Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I took my Camaro in for various things and one was a random clunking sound that I occasionally heard when I went over speed bumps in the parking garage at work. The sound was more likely to happen when I was going 10-15 mph and turning right while going over a speed bump and the passenger tire was the first to hit.

Anyhow, the tech that checked it out said it was caused by spring insulators (bushings?) not sitting properly (both driver/passenger). They reseated the insulators and lubed the contact points. Guess I'll find out in the morning when I get to work if this resolved the issue or not.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I took my Camaro in for various things and one was a random clunking sound that I occasionally heard when I went over speed bumps in the parking garage at work. The sound was more likely to happen when I was going 10-15 mph and turning right while going over a speed bump and the passenger tire was the first to hit.

Anyhow, the tech that checked it out said it was caused by spring insulators (bushings?) not sitting properly (both driver/passenger). They reseated the insulators and lubed the contact points. Guess I'll find out in the morning when I get to work if this resolved the issue or not.
I got the clunk on only certain bumps when making right turns. I told my dealer last time It was in too, they said they couldn't find anything. I barely even notice it anymore, either I got used to it or it went away.....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I still heard a slight clunk this morning on the speed bump where it usually happens but it was no where near as loud as it used to be. If it gets loud again, I'll bring it back in to have it checked out again.

I actually expected them to tell me that they were unable to reproduce the problem but at least they were able to do something that seems to have made a difference.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
BlackLS

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Jupiter Chevy still hasn't got the right side strut. Noise still there.
BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
kencarguy
kencarguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS- Inferno Orange w/Black
Front End "Pop"

My 2LT/RS was TIGHT in the front end for the first three weeks, then after driviing on a cobblestone streeet, i noticed a noise in both sides under the front that sounds like a bad strut.

Took it to two dealers. Both heard the noise and replaced the front strut mounts last Fri. under the service bulletin you mentikoned. NO CHANGE. They called Chev-Tech Services who suggested they drive one of the stock units. Shop foreman did that and heard the same noise in three cars.

Chevrolet said no further repairs since it was apparently inherent in all camaros. I went today and drovew another 2LT V6. Damned if it didn't have the same loose sound when i went over a bump or hit a small depression !!!!!!!

I amlooking for some one who has had this problem and got it resolved !

Please let me know!!!

KenCarGuy
2010 2LT/RS V6
Inferno Orange 6sp-Manual
kencarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
kencarguy
kencarguy

Front End "Pop"

I called Chevy Cust. Service today. They say the will call dealer and get back to me. However, since the other caqrs on the lot make the same noise, I am not hopeful that anything will come from it. This is the same sound my 1997 camaro made right before I replaced both front struts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we should ALL complain directly to Chevrolet Customer service at 1-800-222-1020 . Then there is a chance something will be done to fix this ANNOYING PROBLEM !!!
Thoughts??

KenCarGuy
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Customer service won't have any authority to make anything happen. They're just a call center of people whose role is to make you feel better. Rarely can any customer service department make any real changes. What you might try doing is referring the dealer to the forum. Camaro5 has over 19,000 members, and that's a lot missing business if you know what I mean.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
soonerfanru2

Drives: 2ss
Thumbs down replaced upper mounts did not fix

Well they worked on my car. Replaced upper mounts like the bulletin said but it still pops really bad. I can not believe more people are not complaining about this. At slow speeds while going over small bumps in my driveway it sounds like the front end is falling apart. The service guy at my dealer drove it and he agrees it sounds really bad, but thinks new struts would do the same thing until they are redesigned. We will have to keep pushing for this or they will do nothing. I hate driving this great looking car that sounds like a piece of crap after 6000 miles. I do not think a 40000 car should sound worse than my dodge pickup. HaHa not laughing.
soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
camarorick

Drives: .
I had all my TSB's done just before I store my car for the winter, and commented to the service guy about the noise.... He told me that when I take it out next spring, that I should bring it back... Hopefully there's some type of resolution by then.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #24
kencarguy
kencarguy

Drove another "NEW" RSCamaro on the lot... Had the same noise just pulling out onto the highway. Customer service, GM Technical assistance and the dealer all say it must be inherent in the vehicle and nothing can be done until GM recognizes it as a problem and comes up with a "fix" . That sucks!!!!!!!!!

Every owner with a front end "Strut-like" noise should take in their car and register strong complaints so we can get this thing corrected!

KenCarGuy
KenCarGuy@msn.com
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
ZAP 1401

Drives: 2SS/RS/Blk-Blk/L99,
I have the same clunking on both sides of front suspension, less than 400 miles on 2ss-rs auto . Clunking since new.
ZAP 1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
The rental I had back in September had the same clunking with 5000 miles on it.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #27
Merlinnnn

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Same clunking on mine in the front only - rear sounds and feels fine. It's not apples to apples, but my wife's Exploder had the same noise after about 10k miles and it was bad struts - replaced them myself with aftermarket ones and it was fine - still a Ford, but better anyway. My guess with all the people having the same issue is that the struts aren't quite up to par - just not well matched with the front springs or something. I can't imagine all of them being bad already so I bet a good set of Bilsteins will help when they come out with some.
Merlinnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
2300 miles on my car and mine has done this since day one. I also feel a little shake in the stearing wheel. First thing i told my girlfriend when i bought this car was "this car sure doesn't fell solid like my 350z felt".. I just thought this was the norm .....Better question who's doesn't do it?
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote