Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
2012 CTS-V vs 2012 Camaro ZL1

2012 CTS-V

The 2012 CTS-V Coupe is the complete package—a stunning, high-performance sport coupe with overt styling and extraordinary capability on the road. The Eaton-supercharged and intercooled 6.2L V8 engine generates a massive 556 horsepower and 551 lb.-ft. of torque. Put the power to the pavement with your choice of an available TREMEC ® 6-speed manual shifter or Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic. Once launched, performance handling is assured by a Nürburgring ® -tuned suspension fitted with revolutionary dual-mode Magnetic Ride Control that reacts in the blink of an eye to changing demands. And race-inspired Brembo ® disc brakes—6-piston in front, 4-piston in back—deliver massive stopping power. Inside, the driver-centric ****pit features full instrumentation with LED-traced gauges that flash as redline approaches and an available g-meter that communicates lateral acceleration. Available bolstered RECARO ® performance seats keep the driver firmly planted during performance driving. The 2012 CTS-V Coupe. Stunning in every way.

2012 Camaro ZL1

The 580-horsepower, 556 lb.-ft. of torque, 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine can be mated to a Tremec® 6-speed manual (MG9) or HydraMatic ® 6L90 automatic transmission. This aluminum-block engine is based on GM's legendary small block V8 architecture and features an intercooled supercharger system and premium heat-resistant aluminum alloy cylinder heads.

The ZL1 is remarkably comfortable on the street—and capable on the track—thanks to a series of new applications and refinements to the chassis system, including the latest generation of Magnetic Ride technology. The bushings, mounts, dampers and tires have all been tuned for this vehicle's high-performance dynamics. New springs lower the vehicle to reduce its center of gravity for improved braking and handling. Both the front and rear stabilizer bars have been completely redesigned for a dramatic decrease in roll and precisely tuned for perfect handling balance.

ZL1 is equipped with a Brembo ® brake system with massive 14.6" front rotors, and is considered world-class in the high-performance, luxury vehicle niche. The unique, two-piece design provides excellent fade resistance and is engineered to stand up to repeated high-speed stops. Huge six-piston monobloc calipers are asymmetrically laid out in the front, with four pistons in the rear. Brake cooling ducts route air from the fascia to the rotor and caliper.

And the price difference is less than 10k$

Which one you will go for?

Last edited by TriGun; 12-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
The driver-centric ****pit features full instrumentation with LED-traced gauges that flash as redline approaches and an available g-meter that communicates lateral acceleration.

REALLY:..we cant say ****pit anymore without "STAR"-ing it out...this site is hilarious.....

Anyhow: Good question OP....The ZL-1 is a little more in my wallet range but I have a dealer willing to nearly even swap a CTS-V for one of my classic cars.

LUV the V but the Camaro guy in me says to wait for my raise at work and go "Z"....

OK executive decision...money aside it would be the CTS-V!!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
The ZL1 of course. My kids are grown and gone. Well, most of the time! They do come back sometimes. The wife and I are now spending their inheritance, plus we like the looks of the Camaro better.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Regarding some posts in this forum, the ZL1 will have many replica on the streets.

But the CTS-V has a matching performance to the ZL1 and a unique styling although I don't like it.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
I really wish they had added recaro's as a option for the ZL1, those seats are sooo nice to sit on they bolster very well and are very comfortable.
The CTs-V coupe is ugly as sin, the 4 door CTS-V is very sexy, but not ZL1 sexy.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
506JTF

Drives: Invalid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
Regarding some posts in this forum, the ZL1 will have many replica on the streets.

But the CTS-V has a matching performance to the ZL1 and a unique styling although I don't like it.
Yeah but who clones a cts-v? I think for most people, the cts-v lacks that internal desire that people get when they think about the zl1.
506JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Performance wise: The ZL1 is an all round better performer.

Money wise: the ZL1 is less money. Although the V is holding its value surprisingly well, I think the ZL1 will hold it's value better.

Looks wise: All matter of opinion but I like the looks of the Camaro better.

Ride quality: Should be about the same.

The V is more luxurious so it really comes down to that. Does one want luxury or one bada$$ mofo?
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
The driver-centric ****pit features full instrumentation with LED-traced gauges that flash as redline approaches and an available g-meter that communicates lateral acceleration.

REALLY:..we cant say ****pit anymore without "STAR"-ing it out...this site is hilarious.....

Anyhow: Good question OP....The ZL-1 is a little more in my wallet range but I have a dealer willing to nearly even swap a CTS-V for one of my classic cars.

LUV the V but the Camaro guy in me says to wait for my raise at work and go "Z"....

OK executive decision...money aside it would be the CTS-V!!
Are you effing kidding me? They starred out c0ckpit?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
If you're going to the track then go ZL1. If you are a business person and will drive it everyday then the CTS-V. I personally love the look of the CTS-V coupe and the interior quality is a night and day difference with the ZL1. It just really depends on what you are looking for.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Im a muscle car guy. The V is cool, but it sure as hell isnt a camaro. Id rather have the camaro.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
506JTF

Drives: Invalid
The cts v coupe does look like a station wagon... I would take the 4 door cts-v
506JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Who cares what people clone? The ZL1 will be a better collector car and is much more iconic. The V is also nice I would love to have both! But the ZL1 is my choice!
bowtiefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Shoot. the CTS-V is only for those 75 and above! You 75? No? Get the ZL1.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Kluch

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Shoot. the CTS-V is only for those 75 and above! You 75? No? Get the ZL1.
Dude, that stereotype is about as accurate as me saying that a camaro is for guys in wife beaters who can't afford a vette. No need to trash the V to support camaro. We're on the same team. I'll hope you were just joking.
Kluch is offline   Reply With Quote