Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Alky Control Meth Kit w/trunk tank Install

I finally got around to installing my new Alky control Meth kit while I had some time off over the holidays. The install guide was very helpful, but left me with lots of questions given I’m new at this stuff (I had a hard time validating the parts list J). Julio was also taking time off over the holidays, but to my surprise, he quickly responded to all my questions in e-mail! So I was able to complete my install in a few days (taking breaks for family activities). Thank you Julio!

I thought I would include some of what I learned and include some pictures I snapped along the way in case any other newbies are attempting this install. This is not a complete DIY, but may help aid the instructions that are included with the kit. Sorry in advance, I used my iphone for pics and was in my dark garage because it was cold outside...

One thing I liked about this install is I was able to do it in small chunks and the car remained drivable throughout.

I had to go with the trunk mount tank because I have a CAI cold air intake and scoop which already removed my windshield washer bottle which is typically used as the meth tank.

So I started with the tank installation:

Trunk Tank Prep: (you need to supply a bracket and HW to secure the tank)
The tank fits nicely on the driver side of the trunk towards the back (pic 1). You need to pull off the trim around the trunk to fit it into place (start w/the plastic wall on the back, and then the driver side wall – leave the front attached for now and push it up out of the way; I completely removed it later to modify it).

I bought a piece of 1”x1/8” aluminum to bend a bracket to hold the tank in place (Pic 2). I also bought a few 1.5" ¼” bolts to hold it in place. I marked the 2 holes to drill (make sure they are outside of the main support so you can access them from under the car (pic 3)). I put washers on both sides of the bolt and had a helper to secure the bolts in place. (I used a nylon lock nut to secure the tank to the bolts after the side panel was modified to fit the tank – later).

Pic 1: Tank in trunk on drivers side:

Pic 2: Tank bracket w/o tank…on bolts.

Pic 3: Tank bolt from under car…be sure to drill outside of support beam (look underneath before you drill).

Mount Pump:
My pump came mounted to a bracket w/4 rubber spacers and 4 self tapping machine screws. I used 3 of the screws to secure the pump to the spare tire well. Making sure the Styrofoam pump holder still fit in place. The one bottom screw was a pain, so I didn’t bother w/the 4th…it feels solid. (pic 4 shows my initial holes, and pic 5 shows the pump installed and hooked up).

Pic 4: location to mount the pump.

Pic 5: Install Pump – This picture is with hoses and cables hooked up. In hind sight, I would have made the intake hose point to the top of the pump (vs. the bottom as seen here). Then the hose to the tank can be shortened and would be a direct line. The output connector should still point to the bottom of the pump. The one nice thing about the longer intake hose, was it allowed me to move the tank around during the install w/o disconnecting the hose.

Running the hose and wires through the car’s interior (and modifying the trunk’s trim for the tank):
Now we need to remove the back seat and the driver side wall panels (all easier than I thought). I found steps to remove the seat on this forum from terry_b:
Removing Rear Seat

a) There are 2 clips at the front of the seat, about center of the "bucket" portion, one on each side. Firmly lift the seat straight up. Push the seat belt latches through to the bottom of the seat.

b) The bottom portion will fold upward basically flush with the upper portion. It will spring back down so you have to hold it up there.

c) There is a large nut in the center you need to remove, 18mm deep socket.

d) At each corner there are 2 bolts to remove, the one on the bottom is easy to spot but there is one above it partially hidden. 15mm socket

e) Pull the loop to unlatch the upper portion and lift out. Be VERY mindful of the metal at the bottom of the seat to prevent harming your interior trim.
With the seat removed, you can remove the side panels by firmly pulling away from the wall. After the back seat side panel is removed, you can completely remove the trunk driver side wall to modify it (pic 8). Now you can route the hose, pump wires and tank low level wires towards the front of the car. Note the panel next to the drive seat pulls straight up, and the panel by the drive floor mat pulls back toward the back seat. There is plenty of room to route the hose and wires through the side panels. (Pic 7 & 9)

Pic 6: removal of back seat…note the white clips on the front, single main bolt in the middle rear, and 2 bolts on each side rear.

Pic 7: side wall removed allows you to take the trunk side wall completely out and you can route the hose, pump wires, & tank low level wire towards the front of the car. I attached them to the wiring bundle w/zip ties.

Pic 8: I used a razor knife to cut the shape of the tank into the side wall so it could slide in place. I left the insulation connected.

Pic 9: routed hose, pump wires and low level wire along existing loom with wire ties.

Finish the Tank Install.
Now that the trunk panel is modified, and the hose and wires are routed, you can now reinstall the trunk wall panels and then permanently secure the tank. Don’t forget to add the vent hose at the top and feed it through the hole already there (just pull the plug out – it’s in the perfect place) (Pic 10a).

I also took the time here to modify the wheel well cover so it would fit (pic 10).

Then everything fits into place (pic 11).

Last step here is to fit the vent tube…I zip tied my vent end to the rear bumper (cut the hose to length, attach the vent end piece – I had no idea what that wasJ) (pic 12)

Pic 10: Cut a notch for the hose from tank to pump.

Pic 10a: Vent tube through existing hole:

Pic 11: At this point, the trunk sides are all back in place, reinstall the backseat wall panel and reinstall the back seat. Hose and wires are in the driver’s foot area. I also modified the trunk floor carpet by simply cutting a line at the front of the tank to allow the front to lay flat while the back inadvertainly hides the tank (but then remove the trunk floor and wheel well cover as you will need to check for leaks later on…

Pic 12: vent tube zipped tied to inside of the rear bumper:

Finish routing hose:
The wires stay under dash, hose continues through to the engine. So there is an available hole through the firewall all the way to the left of the clutch and about 6-8 inches up. Unfortunately for me, I already had that utilized to the point the hose would not fit. So I had to drill a new hole. I positioned it about 6-8 inches below the pre-existing one. Hose goes through and then eventually the red power wire and green MAP wire come back though from under the hood to under the dash.

Finish hoses & nozzles under the hood:
My hose made it about a 1.5’ through the firewall, that’s where you connect the inline filter (made of 4 brass pieces – all w/arrows – pic 13), and then connect the next longest hose which goes on to the T connector and then the nozzles (Pic 14).

I have a whipple w/a CAI air intake, so there is a thick rubber elbow where the nozzles go. The nozzles come w/2 rubber padded washers that are intended to be inside and outside the air intake tube. I was only able to use the inside washer, and I had to cut off the rubber in order to get the nozzles threaded. (Pic 15).

Pic 13: Inline filter connecting feed hose from pump to the feed hose to the T connector.

Pic 14: Hose from filter connect to T and then to nozzles. Julio recommended the feed hose to run under the air intake tube, but I was concerned about the belt rubbing it. I put a black loom around it and I think it looks good (picture does not have the loom).

Pic 15: Nozzles on thick rubber elbow. Single washer inside w/o rubber.

7) At this point, it’s all wiring It is pretty straight forward…especially when you understand its MAP “OR” MAF converter…I’m embarrassed to say I was trying to figure out how to wire the MAF converter to my MAP signal wire until Julio set me straight (as I stated earlier I’m a new at this stuff).
Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Great job, Thank you for posting
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Skexies
Nobody of Interest

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS A6 'vert "Ra"
Snow suggests running a solenoid between the feed line of the pump and the tank for trunk mounted installations, or where the tank level may be over the nozzle level, or where the nozzles are located after the t-body.

Does anyone know on the LFX, which is the correct MAF signal wire to connect to?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skexies View Post
Snow suggests running a solenoid between the feed line of the pump and the tank for trunk mounted installations, or where the tank level may be over the nozzle level, or where the nozzles are located after the t-body.

Does anyone know on the LFX, which is the correct MAF signal wire to connect to?
Can't help w LFX. Re the solenoid, doesn't the pump act as a solenoid? I'm missing the purpose.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Switch-Link

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS A6 LS3 conversion
Different Method

I used the small braided cables close to the tank and split off from there and ran the longer braided lines to the intake. Just thought it looked cleaner. I didn't want a big "T" connections and all that craziness cluttering the engine bay.

Name:  10488339_650706558330950_5149567261903343367_n.jpg
Views: 4680
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  10494798_650706348330971_338800506337937683_n.jpg
Views: 4409
Size:  77.1 KB
Switch-Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Just wondering if you are still using this kit and how things are working out ?
Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick415 View Post
Just wondering if you are still using this kit and how things are working out ?
Still going strong. I prefer this to e85 simply for convenience. Also love that I can turn it up when needed. I.e. I'm tuned for no meth, but I run with it between 3-4 for octane insurance...afr is low 11s. When weather changes, sometimes I'll see a little random knock...I turn it up to 5-6 and no more knock.

I recommend it for anyone not going e85.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Alky Control Meth Kit w/trunk tank Install

That is great to hear. Octane and cooling would be my top reasons for installing this kit. My only concern from what I have heard on this forum and other CTSV guys is corrosion to the blower. I suppose this is all relative to how much one might be injecting. But if used under boost conditions I am wondering if anyone has had an issues with corrosion over period of time.

How many miles would you say you have put on since installing this kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick415 View Post
That is great to hear. Octane and cooling would be my top reasons for installing this kit. My only concern from what I have heard on this forum and other CTSV guys is corrosion to the blower. I suppose this is all relative to how much one might be injecting. But if used under boost conditions I am wondering if anyone has had an issues with corrosion over period of time.

How many miles would you say you have put on since installing this kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I probably have 15,000 miles on it. No issues. But I'm sure it has some impact.

Tags
alky control, diy, install, trunk tank