Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Turbonetics Camaro system track times?

So has anyone got any track times with the turbonetic kit?
I'm thinking on getting this kit or a 2.9 whipple
I know the Turbo will make more power just wondering if anyone is running it
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Good luck finding an answer...I tried already.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Better off with twins. Call Matt@FSP or Andy@ADM for turbo info.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
jordan 572

Drives: none
Haven't been to the track yet, stock for stock between the to kits the whipple would take it in the quarter. The kit does consist of a lot more parts then a sc but it is unique and makes a lot of power. I am contemplating changing out the turbo as I have maxxed out the stock turbo. Still haven't been to the dyno . I feel the major fault with the turbo kit is getting up the boost in a short quarter mile run, I got a lpe 2 step/timing retard setup so I can build plenty of boost right off the line so that helps a lot. Haven't been to the track either .
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
For comparison, my car has a 76MM front mount turbo and does 8.651 in the 1/8th @ 90.52 MPH. Should be in the high 7 or really low 8 second range at that speed but traction is a major issue. If I had it to do again I would do the suspension, wheels, and tires first.

If you don't mind doing a 90 MPH burnout between two concrete walls with another car beside you then do the turbo. If you want to get horrible gas mileage and still do the same thing then do the supercharger. Either way, it's a lot of fun
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
You must be spinning bad, I just have a full exhaust, cai and tune with drag radials and I went 8.02 in the 1/8, at 87 mph, so you are making the power. I really like the turbo deal...what more can you tell us about your car?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
ElManny has the Turbonetics kit on his auto. The thing makes lots of power and is fun, but I would send him a PM. I don't know if he's had time to check the boards as often as he used to. Tcat is another one with a turbo kit.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
Haven't been to the track yet, stock for stock between the to kits the whipple would take it in the quarter. The kit does consist of a lot more parts then a sc but it is unique and makes a lot of power. I am contemplating changing out the turbo as I have maxxed out the stock turbo. Still haven't been to the dyno . I feel the major fault with the turbo kit is getting up the boost in a short quarter mile run, I got a lpe 2 step/timing retard setup so I can build plenty of boost right off the line so that helps a lot. Haven't been to the track either .
Super laggy becuase the turbo has 10ft. of exhaust tubing between the engine and turbo. Just as bad as a rear mount.
Then you're being hp limited by the single 3" exhaust pipe out of the turbo. You can never really make more than about 700whp out of a single 3" exhaust and even that is really pushing it.

A good twin kit is a solid cure for all that.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
I would think that the turbo kit would have too much lag.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Not much to tell. Car is bone stock with the exception of the turbo kit, FIC 850 injectors, ZL1 pump, and lack of cats. Yes, no traction at all and with the turbo being up front there is very little lag. At 2500 RPM I am at full boost (8 PSI) and I can keep in there all the way down the track. Once I get some drivetrain upgrades, DRs, and suspension mods I will be doing fine but for now the car is useless for the track unless I do it at partial throttle.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
i run a twin rear mounted turbo setup, not an STS, but similiar concept.

my reason for lag is turbo sizing, but if i play it right i can be fully boosted by 3500rpm and in the quarter mile... the only time you reach an RPM lower than that is at launch. To where sometimes it works out for the better as the power level at launching is easier to maintain vs the out of the box power the blower produces.

Turbo kits are known for higher power numbers and more top end to where whipple will get you that down low grunt.

In a quarter mile you will see the turbo usually will have a slower 60ft with a higher MPH and blower will have a quicker 60ft with a lower MPH.

they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

but my vote is save a little more coin for a well built twin turbo kit.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
Super laggy becuase the turbo has 10ft. of exhaust tubing between the engine and turbo. Just as bad as a rear mount.
Then you're being hp limited by the single 3" exhaust pipe out of the turbo. You can never really make more than about 700whp out of a single 3" exhaust and even that is really pushing it.

A good twin kit is a solid cure for all that.
Its pretty obvious that there will be lag and I realize there is a lot of piping between the exhaust valve and turbo but getting rid of the cats helps a ton, changing gears, and once you learn where to keep the rpm, lag is not as big of an issue as its cracked up to be imo. Sure it doesn't have the instant power like a PD but it pulls all the way to redline. The pull suites my personal preference but most like the instant power. That is great but once you start making 650+ whp you can't keep the traction. I regeared, changed out all the bushings, lca, toe rods, etc and put on some 315 drag radials. I can still have traction issues with this setup so I can't imagine what it would be like having a PD with the same power.

As far as maxing out at 700whp your pretty much right there. This kit is not going to make huge numbers like centris or twin kits. The whipple is the only pd I have seen that makes big number, thats usually on engines with big cubes though. Im probably going to change out the stock turbo for one with a bigger turbine, supposedly good for 1200+ crank, . Only thing is I can't go to much farther as I am already pushing the stock bottom end, clutch, trans, axle and diff. Twins will make 1000+ but I am not looking to replace everything in the car, those who do .
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
thats the beauty of a turbo kit. You can adjust boost freely with a low wastegate spring and a boost controller. Yes a twin kit is capable of 1000+ but if you dont need it, just turn the boost down.

After I forge out the motor, i dont need to change a single thing on my turbo kit and i can produce 900whp no problem, just by turning boost up.

Blower you have switch everything out... just saying lol
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote