Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Angry Went from driving home to grenaded engine 2 nights ago with no warning - C'mon Chevy!

So I bought my 1LS new in February 2013 and as of 2 nights ago it is DOA.

I am upset to the point I cannot scream or cry or whatever.

I never abused my Camaro and I always used synthetic oil and did all of my oil changes on time. I got 93k miles from the original tires and I am still on the original brakes at 114K miles.

I just really did not expect the engine to grenade without any warning.

No temp overheats ever. No lights. Driving through an open road at about 60 with the AC on and suddenly the engine light flashes, Service Stabilitrak soon and then a vibration followed by the engine shutting off.

Pulled the spark plug and the electrode is hammered into the core and the center core is pushed up. No good.

Of course no warranty and no help. Just after dealing with my wife's breast cancer coming back 2 years ago and having to work and then care for her. She is surviving......much better than my Camaro engine.

I really was foolish to think that this engine would last 200k to 300k.

We towed it to the dealer tonight after I had pulled the plug to inspect.

Any ideas on what to do? Rebuild or new engine or scrap?

Anyone I could plead my case to that this should not happen?

Thank you for listening!
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Since you had towed to a dealer, I'd wait to see what see what they have to say, then repost here; there are a lot of folks here that may be able to guide you to as to what to do next. Hopefully it won't be anything to serious, As a cancer survivor myself, I wish and pray for your wife's continued success in her winning the battle.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
That’s unfortunate, and that’s probably an understatement.

Like Welker2 said, wait to see what the dealer says.

Do you have FULL insurance coverage? Is it possible they could help you in some sort of way?

Plan for the absolute worst, which sounds like a engine replacement, or a rebuild. Anything above that, would be good to go.
Tyestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
93k on original perellis! I call bullshit. Sorry that happened to you but most of the engines can hit 2-300k no prob

Edit: oops V6. No Perellis

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
That’s unfortunate, and that’s probably an understatement.

Like Welker2 said, wait to see what the dealer says.

Do you have FULL insurance coverage? Is it possible they could help you in some sort of way?

Plan for the absolute worst, which sounds like a engine replacement, or a rebuild. Anything above that, would be good to go.
I would say no, my wife has been in insurance for 30 years and his doesn't look to be a claim that falls under any normal policy. This is a worn part failure not an accident, your insurance is for damage caused by others or you when you have a unexpected incident. Not a factory failure.. that would be a extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
93k on original perellis! I call bullshit. Sorry that happened to you but most of the engines can hit 2-300k no prob

Edit: oops V6. No Perellis
He said the brakes are still good at 114,000 miles so more than 93k but I agree it's still way to soon to have a engine failure
Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
I agree with the group on seeing what the dealer says.. if your the original owner and there was some type of campaign on a part that failed maybe the dealer could go back to GM for relief to help out.
Wish you the best for you and your wife
Old 04-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Sux, to be sure. I think best case scenario is GM / dealer feels it was premature too and makes some type of concession. Being a mechanical device built and designed by flawed human beings, ‘it’ happens on occasion. Keep us posted and best of luck.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Gasoholic

Drives: o
Heres a thought,
rather than sink money into it, see if the dealership is willing to give you anything for a trade in.
You said you bought it new? Did you take it to the same dealer you bought it from?
Never know, they might be willing to give you book value for a trade? I've seen dealers do stuff like that for their preferred customers.
Something about driving home a new car that makes a person forget all their troubles.
Praying and hoping things work out for you and your wife!
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I have a hard time believing this. If you got 93k out of original tires and 114k out of original brakes.....how many miles did you get out of your oil....30k?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
With 114K on the engine, I would hardly call that a manufacturer's defect. In no way am I suggesting it's your fault, but a defect would have shown up long before now.

It's an engine. There are many moving parts, in a very high stress environment. Sometimes stuff breaks.

Sounds to me like it is an issue with a dropped valve or timing. If the plug was destroyed, it was destroyed by something else that broke loose, either a valve dropped or timing went off and piston hit the valve. Or it could be a chunk of carbon came off the valve stem and stuck the valve. If that's the case, it's a casualty of direct injection.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Sux, to be sure. I think best case scenario is GM / dealer feels it was premature too and makes some type of concession. Being a mechanical device built and designed by flawed human beings, ‘it’ happens on occasion. Keep us posted and best of luck.
Agree 100%... Sorry to hear it, but not all well cared for engines last. You do what you can, and keep your fingers crossed. Some good advice so far, and I'd say, if you still want the car, find the most cost effective way to get it back up and running. No sense in dropping mucho $$ into it now. Have a good quality rebuild dropped in there, have the trans serviced, and go for another 100K.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Ok, this is a bit of a confession and I’ll bet I’m not alone. I simply don’t drive my Camaro like I do my other cars. My foot is in it a LOT! I don’t mean bouncing off the rev limiter daily but I drive it like the performance car it was billed to be. And for the most part, LS engines are a fortress but when mine gets to 114K miles, they certainly all won’t be the ‘driven to church on Sunday’ miles. That may play into ‘premature’ fails. Dunno. What say y’all?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Lol, premature failure is during the warranty period. It lasted beyond that. Whether defect, bad luck, failed part, human error, etc., it went beyond what the manufacturer warranted it for.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
junkman

Drives: 14ss
Well, I def wouldn't consider it the norm, but things do happen. I had a 2009 camry that started burning a quart of oil in 1000 miles at 75k miles. I'm not very familiar with the 6cyl cars or what year model motors interchange, but I do know they put it in several platforms and are common enough it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to find a low mileage pullout to swap in. A quick search looks like LKQ has one from a 2015 with 23k miles for $1040 shipped. I've bought quite a few ls motors from them with no issues, I think they offer a 6 month warranty. It would be on you for the swap out, but if you still have that 71 on the road you're not a stranger to turning wrenches.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote