 a gallon.

The comptroller's office collected samples of regular unleaded at each station. The inspector followed a strict protocol, flushing the line between samples and carefully labeling canisters.

At the Maryland Fuel Testing Laboratory, chemists conducted a battery of tests. First, they verified that gas was formulated correctly for the season. Then, they checked for contaminants, like excessive sediment or diesel, accidentally mixed with the gasoline.

They also ran the gas through an elaborate engine to make sure it got the 87 octane level people pay for. Both samples easily met state standards.

"By and large, it's one and the same. … You will find results will almost mirror each other," said Bob Crawford, who works at the lab. "There are going to be slight variations -- but gasoline is gasoline."

When gasoline arrives at regional distribution centers, it's all the same. Different gas station chains then buy the raw fuel and add their own blend of detergents. In the past, there might have been more of a difference between different brands of regular unleaded, but these days the EPA requires that all gas contain a minimum amount of detergent to keep car engines clean."

it is the additives and the companies standards with equipment that makes it different.......its the ole, bottled water starts as tap water argument....your not buying the rough product, your buying the finished product.....

go here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

buy premium from one of the listed companies....


be happy.......dont worry
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #48
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man
 
ravensjeff's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eldersburg,MD
Posts: 2,198
OP- Some are also giving you a hard time because you bought a high performance car and want to use low performance gas. It doesn't make sense to most of us here to do that.

The car was specifically designed to be a high performance car, so if you wanted to go slower, you should of bought an Equinox (Or a V6). Alot of people bought the V6 specifically for gas savings while still owning a beautiful car and are quite happy with their purchase. Thats why Chevy made a V6 version.

My engine would detontate if I used low grade gas; I would assume the same with the ZL-1 since both are supercharged engines.
__________________
LSX 376-B15, TVS2300 SC, Harland Sharp Rockers with Trunion Bearing, ATI Balancer/keyed, AR Headers/Borla Catback Exhaust, DSS 1400 HP Axles, 3.70, Hotchkis Springs/Sway bars, Forgeline SO3P Aluminum Wheels (20x9.5 F/20x11 R)with Hidden Lightweight Titanium Hardware, Nitto NT05 Tires (27540ZR20 F/31535ZR20 R), Billet LPE brake/gas pedals, Escort 9500ci Radar Detector Laser Jammer, Roto Fab CAI with Ice Silver box, Carbon fiber tube/MAF Housing Assy, LPE Aluminum coil covers, SS9 Sleeper Fiber Glass Hood (ACS), Carbotech 1521 ceramic brake pads, Elite catch can.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #49
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield camaro View Post
How do the oil co's make 93 without ethanol?
Take 93 octane gas, and don't put any ethanol in it
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #50
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Because everyone uses 87 and in my context they speak about the lowest price. Well like I said that low price doesn't apply to us because we re using 93 which is 30-50 cents a gallon more. Therefore when they tell me, I just laugh because I don't even look anymore. Not that I am so rich that I don't care, which I am not, just that we don't pay the advertised price. Hope you get what I meant now. It was more of a joking thinking.
I understand your point exactly. When people talk about gas prices, I am almost ashamed that I do not know or care. I will always go to shell, I know where every one in the state is. Lol. Fill her up " super" here is my 60 bucks and see ya in 200 miles. Lol. Most of America finds this appalling. When people talk about gas prices I almost always find a way to switch the subject because of my point of view. Don't worry I'm not really ashamed but I do know that I am at odds with most people. I do have a jeep and that gets cheap gas from SHELL.
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #51
TastyBake

 
TastyBake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 895
It says that so you can use 87 for emergencies when you're on E and 91 or 93 is not available so you're not worried about the engine failing.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #52
driyac

 
driyac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Chester Ohio
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I understand your point exactly. When people talk about gas prices, I am almost ashamed that I do not know or care. I will always go to shell, I know where every one in the state is. Lol. Fill her up " super" here is my 60 bucks and see ya in 200 miles. Lol. Most of America finds this appalling. When people talk about gas prices I almost always find a way to switch the subject because of my point of view. Don't worry I'm not really ashamed but I do know that I am at odds with most people. I do have a jeep and that gets cheap gas from SHELL.
Lol Thank you!

But honestly, I go 1.5 weeks between fill ups. There are times when I look at the news paper and go holy shit the national average is up, where have i been?

Like i am a caveman crawling out from beneath a rock. I feel completely uninformed.
__________________
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #53
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon
 
greenrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,395


Someone has to say the obvius:

Maybe you should have bought a V-6, then you wouldn't have to worry about having "too much" performance from a V-8 running 93 Octane.These V-8's run much better on 93 octane fuel. My dealer, had put 87 Octane regular in my Rosie, and it felt a bit sluggish. Ran that out of the system, put in 93 Octane (and even though some say it diesn't help manual transmission cars), I did the fuse pull and my seat of the pants performacne evaluation, told me the car ran much better performancewise on 93 octane.

If the difference in price makes you cringe, then run 87 octance. But, no complaining about your car being a bit sliggish need be thrown out on the table later!
__________________
Member Illinois Camaro Club
His Name is Rosie - "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick!" - If you know who said that, then you know the genesis of his name.

Last edited by greenrail; 05-28-2013 at 04:14 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post


Someone has to say the obvius:

Maybe you should have bought a V-6, then you wouldn't have to worry about having "too much" performance from a V-8 running 93 Octane.
Then the thread would have been "The manual says use 87 but will I get better performance if I use 91/93?"

__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #55
TastyBake

 
TastyBake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post


Someone has to say the obvius:

Maybe you should have bought a V-6, then you wouldn't have to worry about having "too much" performance from a V-8 running 93 Octane.These V-8's run much better on 93 octane fuel. My dealer, had put 87 Octane regular in my Rosie, and it felt a bit sluggish. Ran that out of the system, put in 93 Octane (and even though some say it diesn't help manual transmission cars), I did the fuse pull and my seat of the pants performacne evaluation, told me the car ran much better performancewise on 93 octane.

If the difference in price make syou cringe, then run 87 octance. But, no complaining about your car being a bit sliggish need be thrown out on the table later!
Dude, Ease up. The original post just wanted to know if was possible to use 87.

Last edited by TastyBake; 05-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #56
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon
 
greenrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,395
Yes, I realize that was the question, but, then there was all the banter about its a waste of money, not ncessary, ad nauseum.

Hence my comments.
__________________
Member Illinois Camaro Club
His Name is Rosie - "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick!" - If you know who said that, then you know the genesis of his name.

Last edited by greenrail; 05-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.